Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2005 4:41:36 PM EDT
Will a Beretta 92 FS hold up to +P ammunition?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:48:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, they put a block on the grips to keep the slide from hitting you if it breaks. M9s are used with ammo that is marginally hotter than +P.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:57:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:13:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I think that they've got a little air bag built into the back of the slide now.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:24:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:29:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Better play it safe.  Send me the 92FS.  
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:13:44 AM EDT
[#6]
No they're not.  The manual states DO NOT USE +P or +P+ ammo.

MBR
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:14:38 AM EDT
[#7]
On my third M-9/92FS (all have seen more than 60K each by myself) that have been feed mostly +P ammo all along.  The first two pistols are well over the 80K mark by friends that I have sold them to.

Could be that since Beretta has been throwing in plactic parts, they have de-rated the comercial 92's to keep the platic parts from breaking with the stonger ammo.  So if this is the case and you just have to shoot +p ammo, then buy a military spec'd M-9 instead (92FS with all metal parts, and no warning stampings on the slide/frame.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:00:58 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
No they're not.  The manual states DO NOT USE +P or +P+ ammo.

MBR

I don't trust gun related technical documents that were written by lawyers.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:38:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Using your logic, any ammo that doesn't blow the gun up should be OK then, right?  The lawyers may have had a hand in writing the manual, but I'd bet you a dollar it was written by someone with just a wee bit more technical knowledge.  I know if a gun manufacturer (or any manufacturer for that matter) tells me their product will not handle something, I'll probably follow their advice.  After all, in this day and age of bigger, better, faster, I realy don't think they'd tell you not to do it unless there was good reason.  It makes their product less appealing when compared to the competition that CAN handle +P ammo.  Not to mention the fact that after you blow your face off, if it can be shown you fired juiced up ammo, in deference to the manual, you won't get shit anyhow.  But you go ahead and do whatever you want.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 1:09:49 PM EDT
[#10]
MBRMan.

The M-9 gets feed the same ammo as the MP-5 in the services, which is +P ammo.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:08:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Short version: yes, +p and +p+ are OK.
The following long version comes from the old Beretta-L email list on 2003-03-18:

(this is an official letterhead statement by Beretta USA's General Counsel)

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN

Re: Use of +P+ Ammunition in
Beretta Model 92 Series Pistols

"P. Beretta S.p.A. has concluded additional tests on the above-referenced ammunition and now advises us that this ammunition is not detrimental to the 92 Series pistols. More specifically, although higher pressure loads can wear out a pistol (whether made by Beretta or any other companies) faster than lighter loads, our analysis indicates that +P+ loads are less wearing on Beretta Model 92F weapon performance than even M882 military issue ammunition. Since our typical experience with M882 ammunition is that 92 series pistols can handle this ammunition without significant detrimental effect and with extreley high levels of reliability, feeding, ejection, etc., +P+ ammunition can also be safely used in our Beretta 92 Series pistols. Since Beretta U.S.A. does not control the manufacture of +P+ ammunition and cannot predict the pressures of future production lots, we continue to advise those who inquire that they should, as when using any type of ammunition in any firearm, routinely clean and inspect the weapon for signs of fatigue or other problems caused by the ammunition."

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:05:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, I guess new information has come out since my two 92FS manuals were written...I digress.

MBR
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:05:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Well, I guess new information has come out since my two 92FS manuals were written...I digress.

MBR

All they were doing originally was CYA.  Or not yours but theirs.  I woulnd't hesitate to shoot plus P ammo.  It is very good to know they ar ok with plus p plus also.  Which is what alot of LEO's ar shooting, I think.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top