Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2006 6:08:43 PM EDT
I'm not new to pistols, but I am new to the Beretta line. I saw a "used" Beretta 92FS in my local gunshop for $499. I am wondering if this would be a good price. The tag states:

"Beretta 92FS Spec., Blackened Stainless, 9mm"

Can anyone tell me a little bit more about this model? I tried to do a search, but couldn't find any info here or on the Internet. The pistol comes with:

-Two 10-rounders
-Original grips
-Grips that looks like a "grey" Hogue wraparound with finger grooves...but it has the Beretta symbol on them.

The pistol looks almost brand new, with NO finish wear...save one small pin-head sized area of exposed metal on the rear of the backstrap. Is the frame steel or aluminum? As alway, any/all info is most appreicated.

-Mickey
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:40:14 PM EDT
[#1]
the frame is aluminum.

the pistol should come with 15rd mags, but it's not a major issue, 15rd ones are cheap and abundant.

it's a great pistol.  not sure what you want to know about it. i have one and carry it everywhere.  I love it. Very accurate, utterly reliable, and actually LOOKS beautiful to boot.

$500 is right where the price should be for this gun.

if you have any more specific questions, post here or IM me, though I will be going out of town until thursday.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:35:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info Napoleon. I thought the slide was aluminum...but wanted to make sure. I just read an article in G&W for LE that gave a great overview of the different 92FS platforms.  

I guess I was more specifically looking to know if this particular model (blackened stainless) was a specific product offering by Beretta. I read a post where someone "thought these were limited run", and the tag's "spec" marking made me thing this...so I was just looking for confirmation. I was also wondering if Beretta offered this as a combo package (two style of grips)...that added any higher value to the original MSRP. Either way, I'm going to pick it up today. Can't beat the fact that it looks new and is $85 less than a NIB model. Thanks again for you reply!

Regards,
Mickey
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:48:13 AM EDT
[#3]
the blackened stainless steel slide was a limited production run.   mine has a 4.7 inch barrel as opposed to a 4.9 inch barrel.  it was made for some police department a few years ago.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:25:20 AM EDT
[#4]
As long as that is the blackened stainless model that price is fair, but for a used 92FS that price is high. A new one can be had for about $75 more and your assured how many rounds actually went down the barrel regardless of how it looks. $450 is about right for nice a standard 92FS around here and on Gunbroker also from what I've seen.

As for the pistol being a great pistol that's a given. Beretta makes one of the best pistols in the world. Very reliable and accurate. Here's a link about takedown and maintenance that should be helpful. To lube the pistol try a good firearm grease like Tetra, Militec or XF7. They work better for slide to frame lubrication plus parts and stay in place compared to just oil. Use oil for the places you can't get to with the grease.
A good price on extra mags can be had at CDNN and having done business with them more than a few times, their good to deal with.

Maintenance

CDNN 92FS MDS mags(factory)

Beretta pistols
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:27:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I thought the slide was aluminum...

FWIW, I'm not aware of any slides that aren't some sort of steel. Yes, there are a few .22 conversion kits that use aluminum slides, but those are aftermarket add-ons.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:21:21 PM EDT
[#6]
thank for the additional input guys.

-blueinterceptor: I just measured my barrel and it's 4 and 7/8 inches. Who does this affect my ability to mount a suppressor? The entire reason I bought this was because I wanted the most reliable supressed platform.

-Achilles: Thanks for the great advise about using grease vs. oil...and for the great links too.

-BobCole: Yeah, I knew the slide and barrel were steel, but I wasn't sure if just my pistol (product offerings) or ALL 92FS were "blackened stainless stee". I thought I read that Beretta used some other type of protective coating for their slides and barrels.

Thanks again to everyone for the advice, input, and info you've provided.

Regards,
Mickey
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:24:19 PM EDT
[#7]
i do not know about a suppressor but it sounds like you have a full  length barrel.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 2:21:43 PM EDT
[#8]
For all things Beretta, go to: Beretta Forum

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:48:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I just bought a brand new Beretta 92FS at the gun show in Dale City for $499, new in box with 2 15 rounders. It's my second FS, and I love them both.
(+$5 record check, + tax, total $531.25)

And then Laser Grips, holster, 4 more mags, 1000rds of 9mm, bag, cleaning supplies, etc, it was an expensive trip. have

As for suppressors, I saw a couple of threaded barrels on eBay for the FS ($120-$150), but surprise, surprise, they were gone a couple of days later. I guess if you see them you have to act fast.

Back on the subject:

Unless it is some special model, it is hardly worth the price (as a used gun). Still, it is a great gun, and for a dealer I guess an OK price.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top