Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2010 5:28:37 PM EDT
Ordering up from a vendor that basically is doing the work for me in terms of installing the DCAEK (or whatever its called kit), as well as night sights for a very fair price.

I have the option of going with the M&P with a safety, or without and am just having a tough time figuring which way to go.

I currently run Glocks, all with 3.5lbs connectors.  I am totally comfortable with them but wouldn't want to go any lighter.

I used to run 1911's and HK's condition one.  I am very familiar with the safety location and almost feel its a nice place to rest the thumb.  I never had any issues forgetting which platform is which, and with the way I draw and reholster, I would activate or deactivate the safety as needed every time regardless of whether or not its there.

So, given the kit that I am installing, do you feel its light enough to warrant going with the safety, or should I keep it consistent with my Glocks that I have been running exclusively for the past year or two?

I suppose a way to simplify this would be....if I get a model with a safety, can it be removed....or if I get one without, can I add it later?

Link Posted: 10/21/2010 6:02:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Get it w/the safety. It's easy to remove and have the holes plugged later on if you decide you don't want it but you can't retrofit a safety.
Tomac
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 6:18:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Get it w/the safety. It's easy to remove and have the holes plugged later on if you decide you don't want it but you can't retrofit a safety.
Tomac

Done and done!  Ordered up one with the safety.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 7:51:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I think once you feel the trigger you'll be happy you have the safety.
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 7:53:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Thats kind of what I was figuring
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 9:20:24 PM EDT
[#5]
There's a safety built into the trigger. Even then, the only safety you should need is in between your ears. Train, train, train and you'll have nothing to worry about. Why have a manual safety that you could potentially forget about in a time is life situation?

The pull on my M&P is lighter than yours is going to be and I have yet to shoot myself.
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 9:21:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Tomac

Removing a safety device from a gun is just food for the lawyers if you ever have to defend yourself.
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 9:32:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I train plenty so no worries my friend, thats not the issue.  As I stated, I'm very comfortable with Glocks and 3.5 lbs connectors.

The manual safety has some appeal for no-look re holstering, and it gives my thumb a nice little shelf to rest on.  Considering that I'm planning on adding a few more guns with thumb safeties to the collection, there really is no downside.
Link Posted: 10/22/2010 3:48:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tomac

Removing a safety device from a gun is just food for the lawyers if you ever have to defend yourself.

Since an M&P w/the safety removed & the holes plugged looks identical to an M&P that never had a safety, how is said lawyer going to know it ever had a safety?
Tomac

Link Posted: 10/22/2010 5:56:12 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tomac

Old argument is old. Removing a safety device is not going to make a good shoot a bad one.  

Link Posted: 10/22/2010 8:36:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Tomac

Old argument is old. Removing a safety device is not going to make a good shoot a bad one.    

Why chance it? Buy a gun the way you want it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2010 9:32:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats kind of what I was figuring

This is good to know. i'm currently waiting for buds police supply to get back in stock so i can order up a M&P 9 TS model. and from the reviews i've read of apex kit i'll probably be adding it too.

let us know how she shoots
Link Posted: 10/22/2010 1:12:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Tomac

Why chance it? Buy a gun the way you want it.

Chance what?

In the years that this stupid fucking internet myth has been around, not one person has been able to cite case law to back it up and show that there is any truth to it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 8:23:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Marksman,

Make sure to post up what you think of your new blaster once you get some rounds downrange.

I've been kicking the tires on a couple and even even *gasp* entertained the thought of replacing supplementing my 1911's with an M&P9 w/thumb safety.

I just have yet to shoot one, so I can't make the jump yet. More reviews will get me closer to making up my mind though.

Congrats on your new toy!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 1:22:18 PM EDT
[#14]
I think as a general rule, if a poster asks if they should have a safety or not then they should get one. It seems to me that they are unsure of themselves and in that case they are better off feeling comfortable.

Cheers
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 1:27:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I recently purchased an M&P 9 w/ thumb safety.  I ordered it with an APEX sear, APEX striker block, and APEX competition striker spring, all installed by G&R Tactical.  The trigger pull is super nice for striker fired Tupperware (a hair less than 4# pull weight).  It's like having a slicked up Glock 19, with 1911/Hi-Power ergonomics.  Actually, aside from the somewhat vague reset (I'm not stuck on the super positive Glock reset like many Glockophiles are), it totally kicks ass on a tuned Glock 19 trigger.  I highly recommend.  As soon as I get my holster made, my Glock 19's will be getting some time in the safe.

My reason for ordering with the thumb safety is as mentioned above - shit can happen when you're reholstering.  With a lightened pull weight, a strap, twig, or whatever, somehow introduced into the trigger guard while holstering, would have a greater chance of pulling the trigger, causing you to shoot yourself in the leg.  Since the thumb safety is in the same position, and same general shape, as those on my primary carry 1911, there's no awkwardness, delay, or doubt in its operation, for me.  As a bonus, it keeps my right hand thumb away from the slide stop when firing, so that I won't accidentally lock the slide with rounds still in the mag, or keep it from locking when I've emptied the mag.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:10:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I think as a general rule, if a poster asks if they should have a safety or not then they should get one. It seems to me that they are unsure of themselves and in that case they are better off feeling comfortable.

Cheers

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:26:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Marksman,

Make sure to post up what you think of your new blaster once you get some rounds downrange.

I've been kicking the tires on a couple and even even *gasp* entertained the thought of replacing supplementing my 1911's with an M&P9 w/thumb safety.

I just have yet to shoot one, so I can't make the jump yet. More reviews will get me closer to making up my mind though.

Congrats on your new toy!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

M&P's are great compliments to 1911's.  A lot of the guys I know who shoot 1911's have purchased M&P's in 9mm for lower shooting cost, and because they're just a solid design.

You're more than welcome to shoot it anytime you want!
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:33:54 AM EDT
[#18]
If you're used to carrying glocks I would get an m&p without a manual safety. This keeps your carry routine the same.
Link Posted: 10/30/2010 5:56:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Cheers

ROFL you have never shot with Marksman.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top