Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2006 4:02:56 PM EDT
Went to the range today and fired about 100 rds through five different 15-rd mags.  The slide would not lock back on the last round with any of the mags.  

It would lock OK if I manually pulled the slide back on an empty mag, though.  I have the feeling the slide is travelling forward faster than the spring tension can push up on the slide lock/release.

Absolutely no other problems.  Mag spring too light?
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 4:13:22 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Went to the range today and fired about 100 rds through five different 15-rd mags.  The slide would not lock back on the last round with any of the mags.  

It would lock OK if I manually pulled the slide back on an empty mag, though.  I have the feeling the slide is travelling forward faster than the spring tension can push up on the slide lock/release.

Absolutely no other problems.  Mag spring too light?

My guess is, pay attention to where your right thumb is while shooting.  I had to train my right thumb to stick more vertical because it was resting on the slide stop.  When I keep it straighter up, wallah, locks back.  That was what my problem was.   Take a look at your grip, given that you do it the same every time, and see if that could be the problem.  When this happen to me, I though it was my pistol too.

I wrote this assuming your gun is new to you, but I suppose it's pertinent either way.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 4:29:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Thats....just.....crazy enough to WORK!

I've owned this pistol for about five years, but this is only the second time I've shot it.  I just drew down on spongebob a few times and realized that it's quite possible that I'm doing just what you described.

Back to the range next week.  Thanks for the quick reply.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:14:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Have different shooters try it & see if they experience the same problems? Since all the mags do it, I'm also leaning towards operator error.......................................      
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:23:00 PM EDT
[#4]
new recoil spring ? (spring too strong)?
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:23:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
new recoil spring ? (spring too strong)?

that's what i was thinking.  either that or you would be far from the first guy whose thumb fucked with the slide stop. i've seen several threads of either "my slide locks after every shot" or "my slide doesnt lock after last shot" and the problem occured about arms length behind the pistol
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:40:27 PM EDT
[#6]

pay attention to where your right thumb is while shooting.  I though it was my pistol too.

I am an owner of 9 Beretta's, a Beretta armorer, been carrying a Beretta on duty for 14 years, and a medaled competition shooter with the M9 when I was in the Marine Corps, and I still do this.  If you're shooting straight with the grip you have, keep it.  Train for it, and learn to rack the slide on every reload.

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:50:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Gotta watch those thumbs....
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:49:15 AM EDT
[#8]
My guess is you're riding the slide lock.  It doesn't take much pressure at all to keep it from operating as intended.

I intentionally ride the slide lock to prevent it from inadvertently locking back but I'm an IPSC shooter so go figure.

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:34:32 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I am an owner of 9 Beretta's, a Beretta armorer, been carrying a Beretta on duty for 14 years, and a medaled competition shooter with the M9 when I was in the Marine Corps,

So you're saying you shoot Glocks??????????????      
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top