Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2003 2:20:20 AM EDT
I tried two of the Scherer 33-round mags in my Glock 19, and I'm having some serious trouble with both.  For one, it's extremely difficult just to stuff in rounds after the 10th one or so.  More frustratingly, if the mag is loaded with more than 10-15 rounds, it feeds the rounds erratically -- usually not fast enough to chamber, but just right to jam the action.  Sometimes I have to shake the mag or hit it on something to get the stack of rounds to move up after one was fed.

I was wondering whether anyone here has experienced something similar and if there's a way to fix it.  The mags do have a "quality" feel to them, with the Glock-like metal inserts and all.  It seems as though they were made to work better than they do.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 3:42:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I have used them in a 19 and even in the mini with no problems.
A Glock rep even told me they don't "go after" Scherer because they are that well made.
Maybe you know someone with a model 17 or 19 to verify the problem?
Maybe someone tried to put 34 or more rounds in it and weakened the spring?
Not intentional, just losing track and stuffing it overfull.
Getting new springs and keeping round count would be my guess, short of sending them back.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 6:45:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Are you using the glock factory mag loader. That should really help with loading the mag. It took me a while to figure out how to use one correctly. Now I use them all the time to load my scherer mags.

Sounds to me like since you are having problems loading the mag, they are not stacking up correctly. Rap the bottom of the mag hard on the palm of your hand or table. You should hear the rounds inside bounce and shift slightly.

Next I would tune the followers. I have a tutorial witth pictures.

Glock mag tuning tutorial
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 1:32:11 AM EDT
[#3]
For what you paid for the two poorly functioning Scherers, you could have bought one properly functioning genuine Glock 33 round mag...just a thought.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 6:09:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks all...  I am using the Glock mag loader (otherwise it's nearly impossible to keep inserting rounds after the 10th one or so).  That tutorial looks good, I'll try it out.  I didn't know Glock made 33-rounders... probably because they don't, do they?
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 7:37:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Glock made a 31 round mag, and with a plus two extension you have a Glock 33 round mag, they go for $120 to $150 new. Try glocktalk.com, you can find the 31 or 33 round Glock mags there.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 6:33:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Be careful with the Glock 33 round mags, I have found the 2-rd extended basepad to be more delicate than the flat one and have replaced mine (after losing a spring when the bottom flew off).  If your mags take some rough handling stick with 31 round genuine Glock magazines.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 6:29:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm also seeing some Glock factory pre-ban 15-round mags for G19 for around $160.  Is this generally the price I should expect to pay these days?  Would they go back down to the more normal $20 or so if the ban sunsets?
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 12:14:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I didn't know Glock made 33-rounders... probably because they don't, do they?

The "Glock Stick" is the mag for the Glock 18.  Like stated it's a 31 round mag w/ a +2 base.

I'm also seeing some Glock factory pre-ban 15-round mags for G19 for around $160. Is this generally the price I should expect to pay these days? Would they go back down to the more normal $20 or so if the ban sunsets?

First off, the FML/Drop free will be more pricey than the original first generation NFML/NonDrop free mags.  The most I would ever pay for a FML mag is $100 and that's is I won a pool/bet, did great at Atlantic City or just feel like spending some cash.  I've seen them in the Equipment Exchange for as low as $75.

The most I'd ever pay for a NFML mag is $65 bucks.  Actually with the drop free mags around, I usually pass over the NFML ones even if I see them for as low as $50.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 2:09:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I've got several of the Scherer 33-rd Glock mags.  Mine were all difficult to load at first, even with the loading tool.  Once broken in a little, they're no problem.  I've used them in the pistols and in my Kel-Tec SUB-2000 and they run fine.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 9:56:28 AM EDT
[#10]
back to the subject of what might be wrong.... pull the base plate and clean the inside of the mag body. Once you have removed the spring and follower, you can eyeball if it is developing rust inside. I made the mistake of letting one get wet without an immediate cleaning. It took a couple days befor I'd realized the mag wasn't functioning properly. A bottle cleaner with some bore cleaner cut the rust out. A quick swabbing with rem-oil has protected it from rust since. Otherwise I've never had a problem with the scherer's
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top