Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/10/2022 9:21:32 PM EDT
Warning, this is a bit of a safe thread in progress.... I won't be done for a few months. I love Resident Evil and the Samurai Edge handguns. I have a few of the models, but Wesker's model was always elusive. The most current rendition is impossible to make in my opinion for the following reasons:

- Can't weld 7075 reliably
- Can't mill M92A1 frames because serial number would be milled off
- Beretta nor nobody else sells full length dust cover 92 frames

So I decided to mimic the RE1:Remaster version which I believe is doable. It looks like it has a full length dust cover (via grafted on extension) and extended beavertail. I am scratching these parts and epoxying and pinning them in place. The epoxy is to fill minor gaps, the press fit pins will be for strength. All the pins will be ground down so they are as invisible as possible.

I know of no other frames in the world like this, maybe this thread will inspire others or help show my mistakes so you don't make the same. Excuse my messy bench, I'm conserving my Grandfather's Winchester 63 and I have shit everywhere.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/10/2022 9:58:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Following.

This is a cool project. Wish they'd have done more with the backstory of STARS.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 8:33:14 PM EDT
[#2]
More progress... The serial number is a real bitch trying to decide what to do if you are trying to follow all the appropriate laws, regardless if your intentions are only good. That is why unless you machine the frame from scratch, you are limited to the RE1:REMAKE rendition, which only appears in that game. RE4 and onwards, Wesker has a slightly different frame that is not feasible. I am going to go through and hand fill burrs and add radii where I want them. Then I will bring all the surfaces to an even surface to match the frame finish.

Thanks for looking.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/13/2022 8:34:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Following!
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 1:28:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Looking good!
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 6:05:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Well I cleaned up some of the machined surfaces. I didn't realize until later that the rear pin hole was too low and canted the rail ever so slightly. Before the epoxy dried, I decided it was not good. So I pulled the pins out, cleaned everything up, and plugged the bad whole with a pin. This model Beretta is a little fatter there so I'm not concerned about strength. All you professional machinists and people with access to a machine shop, please don't rail on me too hard, I'm trying my best with what's available to me. It reminds me of shortened Japanese swords with multiple mekugi ana. Oh well, it will clean up nice when I am done.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/13/2022 6:06:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 6:08:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 6:09:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 6:13:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kingdead] [#9]
And here is where I realized it was canted. Maybe only a degree or two, but I noticed it. I disassembled everything and cleaned off all the epoxy. I'll re-drill in a different spot and clean up the prior holes so they blend in. It will be fine. I'm a beginner and it's a project, I expect to run into issues here and there.

Attachment Attached File

The 1st hole I broke a drill bit. The 2nd hole is the most recent that caused the canted rail. Both have been plugged with a stainless dowel and sanded flush.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/14/2022 12:20:20 AM EDT
[#10]
OK, I repositioned the rail and re-drilled the rear set of pins. Epoxy is setting up now. I'll have to file down the taper pin heads and epoxy once everything is dry.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/14/2022 3:20:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Keep the updates coming. I love watching people do projects. Do you have a better picture of what you want the final result to look like?
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 3:54:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 4:06:54 PM EDT
[#13]
OP :
What will you do for the extended beavertail?
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 12:16:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By m4nut:
OP :
What will you do for the extended beavertail?
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/15/2022 12:19:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Yes thank you for posting. I am going off of the RE1:REmake screen captures the most, but this is close. The gun evolved slightly throughout the games (ultimately to a form I don't think is possible). There are areas I had to guess at geometry or modify to actually fit a gun (the game developers aren't necessarily concerned with accuracy or realism).

Questions like "do I make the rail match picatinny dimensions or go off of general appearance and shape from the game?" are a good question when making something that isn't real. I'm trying to strike some balance of looking like the game and being functional / strong so it isn't a china doll.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 12:23:22 AM EDT
[#16]
OK so I finished the rail section tonight. I was going to shrink my photos, but it's a pain with so many. Hopefully they aren't too big.

