Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2003 12:44:38 AM EDT
Beretta 96  .40 cal

First of all, let me say I really, really like this pistol.
The fit & feel are wonderful.
I wanted something in a .40 for the extra "punch".
It has all the idiot proof safetys that I require in a gun.
Look and design are beautiful...actually Looks like a gun, not something carved out of a Pinewood Derby kit (Glock).

The problem is accuracy, I don't know if I need a trip the the gunsmith or if anything at all can be done for this problem.

Today's trip to the range was disappointing. The target was an IDPA cardboard silhouette at about 15yds. Although I was able to hit the target, the bullets seemed to have a mind of their own.
I improved a bit by dropping to a 155gr. bullet but still not accurate enough. I tried different brands...Winchester 180gr FMJ & HP, Black Hills 180gr HP, Magtech 180gr FMJ,Am Eagle 155gr., Remington Golden Sabre HP.

The 180gr bullet wants to shoot low, ~10 inches below the sight. So far the best has been Golden Sabre's and AE 155gr. for accuracy, but not good enough for me to use this for CCW/personal protection. I do not have confidence in the gun right now for nothing other than range plinking, this is not good.

Is there anyway to improve the accuracy?... ammo change, gunsmith etc?

Could the problem be the shooter?...hell yeah, but since I was able to clean up bullseyes with my .38 snubby, I think the problem may still lie in the gun.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 5:28:50 AM EDT
[#1]
While the .40 is not the world's most accurate cartridge, and the 96 no target model, your experience is certainly not typical. Several local agencies use this weapon and none have any complaints.

Did you sandbag or bench rest the pistol? My guess is that if you are used to a revolver trigger, you may have a problem seen with many shooters...beginning the trigger pull smoothly, then jerking through the "back half", so to speak. This is difficult to diagnose unless you can get video of your finger(s) and the gun while firing. An experienced instructor will watch the gun, the hands and the shooter...not the target...while the shooter is firing.

The fact that 180gr. rounds are impacting low on the target is not the norm. Ususlly, heavier, slower bullets will strike higher and light, fast ones lower. My guess is that you are moving the gun downward, either via your trigger squeeze, or, more likely, by squeezing with the whole hand ("milking the grip). Take as much of the human factor out of the picture as possible and see if the groups don't improve.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 8:05:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Have you tried targets closer then 45ft?  Start out at 10 ft and when you can keep the rounds in the bulleye then and only then move out to 20 ft. Keep this up until you are able to shoot at the distance you want.

BKVic
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 10:01:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I would like to suggest two things:

1)dryfire the gun a lot. See if you're yanking the trigger. Hard to tell this when a live rd is making recoil forces.

2)have someone else try the gun, see if they get the same results? Perhaps a more experienced shooter?

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 7:19:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Try CCI Gold Dot 180's.
They work best in my 96's.
Also, I tend to strike the target low/right.
It's ME.  I just know it.
More practice!
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 5:58:52 PM EDT
[#5]
What I would suggest is that you contact beretta, find out what ammunition would be best, then go from there.  If thing aren't better then seek the help of a gun smith, have him take a look at it.  Otherwise I have never heard of a unacurate beretta pistol.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 9:45:04 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What I would suggest is that you contact beretta, find out what ammunition would be best, then go from there.
Waste of time, IMO. Very few mfgrs actually build their guns for a specific ammo type or weight. Not to mention Beretta actually answering the phone or e-mail.  

Otherwise I have never heard of a unacurate beretta pistol.
They're out there. I had a Sig P-220 that wouldn't group better than 3-4" regardless of ammo or shooter. Everyone puts out a lemon once in a while.

Link Posted: 5/9/2003 6:53:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Run a couple of hundred (or more) rounds through the pistol. Then check the accuracy.

My Beretta 92 seemed to be inaccurate until I "broke it in".  Now it (or me) shoots a lot better. It just "happened". One magazine, the 92 was kinda accurate, the next, it was 10 ring.

If you still have accuracy problems after 2 or 3 hundred rounds, have someone else shoot it and evaluate their accuracy. THEN send it off.
Don't expect too much out of the box accuracy.
They are not target guns.
Sam
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 8:07:45 AM EDT
[#8]
GoVol98,
Start at 10 yards with a proper benchrest and manually cock it so you're firing single-action.  Take your time.  The groups will tighten and once they do continue at 10 yards with proper benchrest, but begin to shot it double-action first shot, single-action second shot.

The drill I used was DA, SA, decock.  DA, SA, decock.  DA, SA, decock...

Once you get the groups you want from the bench you'll have confidence in the Beretta.  Then stay at the same 10-yard distance, but shoot from your normal standing position.  Repeat the same drill as above.

Once you get the groups you want at 10 yards, start moving the target back five yards at a time.  It took me forever to get used to the DA/SA on my 92FS, but it can be done for your 96.  

You have an excellent firearm.  My Glock 23, which is a 40 S&W, I am more accurate with 155g loads than 180g loads.  Notice I said I was more accurate, I am sure the Glock could care...

The important thing to remember is have fun and enjoy your new Beretta; try not to get overly frustrated.  Ask yourself how long did it take where you were a good shot with your .38 snubbie.  Now you are learning a whole new handgun with different handling characterisitcs, sight radius, trigger action, etc.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 3:25:59 PM EDT
[#9]
proof I have one, it is as accurate as needs be, I can shoot 2"-3" holes from 30 feet all day. It is my favorite gun, flawless operation and the 40 S&W is a excellent round. I have no idea why yours is putting rounds all over, except to say operator error. Give it to a known good shot and see what he can do with it, if he punches tight groups, you know you got to work on your shooting skills, as it would have to be you not the gun. If it sprays rounds all over for a good shot, then seek a gunsmith for answers.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 10:26:53 AM EDT
[#10]
a lot of good advice here. I second Bobcole's opinion on calling Beretta. I tried to call once and it picks up, puts you on hold and no one EVER answers. Their phone bill must be outrageous!!!
Anyway, I had a problem with my 96 shooting all over till I got about 200-300 rounds through it.  cyanide had a good idea too. If you see someone at the range shooting a 92/96 with good groups, ask them to shoot yours. I never pass the chance to put rounds through a gun.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 1:01:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Well you just better sell me that gun.  I'll give you $50 cash.  I'll even pay for shipping.  I wish!  No really, the 92 is inherently more accurate than the 96.  It has more to do with the .40 cartridge than gun.  9mm naturally shoots more accurately.  What you need is to throw away that .40 barrel and get a .357 Sig barrel.  Then you will be much happier.  The .357 Sig is as or more accurate than 9mm and much more powerful.  Its also slighlty faster than the 9mm and .40.  Right now, ammo is a tad more expensive than .40 but soon prices will come down as more factory loads are released.  I get .357Sig ammo for $.65 a box more than .40.  I switched the barrels because I like the .357 caliber in revolvers so I wanted something almost identical in semi-auto.  I like very fast bullets as opposed to the big heavy slow .45.  I know all you guys are going to gripe that the .357 Sig and .40 and 9mm and nothing compared to a .45 but I would rather have 15 round of .40 or .357 sig over 8 rounds of .45.  A bigger bullet isn't going to do you any good if you are out or just plain miss.  No I'm not a bad marksman and make up for it by having more bullets but I like being able to have two bullets placed strategically than have one big one just thrown into the torso.  Good luck with making that 96 accurate, Its a good gun but as said you may need to "break it in" more than a 9mm and you may need to adapt your shooting style slightly.  I know I had to when I went from revolver to a Beretta.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top