Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2004 5:43:22 PM EDT
Hello one and all . .

Been thinking about getting a 228 and have a few questions please . . .

Are they still made -- I mean like "today" ?   Or way they discountinued some time ago ?

Mags -- hi-cap or otherwise -- had to find ? ?  Does the 228 and the 229 use the same mags ? ?

Can you use +P ammo ? ?

Does anyone out there carry a 228 -- duty or CCW ? ?

Any other opinions greatly appreciated  ! !

Thanks  ! ! !

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:49:24 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Hello one and all . .

Been thinking about getting a 228 and have a few questions please . . .

Are they still made -- I mean like "today" ?   Or way they discountinued some time ago ?

Mags -- hi-cap or otherwise -- had to find ? ?  Does the 228 and the 229 use the same mags ? ?

Can you use +P ammo ? ?

Does anyone out there carry a 228 -- duty or CCW ? ?

Any other opinions greatly appreciated  ! !

Thanks  ! ! !

Still made, easy to find mags new in about a week and a half.  NATO spec (above +P+) rated.  Good gun.  I do believe the 228 and 229 9mms will use the same mags but I may be wrong.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 12:56:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:33:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a LE trade P228 that I got from KY Imports.

I love it.  Last handgun I would ever get rid of.  Easy to shoot well, accurate as hell.  I have several Promag 13rd mags, as well as several factory mags, both P228 and P226.  The mags from a 9mm P229 do NOT work from my understanding, but I have not tried them.  The mags are going to run about $40 for factory new when the AWB is over, right now you can pay that much for used ones.  The Promags are for range use only, though I have only had one mag related malfunction with one of the five I own.  I do CCW the gun all the time.  Its close to perfect.  You will not regret buying one.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 9:38:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought a P228 12 years after I got a P226 and P220. I wish that Id've gotten the P228 first. I use it for CCW maybe even more than my P239.
N
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:39:46 AM EDT
[#5]
They were hard to get for a while, and Sig actually held up civillian production to meet military and LE contracts they had.  As they were offering the P229/9mm at the same time, it really didn't leave much of a hole in the line-up.  They are still made today, and are available both new and used now.

Mags are easy to find due to the large number of police trade-ins.  As pointed out, the P226 mags work as well, they just stick out the bottom a little.  P229/9mm mags will work.  I've shot many a P229 mag, and some of my factory hicaps are actually marked "P229".  The P229 .40 is a differnt profile and won't even insert all the way into a P228 frame.  Factory mags should be available soon in a couple weeks anyway, and outfits like Mecgar should be offering them again as well.  Both of those work great.  I've used Pro-mags on the range for practice, and they aren't bad, but they're a little softer than factory/Mecgar, so you can get burs or other deforming at the mag catch hole.

As noted, the NATO standard round is +P or higher compatible.  The P228 is US Army standard issue as the M11, and fully capable of NATO standard/+P ammo.

I've carried the P228 off and on for quite a while.  I still do if I think I need more of a gun than the six-shooter I normally pack.  It's easy to live with, easy to use, easy to shoot well with, and works great.  

They really are fine guns.

Ross

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top