Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2006 4:51:27 PM EDT
I recently sent a pistol to tripp research for hard chroming.  I'm considering sending a Glock to Robar for their NP3.  Any pictures, experience or recommendations would be appreciated.  From what I understand, chrome is harder but the NP3 is more corosion resistant, has a warranty and has a much longer turn around time.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:25:07 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I recently sent a pistol to tripp research for hard chroming.  I'm considering sending a Glock to Robar for their NP3.  Any pictures, experience or recommendations would be appreciated.  From what I understand, chrome is harder but the NP3 is more corosion resistant, has a warranty and has a much longer turn around time.

About twice a year, Robar offers an Internet (only) special for 20% off their metal refinishing. It's worth waiting for. www.robarguns.com

I've had three Glocks done in NP3, and will be sending more in the future. I usually get the "Norton Special", which includes the slide, barrel and all the metal components in the frame.

3rd Gen G23:

3rd Gen G22C:

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:47:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, nice pictures.  They have a internet special now but it only applies if you have custom work done.  I had only intended to have the slide done.  How is the NP3 wearing on the barrel?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:57:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a Hi-Power done in a two tone Rogaurd and Np3 finish a few years ago. The Np3 was a vey nice finish.

I assume you are doing this simply for looks? GLOCK are more corrosion and scratch resistant than any finish you will find.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:35:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm having some work done on the slide.  So, it will need to be refinished.  The looks don't hurt either.  On top of my love for two tones, I also like being able to see just how clean I can keep it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:04:49 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I've had three Glocks done in NP3, and will be sending more in the future. I usually get the "Norton Special", which includes the slide, barrel and all the metal components in the frame.

that doesn't make since, they can't take out the metal to do anything with it
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:50:52 PM EDT
[#6]
hey shooter
few questions

where can i get a sight like you have on your g22 srd gen and also how much was that baby
and also will roabar do custom work before they finish it like rounding the slide at the ends and putting some cocking serrations in?

thanks guys  i know dumb questions but nise well ask them here
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:44:32 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
that doesn't make since, they can't take out the metal to do anything with it

Ever detail-stripped a Glock frame?  The locking block, trigger and locking block pins, slide lock lever, connector and slide stop are all made of metal.  The only metal components that can't be removed are the frame rails, which are embedded into the polymer.

Quoted:
where can i get a sight like you have on your g22 srd gen and also how much was that baby

That's the Tasco Optima 2000. It's been discontinued for some time now, but JP Enterprises bought the rights and now markets an improved version as the "JPoint". The Doctersight is similar, but is made of metal and glass rather than plastic, and retails for about 2x the price of the JPoint.

and also will roabar do custom work before they finish it like rounding the slide at the ends and putting some cocking serrations in?

Yes, if you want them to. A lot of times (like right now) they offer a combo deal on Glock work + refinishing.

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:16:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Here's a pic of my wifes G27

Robar does great work, I've had 3 Glocks and 1 Sig NP3'd and couldn't be happier!

teamroper
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:48:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Teamroper, that looks great.  I've made up my mind.  Guess I'll just wait for the internet discount.  It looks like the barrel was NP3d also.  How is it holding up on the barrel?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:52:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Here's a couple more Glocks.............

my sons G19

my G23C

................and a Sig 245 just for good measure!

teamroper
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:48:01 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Teamroper, that looks great.  I've made up my mind.  Guess I'll just wait for the internet discount.  It looks like the barrel was NP3d also.  How is it holding up on the barrel?

About 5-600rds, hardly a mark! NP3 wipes clean very easily too!

teamroper
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:11:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Don't suppose you have any pics of either end of the barrel?  I'm curious about where the finish stops.  I may have to do that.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:20:01 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I had a Hi-Power done in a two tone Rogaurd and Np3 finish a few years ago. The Np3 was a vey nice finish.

I assume you are doing this simply for looks? GLOCK are more corrosion and scratch resistant than any finish you will find.

NP3 scratches MUCH more easily than chrome, and dealing with ROBAR is not pleasant.  I'd go chrome, honestly.  That said, what are you doing to the G that it needs a refinish?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:40:14 PM EDT
[#14]
ASU1911, I'm having forward cocking serrations added.  Some hate it, I love it.  I'm extremely anxious to get my other pistol back from tripp research.  Should be soon and it will definately affect my decision.  I'm nervous about the finished product.  By the way, what was unpleasant about dealing with ROBAR?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:53:20 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
ASU1911, I'm having forward cocking serrations added.  Some hate it, I love it.  I'm extremely anxious to get my other pistol back from tripp research.  Should be soon and it will definately affect my decision.  I'm nervous about the finished product.  By the way, what was unpleasant about dealing with ROBAR?

