Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2010 12:02:36 AM EDT
Howdy, I'm pretty new to Glocks and just bought myself a used g17 I found locally for a good price. What do i need to replace on this thing? Its a second gen and looks to have seen a  bit of use. I suppose the recoil spring is right up there. anything else? thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 1:26:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, go ahead and replace the recoil spring assembly.  Cheap insurance.  Should be changed every 5,000 rnds as per factory specs.

Make sure it's had the "6-part upgrade", depending on how old it is and when it was manufactured.  The serial No. prefix can indicate when it was built.  Link to 6-part upgrade parts graphic:  http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/upgrade-faq2.html

My 2nd gen G17 (which I'm carrying right now) was made in Feb of '90.  It's about to be 20 yrs old in another couple of days.

When I got it, first thing I did was make sure it'd had the upgrade.  It had.  All other older pistols I've handled and checked out also had long ago been sent in for the upgrade.  Most already have, just good to check.
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 1:30:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Not too familiar with 2nd Gen, but initially I would just get a new recoil spring and see how it goes from there.
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 1:49:32 AM EDT
[#4]
If it has the older trigger and slide lock spring, it is highly recommended that you upgrade to the new ones as the older are know to break.
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 3:26:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Congrats on the gen2 G17! These guys have you covered with the parts. Glockparts is great to deal with.
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 4:37:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I would probably replace the mag springs also,just for the hell of it!
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 7:02:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Howdy, I'm pretty new to Glocks and just bought myself a used g17 I found locally for a good price. What do i need to replace on this thing? Its a second gen and looks to have seen a  bit of use. I suppose the recoil spring is right up there. anything else? thanks for the help.

Use this visual tool to learn about the Glock system and learn how to completely disassemble the pistol. This will give you a greater appreciation of the design and how to maintain it.

http://www.genitron.com/Basics/Glock23/P2Glock.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top