Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2005 8:06:49 AM EDT
Anyone do it?  What methods and how does it work out?  I'm 5'11" / 160 lbs, if anyone's a similar build and has any advice let me know please.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:27:53 AM EDT
[#1]
How about a P229 9mm? That close enough?

I carry it in a pancake holster on my belt when the weather is cool enough to wear a jacket/coat, and mostly in a fanny-pack in hot weather, although sometimes in the holster under a shirt/T-shirt.

My build is not the same as yours, but I don't think that is going to really make that much difference.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:59:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I carry my 226 from time to time.  Because I had a limited holster budget when I got the gun I use a Galco Matrix.  It is comfortable and conceals well.  The only issue is that there is absolutly no retention.  As for build I am 6' 1" and 200lbs.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:45:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I carry either of my SIG 226 9MMs in a safepacker.

As soon as I can I'm adding both of my 226R .40s to my CCW card.    
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:45:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Try a wilderness instructors belt and a Milt Sparks IWB holster.  That's what works for me.

I prefer their Summer Special holster over the Versa Max 2, since the former holds it closer to the body and is therefore more concealable.  But both are excellent holsters.

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:34:53 PM EDT
[#5]
i do it

i'm 5'7" at 150 lbs

i carry in a ctac with a wilderness tactical belt.  it does tend to get a little heavy, but that's about it- and that's only after i've had it on all day long.  i have concealed it under a t-shirt before- but i would be careful about doing that- but i'm a good deal smaller than you are- so you might not have such a problem.

but yeah, if you drop the money on a decent rig it can be done.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:47:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I carry a P220 in a Blade Tech IWB with no problems. I'm 5'6" 160#.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:27:24 AM EDT
[#7]
I hae carried a P226 9mm for years.  I am 6' 2" and 200 pounds (thanks to the holidays).  I use a Milt Sparks Watch Six.  The mouth is not reinforced, so a one handed re-holster takes a little practice, but honestly if you end up drawing the weapon for self defence does a one handed re-holster seem very important?  

The Watch Six is great because without the reinforced mouth, it is incredibly thin, made of quality horsehide and will last many, many years.  And... to top it all off, it is cheap for a hand made holster... just takes a long time to get one.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:18:58 PM EDT
[#8]
All the time, good heavy belt, pancake holster and loose shirt have only been "made" once.
P226 with two spare 17rd mags. I make gun leather so I do a lot of field testing different holsters.

So far I have found a high ride strong side, pancake with moderate "FBI" rake, to work the best for the big pistols.

I am 6 ft,  230 but not fat so I can conceal large guns like the Sigs and Beretta 92.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top