A buddy of mine sent an order in and it took almost six months of prodding to get it back.  He was lucky, it came back fine.  There have been reports of orders that were mangled beyond recognition.  Go ahead and deal with them, but be prepared for delay.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:13:31 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Here's a pic of my wifes G27

www.hunt101.com/img/386271.jpg

Robar does great work, I've had 3 Glocks and 1 Sig NP3'd and couldn't be happier!

teamroper

What kind of texturing is that on the grip frame (melted or truck liner) and who did the work?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:19:24 PM EDT
[#17]
(1) I'll try and get pics of both ends of the barrel!

(2) I've dealt with them 4 times, each time very good to deal with! I don't remember specifically, but turnaround time wasn't that long! One time they did forget to NP3 a small part, I called them, they told me they were sorry, ship it back. I got it back in less than 10 days(counting the weekend), they also credited my return shipping back on my credit card and didn't charge me anything shipped back to me!

(3) Mine all seem very durable, I haven't taken a knife to it or thrown it over a cliff yet, but I probably won't. I take care of my shit and keep it cleaned! I'm just a regular Joe, not an operator or cop or some secret agent or anything like that!

(d) Robar did the texture, I don't know if it's heat textured or applied coating, either way, I like it and it hasn't come off yet! I'm sure Robar will tell you how it's done?

Keep in mind, all my work done by Robar was done 5-7yrs ago, so I can only speak from my experience from that time period, maybe things have changed around there since then, but I doubt it!

teamroper
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:03:25 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Don't suppose you have any pics of either end of the barrel?  I'm curious about where the finish stops.  I may have to do that.

Here you go, hope these help!

teamroper
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:46:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Let me throw in my 2 cents about Robar and NP3.  I will rarely say that a gunsmithing or refinishing firm sucks, but I've been screwed a couple times by them.  There are many, many local guys that utterly hate this company.

They are in Phoenix, as am I.  They have always said they are pro law enforcement, and many on our department ahve used them.  I started taking 1911s there years ago for NP3 with great results.  They were always much slower than their estimated turnaround time, but I loved their NP3.  I recommended them to many people.  

5 years ago was my first bad experience.  They were to do a grip reduction on a G21 that was one of my duty weapons.  I paid for the rear reduction, texturing of the sides, and a front reduction with removal of the finger grips.  I was hesitant to do this, and was concerned about turnaround time.   I was qouted 6 weeks.  12 weeks or so went by, with a couple phone calls from me.  Each time I was told someone would call me back.  Never happened.

I eventually got notification in the mail.  When I went to pick it up, it had front fingergrooves.  The red headed beast of a receptionist told me they did a front reduction, even though the fingergrooves were still there.  I explained that she herself told me they would be removed when I first made my order.  She said that if I was unhappy about it, I could have it redone.  I asked for a refund on the front reduction portion, and she told me all she could do was have it redone, as they already did the work.  I explained this was not an option for me since I was without my primary duty gun for far too long.  She said she could only have it redone, and it would be a minimum of 12 weeks.  I left with my gun, thinking this is what I get for not having it put in writing and dealing with a women who was obviously not knowledgeable of firearms.

A year later I took my next primary duty weapon in.  This was a S&W Performance Center revolver, with a tritium front sight.  I carried this concealed working undercover, and wanted the NP3.  I was qouted 6 - 12 weeks.  After 4 months, I started calling.  I got the same runaround.  Someone would return my calls.  After over 6 months I stopped in demanding to speak to someone in charge.  I got the shp manager who assured me they would be getting it done as soon as possible.  Apparently they plated it with the tritium front sight still on, and burst it.  They had to order a new one.

I finally got it back a week later.  It looked great.  After carrying it one shift, I noticed some orange discoloration on my boxers.  I attributed it to dirt, since my job entailed buying stolen cars, and I was always getting dirty.  The next day I decided to look at my gun, just to admire it, and found it was so rusted, that it was pitted on the backstrap.  I had carried this same gun in the same conditions when it was blued, and it never did this.

