Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2006 2:25:19 PM EDT
I have couple of 229's neither of which have over a couple of thousand rounds through them. I began to have failure of the slide to completely chamber a round in one of them. I bought a new recoil spring and the problem was solved. I will be damned if today  I didn't take the other 229 out and the same thing started happening. My question is at what point/rounds should you replace your spring because a couple of thousand rounds seems a little early for the spring to weaken that much.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:16:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Anybody?
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 4:10:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Most all springs are about the same, after about 1000 - 2000 rounds you should replace them. This all depends on factors such as how stout of a load you are using, how rugged the spring and the original power of it.

If you are like me and your life may depend on it, then replace all recoil springs at 1000 rounds. I do this with my XDs, 1911s, and SIGs

What makes anyone think a spring that handles the recoil of a gun will last forever is beyond me.
Considering you can get them from MidwayUSA for $8 or the complete tune-up from Sig for $30 thats pretty good.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 5:29:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess I'll beordering several for backup when needed. I guess the Sig springs just wear out faster than the ones on my Glock 22. I've put about 6K through it without any problems, but I'll be ordering a new one for it as well.  Thanks for the input sfcfister.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 5:52:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I guess I'll beordering several for backup when needed. I guess the Sig springs just wear out faster than the ones on my Glock 22. I've put about 6K through it without any problems, but I'll be ordering a new one for it as well.  Thanks for the input sfcfister.

Just because you haven't had "problems" with the Glock doesn't mean the spring shouldn't have already been replaced.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 6:23:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I think SIG recommend that you get a parts kit and replace the parts every 5K.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 10:35:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Man! I do 1000 rounds in less then 2 weeks! I'd be rebuliding my Sig every other month if I did what some are doing. I have not touched a spring on my 229 in 10,000 rounds at least and have 0 failures. I will be replacing it soon though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top