Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/14/2013 7:54:43 AM EDT
I have a 229 in .40 I bought 15 years ago as my first handgun purchase. I have always loved the way the gun felt in the hand and it's very accurate, but never could make quick follow up shots with it. My interests moved on to CZ and Glock and the old 229 hasn't seen much action for a long time. Well after watching Top Shot the other night I got to thinking about my old 229 and wondering if the new SRT trigger would improve it for me. I ordered one from Top Gun along with some stainless steel grip screws. It was easy to install taking about 10 min after watching a youtube video. I've only dry fired it so far, but man did it make a big difference. I'm going take it down to the farm on Tuesday and put some rounds through it for the real test.

" />
Link Posted: 7/14/2013 12:27:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I have been thinking of doing the same with my newly acquired P229-40. Just got back from the third range trip with it and have to say that I like it alot. Already have a P220R SRT and installed a SRT kit in my P245. So I know that the trigger feel can be improved.

I like everything else about the gun and think a SRT kit would make it a very nice shooter. Have a P220 kit already and have read that it will work on the P229. Just keep the original de-cocker.
Link Posted: 7/16/2013 3:23:25 PM EDT
[#2]
229 .40cal owner here, too.

Think I'll be doing the same. Going to check out who has the SRT kit in stock.

Edit:

Looks like this is it?

SRT Top Gun

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 6:06:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I put the SRT in my 226 and my 239. Zero regrets and recommend it to everyone.
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 4:27:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I put the SRT in my 226 and my 239. Zero regrets and recommend it to everyone.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 6:17:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a P229 .40 non-rail that I bought about 15 years ago, too. Is it still SA/DA with a decocker? Is installing it anything more than just swapping out parts?

Link Posted: 7/19/2013 7:38:44 AM EDT
[#6]
All you need is a few tools. Google "SRT install" and you will find plenty of instructions and videos.
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 9:18:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have a P229 .40 non-rail that I bought about 15 years ago, too. Is it still SA/DA with a decocker? Is installing it anything more than just swapping out parts?  
View Quote

Yes it's still DA/SA with decocker. It just greatly reduces the trigger reset in SA. I'm not super mechanically inclined and it was very easy to do with a few simple tools, just swap out a couple of parts. There is a couple of good vids on Youtube.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:20:51 PM EDT
[#8]
The SRT kit is one of the best upgrades out there for a P series Sig.  After I bought my M11-A1 that came stock with it, I ordered 2 kits from TGS the next day so my P228's could have the same trigger.  It really is that much better.

Watch it when new though, until you get used to it, you will be doing inadvertent double taps.  Best advice to avoid this is maintain pressure on the trigger until the gun has recoiled and cycled.  You can get pretty damn quick with a little practice though.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 2:09:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I was all excited about changing out the standard trigger for the SRT, but ran across this video by Nutnfancy. Yeah, yeah, I know; he may be a bit long winded but I do listen to and respect his opinions. He is video'ing a gunsmith change from the SRT to the standard trigger. Why he doesn't like the SRT, in this video he doesn't go into detail? So, I don't know what his objection to the SRT is.

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 2:46:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I was all excited about changing out the standard trigger for the SRT, but ran across this video by Nutnfancy. Yeah, yeah, I know; he may be a bit long winded but I do listen to and respect his opinions. He is video'ing a gunsmith change from the SRT to the standard trigger. Why he doesn't like the SRT, in this video he doesn't go into detail? So, I don't know what his objection to the SRT is.

http://youtu.be/18zC7SFvnzM

View Quote

SRT = Short RESET trigger
Video is showing the Short Trigger to length standard trigger. If you look at the first few seconds, you will see that the original trigger is thin and the replacement is thicker.
If you have longer fingers, you need the "longer" trigger. The short vs long is just personal preference really.

The SRT is a sear replacement that reduces the reset of the trigger and generally, most people love the SRT.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 3:22:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Video is showing the Short Trigger to length standard trigger. If you look at the first few seconds, you will see that the original trigger is thin and the replacement is thicker.

If you have longer fingers, you need the "longer" trigger. The short vs long is just personal preference really.

The SRT is a sear replacement that reduces the reset of the trigger and generally, most people love the SRT.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://youtu.be/18zC7SFvnzM

Nutnfancy's video unintentionally confused me... yes, I have big hands and long fingers. I did notice that the new trigger looked fatter and straighter. A quick search on Sig's website calls that trigger the Reduced Reach trigger vice short reach trigger.

The Reduced Reach trigger is a different animal from the SRT we are discussing in this thread. Got it! I'll put the SRT back on my list to order next paycheck. Thanks for the explanation.

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 6:48:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Short Reset Trigger Kit

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 8:01:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I sent my P220 to the custom shop for some work and had them throw in the SRT, MUCH improved. I got the E2 grips as well which are awesome. They should come from the factoy with that stuff.

Shitty pic:
http://i626.photobucket.com/albums/tt346/EastWind9/null_zps4b23ec41.jpg
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top