1) Filed down all protruding pins.
2) Sanded surfaces smooth. You can see the pins, but you can't feel them. I'm thinking with the Cerakote, they will mostly disappear.
3) Added small radius to top of rail so the slide wouldn't bind. I noticed this when check fitting a slide to the frame.
4) Cleaned up rail slot cut where it tapers off towards the end. I hate using dremel tools but sometimes it's necessary if you don't have a special cutter.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/15/2022 12:24:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 12:25:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 12:26:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 12:29:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 12:30:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 12:31:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Also, this rail rings true when tapped against a hard object. It is solid and I had good squeeze out of the epoxy in the gaps so I think it is a very solid joint. Thanks for looking.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 2:05:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Cool project. Good luck with it. Look forward to seeing more.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 3:14:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Just a reminder, but give yourself a hand when you are hand filing. Making a quick, adjustable jig can help the accuracy of your handfiling a lot if you only have to pass a visual test.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/15/2022 6:38:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Outstanding!
Keep 'em coming!
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 11:04:18 PM EDT
[#26]
I put the assembly back in a mill to true up some of the surfaces. Basically the rail was true, but when I pinned it I was off a little (or the Beretta frame had inconsistencies at it's extremities). I cleaned up the surfaces surreptitiously so when you look at it, it is true in most angles.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/15/2022 11:05:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 3:46:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Your project is really turning out good, I can’t wait to see it done.
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 4:05:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Looking good , don't you hate there so many cool 92s from media that you can't have lol, the auto 9 , long slide 92 for black lagoon etc.
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 9:53:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KissMethod17] [#30]
I love Samurai Edge Projects. This is going to be sweet. Nice job. I just got done beating RE1: Remaster.
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 3:19:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Getting closer on the beavertail. It's not done but I'm leaving myself some extra stock for cleanup after this joint is epoxied and pinned.

Hope you are all going good and thanks for looking.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/21/2022 3:21:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 5:54:52 AM EDT
[#33]
If I ever got a Beretta, would I put STARS grips on it? Yes, yes I would.
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 7:52:21 AM EDT
[#34]
this is exactly the kind of project I enjoy doing... I have customized many over the years and people called me crazy for taking a cutoff wheel, a grinder, a file, or a welder to any firearm...
this is a great project and you are doing a great job... I have subscribed to this thread , and can't wait to see the progress and the finished pistol... one of a kind...hand made...replica...priceless!
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 8:56:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Not a fan of that version of RE Berettas, but definitely impressed by your work. Congrats and keep it up.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 6:50:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kingdead] [#36]
Waiting on a #5/0 taper reamer. I have #4/0, but I don't think it leaves enough wall thickness on the frame or the beavertail. I'll go from 2 to 3 pins for added strength. I'll do the final filing of the beavertail once it is pinned in place.

I also have some custom stamps made to add in some proof marks.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 1:03:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Got my #5/0 taper reamer. Attached the beavertail tonight. Added a 0.003" shim to make everything super tight. It took a lot of force to insert the beavertail again, but I want a tight lockup in addition to the taper pins.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/24/2022 1:04:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 1:05:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 9:02:09 PM EDT
[#40]
OK, a mini update. I hacksawed off the pins and did a preliminary cleanup. I need to work on the lines and then the finish of the beavertail. It's getting there though! Joint feels very strong (0.003" shim made it extremely tight), but I don't want to bang it around too much to test it.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/24/2022 9:03:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 9:05:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Despite being the ugliest of all the Samurai Edge pistols, I actually like how the exaggerated beavertail feels in the hand. If I had to take a Beretta into combat, I'd maybe want something in-between this and a regular 92/96 design for a beavertail. It does give it a somewhat sinister look that fits Wesker's character in my opinion.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/24/2022 11:09:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Keep the updates coming. Awesome so far and I don’t even know about the show or game this is referencing.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 11:52:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By hollowhandle:
Keep the updates coming. Awesome so far and I don't even know about the show or game this is referencing.
View Quote

Resident Evil 3 Nemesis Stars Voice

Link Posted: 2/24/2022 11:55:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kingdead] [#45]
OK, finished the beavertail. Waiting for some more $$$ and custom proof stamps before I send the frame and slide for work and refinishing. The joint is very strong, it was able to withstand all my filing and finishing. Hasn't loosened or wobbled. I silhouetted the beavertail to help make sure it had good flow. After that, I ensured the sharp edge on both sides was even thickness.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/24/2022 11:56:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 11:57:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 11:58:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 12:10:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kingdead] [#49]
Originally Posted By polishkebasa:
Looking good , don't you hate there so many cool 92s from media that you can't have lol, the auto 9 , long slide 92 for black lagoon etc.
View Quote
Yea.. I see so many cool guns from movies and games that I want. I'm getting bored with off the shelf guns now.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 12:11:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By gunwolf:
this is exactly the kind of project I enjoy doing... I have customized many over the years and people called me crazy for taking a cutoff wheel, a grinder, a file, or a welder to any firearm...
this is a great project and you are doing a great job... I have subscribed to this thread , and can't wait to see the progress and the finished pistol... one of a kind...hand made...replica...priceless!
View Quote
Thank you. Hope you are doing OK.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top