Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2006 7:26:19 PM EDT
Someone told me that the Beretta 92 mags will fit and work in the sig 226 and 228.  Is this true?
Sorry for the dumb question...
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:44:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I had the opportunity to try this the other day, strangly it never occured to me.....

My guess, probably not.   Someone who owns both will confirm this shortly I imagine.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:19:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I can invision some type dremil work involved to make the mag catch work correctly.  Some one who has both will have to tell us...  92/96 mags are so much cheaper.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:27:55 AM EDT
[#3]
The mag catch holes are in completely different places.  The Beretta is much lower than the Sig.  The bodies seem quite close in shape though.  Almost identical except for the catch holes and the shape of the slide lock cutout.

The Beretta 92 mag in the Sig P226 does not lock in place.  It doesn't lock the slide back either if held in place.

If the mag ban was still on, I'd say it might be worth fiddling with, but it looks like a little too much work to make questionable functioning mags to dick with them nowdays.

I'd say the answer is no, not without alot of work, and even then they probably wouldn't be 100%.

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:44:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info Ross.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:35:47 AM EDT
[#5]
It is possible to cut a new mag catch slot and make a Beretta mag work in a 226.  If you are very careful you can cut just enough for it to latch in the 226 and still work in a Beretta.  Too much and the Beretta catch will latch in the new higher slot you cut for the 226.  That was critical because during the ban if you did such a "conversion" the mag had to still fit the original gun or you were in violation of the ban.

I actually made a 3 way mag out of a 92 mag back during the ban.  I cut a slot for a 226 and cut a hole for a Springfield XD since it latches on the front of the mag.  So I have a mag that will work in 3 different guns.

The biggest problem was the slide stop.  The Sig and Beretta followers are different enough that you would need to swap Sig followers into the Beretta mags to get the slide stop to work.  (I bought some 226 followers from Sig back when I was playing with this).  Beretta followers work fine in an XD so I could leave the Beretta one in until I wanted to use the mag in the 226.

Never did more than the 1 mag because it was so easy to screw up a mag trying to get the catch cut just right.  Now if you have a mill you probably could do it and make it look factory.  Still would need the Sig followers though.

I would never trust such a converted mag for more than range use.  With the ban gone it just isn't worth the trouble to do it IMHO.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top