Robar refused to correct this, saying their warranty did not cover adverse reactions due to body chemistry.  Basically, I was told it was my fault since I must have very acidic body oils.  I told the same female receptionist that I wanted my gun stripped, and that I would reblue it myself.  She told me they could do it for $60.  Though I lost out on a $240 finish, and they wanted another $60 just to strip it, I realized my only remedy was to go to small claims court and sue them.  It wasn't worth the hassle.

A SWAT friend of mine who dealt with Robbie Barkman a lot (our SWAT snipers use their rifles) asked me to build a 1911 for him, and he was going to have it coated with Roguard and NP3.  I spent many hours getting his gun just right, and he dropped it off on Robar to have it finished.  They did not get it right.  They Roguarded some parts that were supposed to be NP3, and there were bubbles in the Roguard.  He sent it back.  When he finally got it back, the Roguard flaked off the sides of the slide after one insertion into a brand new Galco lined holster.

There are many stories like this.  I can go on, but you probably get the point.  Deal with them if you want, but with companies out there like Tripp research doing a vastly superior job, why risk it.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:08:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Sorry about your troubles w/Robar, maybe things have changed since I used them maybe 5-7yrs ago?

Again I'm very pleased with their work and customer service!

There's alot of custom gunworks & refinishers out there nowadays, pick-n-choose wisely!

teamroper

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:47:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Here's my USPSA Limited Glock 35 which has the KKM barrel and slide done in NP3.

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:16:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Disclaimer:  I like carry guns, I'm not into game guns, but........

gotm4, that is without a doubt the coolest looking Glock I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:35:10 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Let me throw in my 2 cents about Robar and NP3.  I will rarely say that a gunsmithing or refinishing firm sucks, but I've been screwed a couple times by them.  There are many, many local guys that utterly hate this company.

There are many stories like this.  I can go on, but you probably get the point.  Deal with them if you want, but with companies out there like Tripp research doing a vastly superior job, why risk it.  

Hobbs,
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!

Years and years ago I sent in a Colt 1911 to ROBAR to have NP3 applied. This was on department letterhead, which they said would have a 6 week turnaround for LE. With numerous phone calls and two letters I finally got the gun back.................6 months later.

With that said, I did like the NP3. I carried that gun for years on and off duty in a salt air environment and against bare skin. No problems what so ever.

Last year I was finally over the the previous incident and sent in a colt 1911 for a black ROGUARD finish, a new ejector and a new plunger tube. This gun was old had been shot a lot and was just tired. Again, with several phone calls and letters I finally got it back 5 months later. Within the first 100 rounds of function testing the finish was chipping off and had worn at the muzzle and high edges. I was having type three malfunctions up the wazoo, the plunger tube loosened up so bad that it jambed the thumb safety. The gun was unacceptable as a carry gun.

To make a long story short I have fixed the problems myself But the ROGUARD is crap and has chipped and worn so badly that I'm just going to finish it myself with Norrels. I wouldn't feel so bad if ROBAR did good work but to wait so long and pay so much to get CRAP back that has to be fixed is UNACCEPTABLE to me. I will never do business with them again and I tend to divert people away who ask about ROBAR.

I'm glad to hear that others have also had bad experiances with ROBAR and it is not just me. So many people keep telling me that their the best, i must disagree.

D.

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:33:45 AM EDT
[#24]
I've never said they were the best, only that I was happy with their service & product 5-7yrs ago!

Maybe things have changed?

teamroper
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:46:25 AM EDT
[#25]
I sent my gun in Janurary to get Robar on the external, NP3 on the internals.  Was told to expect a 6 to 8 week turnaround.  I had it back in 6 and 1/2 weeks, and it looked great!  I've fired about 100 rounds through it so far, no problems yet.  They had the 20% off deal in Janurary so I got it with the discount.  

Just my experience....

I can post pictures if you want but it's not a Glock, it's a 1911.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:20:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Teamroper, thanks for going to the trouble of getting those pics.  It looks great.  I hate to hear the complaints about ROBAR, as I was intending to send them my glock.  I thought since I didn't really need it until August, it wouldn't be a problem.  However, these complaints make me hesitant.  I think I'll hold off for now.  I might call robar and see what they have to say.  I should be getting my other pistol back from tripp research next week.  If it's as good as everyone says it is, it may be the beginning of a very expensive habit.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:50:25 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Teamroper, thanks for going to the trouble of getting those pics.  It looks great.  I hate to hear the complaints about ROBAR, as I was intending to send them my glock.  I thought since I didn't really need it until August, it wouldn't be a problem.  However, these complaints make me hesitant.  I think I'll hold off for now.  I might call robar and see what they have to say.  I should be getting my other pistol back from tripp research next week.  If it's as good as everyone says it is, it may be the begining of a very expensive habit.

nitrex, I'd be hesitant too! All I can tell you is that my dealings with them have been great, but this was 5-7yrs ago, I can't believe they've went so far downhill, they were and still are as far as I know a very reputable company! These "few" horror stories are the same reasons that I'm hesitant in buying a Kimber TLE/RLII!

