Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2003 5:30:41 AM EDT
I just picked me up a new Glock 27 for CCW.  It'll sure beat carrying my full size 1911.  Anyway, what is your personal preference of personal defense ammunition?  Would it be wise to stick to a lower grain, say 155 or 165 rather than 180?  Thanks.

P.s...while we're on topic.  Anyone ever tried the Uncle Mike's Inside the Pants Open Holster?  If so, how is it?  I've been using a non-leather holster and I like the comfort level as compared to leather.  Also, I don't wear a belt sometimes, so I need a clip.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 6:32:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd stick with what is working well for the vast majority of agencies that use the .40 S&W...the 180gr. stuff. I really like the WW Ranger SXT, but the Supreme SXT is NOT the same and will not work as well. Gold Dot is just fine too and much easier to find.

Tip...for me at least... the standard magazine floorplate does not allow enough of a grip on the gun to be able to grab it and "index" correctly in a hurry. I can shoot it fine with the standard floorplate once I get it situated in the hand, but for those times where I would be in an "Oh Shit!" hurry, I really need a little more to grab. There are several different replacement floorplates out there that resolve this issue just fine for about $10 or so.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 7:44:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I carry a G26, so I can't really speak for .40 ammo.

If you are talking about the neoprene Uncle Mikes IWB holster, I have been carrying off-duty in the thumb strap version for almost three years now with no problems.  The open top version should be just as reliable.

And like ikor said, get the floorplate/grip extenders.  My comfort level and accuracy went up when I had a place to put my pinky.

Dave
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 8:27:24 AM EDT
[#3]
The best ammunition in .40cal would be:

Winchester Ranger "T" Series in either 165gr (RA40TA) or 180gr (RA40T) with the edge going to the 180gr (RA40T).  However, this is law enforcement only ammunition and VERY hard to come by if you're not a part of the law enforcement community.  I just recently bought too much so I am selling my excess here:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=91&t=181539

However, if you cannot find or do not want to spend the extra money on the Winchester Ranger "T" series, your second best bet is the CCI/Speer Gold Dot in 180gr or 165gr with the edge again going to the 180gr.

Check out these links for more information:

Summary of best loads from terminal ballistic testing:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=162042

The people who do the ballistic testing, and many results if you look around:
www.firearmstactical.com
www.firearmstactical.com/wound.htm
www.firearmstactical.com/ammo_data/40s&w.htm

These tests are of the Speer Gold Dot bullet but loaded by Black Hills, you should get the same/similar results with Speer's loading of their own bullet.  Notice one of the 155gr had a complete failure to expand and thus had massive overpenetration, so stick with 165/180gr if you choose a round loaded with this bullet:
www.ammolab.com/BH%2040S&W%20Test.htm
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 8:56:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I carry 165gr Gold Dot's in my G27 and G22. I went with this round because I prefer the Gold Dot ammo to start with, and because I like the middle weight loads better.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 9:56:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The best ammunition in .40cal would be:

Winchester Ranger "T" Series in either 165gr (RA40TA) or 180gr (RA40T) with the edge going to the 180gr (RA40T).  

That is what I carry too, the 180gr. I haven't seen it around the shows for quite a while, though.

As far as the Uncle Mike's IWB open-top holster goes, I got one and it sucks. Too much activity and the gun rides out of the holster. I would go with collegcop's suggestion and get (if youmust go with uncle mike's) the IWB with the thumb snap.
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 12:42:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Falkaveli, I don't think much of uncle mikes holsters, MHO. You may want to look at holsters from Blade-tech or Sidearmor, both make good kydex holsters.
Sidearmor
Blade-Tech
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 10:39:09 AM EDT
[#7]
I have uncle mike's inside the pants holsters for my G21 and my Taurus 357. They work fine, comfortable and stay secure. Then again I haven't tried anything else since I had difficulty finding inside the pants holsters for my full size weapons.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 10:47:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I carryCORBON 165 gr. JHP!  It expands good out of the little critter.  CORBON also makes a 155 gr? plus P specifically designed to get good velocity out of the baby glocks.  I'm pleased with the 165 gr load, however.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 11:18:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I use 165 Gold Dots and the finger extensions.  They make a huge difference.  I used to carry it in an IWB Bianchi holster but when I picked up my Kahr P40 I pretty much only carry the Glock in the car now.  The Kahr is much thinner and more comfortable for all day IWB carry.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 10:20:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Speer Gold Dot in 165 or 180Gn
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top