Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2009 4:04:42 PM EDT
The G23 has been a great gun never a fail no matter what I've fed it over the years.  I have a 1911 and would like to stick with the
same caliber.  The G23 barely fits my hand, I know the G30 is considerably smaller but could you suggest a mag extension that would
bring the G30s grip alot closer to the length of G23?  I fondled a G21 at the fun store today and it seems a little big.  The G30 would be used
primarily as a GTFO of my house gun, and plinking.  Thanks in advance.
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx308/Hogpauls/9136.jpg
Link Posted: 10/5/2009 4:10:26 PM EDT
[#1]
It depends on personal preference. The 30 is too little for me and when I grip it, it doesn't feel right. The smallest I have is a G19. I also have a 21 and love it. The 19 is my hide a away, everyday concealed carry. this is all based on you, your hands and personal likes. JMHO
Link Posted: 10/5/2009 4:34:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd have trouble getting rid of that 2 gen 23 that has always worked for you. If you're ok with the wider grip of the 30, it should work well for you. With the 10 round magazine inserted in the 30, I think it brings the overall height of the pistol very close to the same height of the 19/23/32 with their standard capacity magazines inserted (15/13/13).
Link Posted: 10/5/2009 5:35:34 PM EDT
[#3]
IMO the G30 would be great for a CCW but for home defense i belive you would be better off with a longer barrel and non-altered mag... the G30 grip would fit you good with an extention but that still leaves you with 3 less rounds unless you get the "+2" extension, which have been linked to reliability issues in some cases. And another thing the G30 would be lacking for a GTFO gun is a rail for a light, which for me is a must for a HD weapon.

You said that the 21 was a little too big for you, have you tried the 21SF?  Its a little thinner....It fits my hand pretty well and I carry a G19 daily, Eiether way you go i would recomend you go the SF route.  Hope this helps
Link Posted: 10/5/2009 7:03:18 PM EDT
[#4]
If what you have works, I wouldn't get rid of it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2009 7:16:54 PM EDT
[#5]
This is the first I have heared of someone thinking the grip on a G30 being small. I have pretty big hands and find the G30 to be perfect. Did the one you held have the 10 rd mag in it?
Link Posted: 10/6/2009 7:20:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I would stick with what you have. You have already stated it works.
Link Posted: 10/6/2009 7:25:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Tough choice. Being a 45-10mm man I would go for the 30.
Link Posted: 10/7/2009 10:40:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
IMO the G30 would be great for a CCW but for home defense i belive you would be better off with a longer barrel and non-altered mag... the G30 grip would fit you good with an extention but that still leaves you with 3 less rounds unless you get the "+2" extension, which have been linked to reliability issues in some cases. And another thing the G30 would be lacking for a GTFO gun is a rail for a light, which for me is a must for a HD weapon.

You said that the 21 was a little too big for you, have you tried the 21SF?  Its a little thinner....It fits my hand pretty well and I carry a G19 daily, Eiether way you go i would recomend you go the SF route.  Hope this helps

The G30SF has a rail for a light or laser...

Grip extensions bring you to about the same frame length as a G19

11 rounds of .45 acp plus G21 mag  for a backup and you are carrying just about the same amount of ammo....

my .02
Link Posted: 10/8/2009 2:19:39 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I would stick with what you have. You have already stated it works.

This is what I would say is ideal. Keep what works, ditch what does not.

If you want another, then I'd say go for it. if you can get the extra $ and just buy another, but I would never again get rig of a gun that does what I ask it to.
Link Posted: 10/8/2009 5:21:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I myself prefer the 2nd gen Glocks so I would say keep the G23, especially cause the one you have looks to be in excellent cond. I say save up for a G30 if you really want one.
Link Posted: 10/8/2009 10:05:16 PM EDT
[#11]
he can always slap some G21 mags in it for more capacity, i have a 29sf, ccw it everyday and love it (same size as the G30) i use the standard mags with the pierce +0 grip extensions, fit's my had great but so does my G20
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 3:04:39 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

he can always slap some G21 mags in it for more capacity, i have a 29sf, ccw it everyday and love it (same size as the G30) i use the standard mags with the pierce +0 grip extensions, fit's my had great but so does my G20
And add a finger grip to the g21 magazine and it will be plenty long and wide enough for almost everyone's hand.

Link Posted: 10/28/2009 7:08:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Decision made.  I'm sticking with the 23, it's been a great gun since new and I'll be getting the G30 with the pearce grip extensions to give my pinky a more suitable home.  My decision and the logic behind it kind of concerns me, here it is.  I have two boys that love to shoot and I am ecstatic that they enjoy shooting as much as I and I will eventually pass these guns on to them.  Well that leaves me with no handgun, thus the need for a third.  Then maybe I'll need a fourth if I could ever convince my older daughter to join us.
Does this kind of thinking sound wierd or have I been hanging out here too much?
Honey let's have more kids!
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 5:37:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If what you have works, I wouldn't get rid of it.

Link Posted: 10/29/2009 6:03:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Wise choice to stick to your gun(s)

Don't get me wrong , I own and like the 30 but to sell one firearm to buy another is generally expensive . Better to keep the original gun and save a bit for the second , take the extra time to shop for a better deal or best yet find a good used one.

To sell a gun you know works just to buy a gun that you hope might be better for you is expensive and could disapoint .

Now if you kept the first gun and bought the 30 and found it was everything you had hoped it would be then the first becomes tradeing material
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:35:11 PM EDT
[#16]
What state are you in?  I've wanted a 2nd Gen 23 for quite some time... and have a G30!
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:10:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What state are you in?  I've wanted a 2nd Gen 23 for quite some time... and have a G30!

Idaho, but I'm gonna keep the 23.  I dig the Tactical Penguins though.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:08:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'd have trouble getting rid of that 2 gen 23 that has always worked for you. If you're ok with the wider grip of the 30, it should work well for you. With the 10 round magazine inserted in the 30, I think it brings the overall height of the pistol very close to the same height of the 19/23/32 with their standard capacity magazines inserted (15/13/13).

+1 Don't do it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top