HardChrome would be great if it was a duller, matted grey(like NP3), instead of silver looking, a bead blasted hardchrome would look better to me(IMHO)! I'm a sucker for two-tone pistols and prefer a brushed nickel looking finish, "I'M IN NO WAY KNOCKING HARDCHROME", but that's just me!

I had a Ruger Single Six refinished in matte hard chrome several yrs ago by a place in Clearwater, FL (can't remember the name), I really didn't like it(should've went with the brushed hardchrome), good job, but just didn't look the way I wanted it to! I'll try and post a pic of it later?

Good Luck!

teamroper
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:05:43 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I've never said they were the best, only that I was happy with their service & product 5-7yrs ago!

Maybe things have changed?

teamroper

teamroper,  I'm not trying to discredit or disagree with you.  Many people have great service and great results from them.  I've been going to them for about 10 years.  My first bad expereince was with the Glock, and that was in 2000.  Arizona is a hotbed of talented pistolsmiths, and companies get a reputation, good or bad.  Amongst locals, Robar has a really bad rep.  On a local shooting board here, Robar is spoken of with disgust.  I have nothing against the owner, as I find him to be a fascinating and admirable man.  

I think most will agree that any company can have mistakes.  Robar has had many in the last 6 years, and the way they handle their mistakes is unacceptable.

Robbie Barkman, the owner, approached me about doing the checkering for his 1911s, and he gave me a tour of the facility.  With the exception that Robbie does not have enough control of his own company to assure quality, I have nothing but respect and admiration for him.  However, his company, and the people he has working for him, bite.  I was not impressed with the skill of his staff.  I'm just a lowly cop who works on guns for fun, but his so called world class gunsmithing operation ain't that great.  The only person there who is top notch is him, and he doesn't have much to do with the day to day gunsmithing or refinishing there.  It's a shame.  Perhaps things will change, as I'm told his last shop manager has been fired.  

Nitrex, realize that I'm just throwing out this stuff as a "buyer beware" thing.  They screwed me on the aforementioned revolver, and gave me a song and dance about Robbie not being in and not having a voicemail.  I probably should have written him a letter, but after all this, I just don't send him any of my business.  

At the risk of sounding very conceited, bear in mind that I work for a 2,900 officer agency in a town where I'm well known for my 1911 work.  Word of mouth is important, and making mistakes on one of my guns while ruining another will be heard about by a lot of people, both in the law enforcement community as well as the local shooting community.  With that in mind, the receptionaist and the shop manager decided to screw me over anyway.  Though I am in no way more important than anyone else who send their guns there for work, why would you treat someone so poorly when word of such treatment will reach so many people?  The answer is that they simply don't care.  

I have no way of knowing how much bad quality work they do.  I just know I've seen some attrocious stuff show up at another smithing shop in Phoenix that they ruined, and I've seen guns belonging to friends get messed up.  Also, I see threads on such matters on other sites.  I have no vendetta, nor do I hold a grudge.  I just hate to see others go through the same thing I did.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:53:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Hey hobbs, no problem!

Makes you kind of leary having any custom work done?

Like I told nitrex, these good stories-bad stories is what's making me think twice about a Kimber TLE/RLII!

Best of luck to all of you!

teamroper
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:00:58 PM EDT
[#30]
It's real hard to improve on the Tenifer treatment it comes with from GLOCK.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:56:28 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Unless you want 2-tone! I have a few Glocks that still have their original tenifer finish, but I like a little variety! No slam intened txgp17!

teamroper
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:03:41 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unless you want 2-tone!

If all you want is the 2-tone look, have your slide bead-blasted. That will remove the black oxide finish, but the protective Tenifer will still be in place. The resulting look is a matte gray.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:50:22 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unless you want 2-tone!

If all you want is the 2-tone look, have your slide bead-blasted. That will remove the black oxide finish, but the protective Tenifer will still be in place. The resulting look is a matte gray.

Anybody have pics of this, I'm curious?

teamroper
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top