Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2004 7:48:46 PM EDT
I just picked up a few promags for my 228 for range use...Im curious tho, they are supposed to be 13rnd mags...however I was able to load 15 in it...now b4 someone chimes in with it...NO they arnt 226 mags...now im wondering would this be bad to do all the time, or are they actually like the MecGar mags and are able to hold 15? I havent shot them yet, but I did load it in the gun and continued to rack the slide till all where chambered, then extracted and had no problems feeding (at least that way they didnt) just wondering if they are supposed to be like this and are just mis represented from the companies selling them or did I somehow find a way to force 2 more in then are supposed to be loaded??
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 11:11:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you are lying
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 5:57:39 AM EDT
[#2]
The one's I have will take 15 rounds, but they are no where near the quality of the Mec Gar mags.  I have 3 of the Mec Gar 15 rounders and they are some damn fine mags.

I bought 6 of the Pro Mags for my 228 about 6 months ago, they worked fine for the first range session, I was happier then a pig in shit, but the second time out they started double feeding and jaming the gun up.  

I tried to figure out the problem, and it looks like the feed lips are spreading apart.  The bullet sits really high, it sticks out of the feed lips much more then factory mags.
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 4:41:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Okay so who has the MEC GAR mag's.
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 8:08:56 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

nobody I can find online, in stock!!  As soon as Copes Dist. has them in that'll be the place to order them from!
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 11:28:31 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

nobody I can find online, in stock!!  As soon as Copes Dist. has them in that'll be the place to order them from!

Okay thanks I will keep checking around here where I am.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 1:44:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Copes says they will have them this week.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 7:56:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I can get 14 into mine, but the aforementioned feed lip spreading keeps me from doing it.  I got them for range mags when factory mags were still $40 used.  Now I just get more factory or mecgar's.  Promags generally suck, I think I have just been lucky with the 228 ones I have.  God knows the P220 8rd Promags are terrible.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 4:17:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Im curious tho, they are supposed to be 13rnd mags...however I was able to load 15 in it

I posted the same thing several months ago. 15 in a 13 rnd ProMag for my P229. The mag worked well for a while, but the last few times I've used it I've had feed problems.

After firing a round, the shell would be properly extracted, but the following round would jump out and get stuck between the rear of the barrel and the slide; pointing upwards.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 10:50:43 PM EDT
[#9]
The 228 Pro-Mags I have are crappola.  I was using them in a DAK394 (Canadian copy of the Sig P228, cheap one at that) and they kept causing my slide release to keep malfunctioning (locking open prematurely or failing when it was empty).  Granted, the Sig copy I was using was also crap but 10 round genuine Sig magazines worked properly in it.  Some would take 14 or 15 rounds but I didn't want to damage the spring or feed lips.  Normally I only buy the highest quality mags but this was during the ban and real Sig or Mec-Gar mags were just too much to justify in the firearm I was using.

Mec-Gar is the OEM supplier of mags for Sig and quite a few other big companies.  Unfortunately, they stopped selling Sig mags to the public as Sig felt that was too much direct competition with it's company magazines.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 10:55:48 PM EDT
[#10]
The ones I had I could fit 14 or 15 rounds in some but I didn't want to damage the spring or feed lips so I avoided loading that many.  They also kept causing malfunctions with my slide release but I was using them in a crap copy (Canadian DAK394) of a P228.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 10:36:56 PM EDT
[#11]
copes is the way to go.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:30:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I had 3 promags I used for range and competition.  I shot at least 3000 rounds with mine, no problems, before selling the gun.  Now that the ban has dropped I would get the mec-gar 15 round mags.  Try arizonagunrunners.net.  I now have a p226 and I will try to trade all my factory mags for the mec-gar 17 rounders.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top