Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2009 5:18:50 PM EDT
I was at the local gunshop the other day and the Sig Sauer Mosquito caught me eye. I really liked it. Fit nicely in my hand. Single action dry fired very nicely.

Does anyone have experience with this handgun? Accuracy for target shooting? What do you use for ammo?

Comments? Concerns? I appreciate the feedback!
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:20:33 PM EDT
[#1]
This is my GF's. It likes CCI Mini Mags. It jams on the bulk pack stuff.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:05:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I love my mosquito!  I may be one of the lucky ones though, as mine chews through federal bulk pack all day, I never had to break it in with anything fancy either.  I just make sure its lubed before shooting and its good to go.  The one thing I dislike is the triggers very long, hard pull.  I've never really shot it for accuracy, just fun plinking at clay pigeons and what not, and for that it's plenty accurate.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:50:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought one as my first gun, and although it gets a lot of bad rep online, mine has been fine. She'll eat Federal bulk and CCI minimags with no problems, but she doesn't seem to like Remington golden bullets too much. Just keep her clean and lubed and find out what ammo works. Accuracy isn't bad on it, but I seem to be much better with my P6. I'm actually looking to sell mine simply to make more room for another gun. *hint*
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:14:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:34:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Hated my Mosquito, it jammed a lot.

Like other said, it eats CCI mini-mags all day long... and after a couple hundred rounds of just mini-mags, it seems to have become less picky.  Still very susceptible to limp-wristing, so it doesn't make a great beginner gun.

Overall, I've grown to like mine but wouldn't buy another one; if you buy one don't expect it to work with the cheapest of .22 ammo.

-WhyTanFox

ETA Magazines are expensive at nearly $40 a pop.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:50:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I am looking for something to use to practice on a regular basis so I don't think this is going to work with the expensive ammo requirement.

I don't have any other Sig's so I can't do a conversion.

Oh, well. back to the drawing board.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:30:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:37:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I am looking for something to use to practice on a regular basis so I don't think this is going to work with the expensive ammo requirement.

from day one my mosquito has been good to go. never had to use anything but the cheapest ammo I can find.

I refuse to use expensive .22 ammo, so federal bulk from walmart is all I feed it.

the plastic mag will only feed 9 rounds reliably, so I picked up a couple more factory metal ones, they all work great.

mine is the threaded mosquito, so I dont know if that affects reliability, but I wouldnt sell mine for anything.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:32:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Just had my Mosquito at the range for the first time today.  Probably put about 250-300 rounds of Remington Golden Bullets through it with a handful of failure to ejects, and they all came at the end of the day so I think it had something to do with being dirty.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:07:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I don't have any other Sig's so I can't do a conversion.

Oh, well. back to the drawing board.

Don't give up yet.

I don't have a Mosquito, but I have a Walther P22.  It's the same type of gun, but slightly smaller.  The two pistols have the same "issue" in that you read a lot of negative comments, and prospective buyers can easily get disheartened . . . but I suspect that most of them work just fine.  Plus, 100% reliability is not really a "requirement" of a .22 practice gun, even though it might be in your carry gun.

The Mosquito is one of a very few .22 pistols that are the same shape and size as "real" combat pistols.  That's a big advantage in my book.

If I were in the market for another .22 pistol, I'd buy the Mosquito in a heartbeat.

And I definitely recommend having a .22 trainer pistol; that was the reason I bought my P22, and the amount of money I spent on the pistol ($300+) was saved almost immediately in ammo.  The alternative was getting familiar with pistol shooting using a 9mm or .45, either of which gets expensive quickly.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 6:56:56 AM EDT
[#11]
I still really like the Mosquito and will keep an eye out for a deal but I am leaning towards another .22 for my target practice pistol.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top