Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2006 9:33:04 AM EDT
I have been thinking of buying my first Glock for a while. I just stopped by one of my favorite gun stores and he has a used 21. I would call it in excellent to like new condition and it comes with three 14 round mags. He is asking $500 for it, but without me asking this guy always takes 10% off of everything I buy when he writes it up, so he may sell it to me for $450. In any case, is $500 a fair price for that pistol? I think the serial number is ABS283, can I tell how old and what generation it is from that? Thanks, Andy
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:43:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Your looking at a G21 made 06/1992 and yep that's a decent price IF it comes w/ 13rnd mags.

Here's a link for ya: topglock.com/support_dateyourglock.aspx

Mike

ETA - standard mag holds 13, w/ +2 add-on it holds 15, (never heard of a 14 rnd G21 mag)
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:03:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info, I guess he meant it was 13+1 for 14 shot. Is there any significant  difference between a 6/92 21 and a new one? Thanks again, Andy
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:25:56 AM EDT
[#3]

This should help, provided ya go check this site out: www.glockfaq.com/

Mike

ps - NEVER, load a round from the mag, remove the mag and top it off (as your comments indicated), bad juju will occur, IMO. (infact I download ever Glock mag I own 17, 19, 21s & 30 by one round, but then my Glocks always operate 100%, YMMV)
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:52:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't top off a mag?  I've been using Glocks since 91 and have been topping them off without a single issue.  If carrying a gun for protective use, I want every round I can fit in the gun
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:16:14 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Don't top off a mag?  I've been using Glocks since 91 and have been topping them off without a single issue.  If carrying a gun for protective use, I want every round I can fit in the gun

You'll note I said YMMV, (your milage may vary or "what you do is up to you").

And my first Glock, the 17 is a first generation, early import and was purchased in 1986, which means nothing.

Unlike revolvers, single or double action, semi-automatic firearms are, like it or not, more susceptible to malfunction.

Whether it’s that cheap magazine ya bought, that improper ammo selection for a non- ramped and throated 1911 or a limp wrist FTFs and FTEs are a fact of life with semi-autos.

How you deal with these facts, are your own business.

I have been a NRA certified Instructor for almost 2 decades now and have developed both a confidence in my abilities to place rounds on target, no matter what firearm is in my hands at the time, rifle or pistol, (single, double or semi) or the range at which I’m faced with (inside 50 yards w/ pistol or 1000 yards w/ rifle) and worry none in the least about the lack of one or two rounds in my mags.

I load 6 in 7 round 1911 mags, 7 in my 8 round Wilsons, 12 in the 13 round mags listed above. In my AR15s I load 18 and 28 in 20 and 30 round mags respectively, and in point of fact have no problem what others think in this regard.

Why not? That’s because my semi-auto weapons run 100% all the time and one of the reasons ya ain’t never seen a “my firearm is malfunctioning” post from me.

You state “you” want ever round you can possibly have and that’s a common philosophy among firearms enthusiasts.

Me, I’d sooner have more rounds available in the form of spare mags (all be them downloaded) simply because my method works for me, it provides a confidence in my weapons that like it or not translates into a more reliable weapon.

Nuff’ said,
Mike
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:36:45 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
You'll note I said YMMV, (your milage may vary or "what you do is up to you").

- I also noticed you said "never" top off a magazine in the sentence hence my comment.

I have been a NRA certified Instructor for almost 2 decades now and have developed both a confidence in my abilities to place rounds on target, no matter what firearm is in my hands at the time, rifle or pistol, (single, double or semi) or the range at which I’m faced with (inside 50 yards w/ pistol or 1000 yards w/ rifle) and worry none in the least about the lack of one or two rounds in my mags.
- Congrats to you.  I've spent over ten years in law enforcement and the military and know that shit can go sideways in a heartbeat and you might just need those two extra rounds.

I load 6 in 7 round 1911 mags, 7 in my 8 round Wilsons, 12 in the 13 round mags listed above. In my AR15s I load 18 and 28 in 20 and 30 round mags respectively, and in point of fact have no problem what others think in this regard.
- The only thing I do similar to you in this regard is downloading AR mags to 28. Of course it isnt a function issue that prompts the download, but ease in inserting a mag into the rifle with the bolt forward (much easier with 28 as opposed to 30).

Me, I’d sooner have more rounds available in the form of spare mags (all be them downloaded) simply because my method works for me, it provides a confidence in my weapons that like it or not translates into a more reliable weapon.

- If you want to short-change yourself, knock yourself out. I prefer to have more ammo in the weapon, not on my belt.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:27:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Full mag +1 in the tube in all my G's since 1986 - never a problem.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:51:58 AM EDT
[#8]

Unlike revolvers, single or double action, semi-automatic firearms are, like it or not, more susceptible to malfunction.

Let's try an endurance test.  You run any revolver.   I'll run a Glock with full mags.  I bet your revolver will stop firing first.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:18:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Apologies to the original thread poster for the hi-jack here.

Quoted:

Let's try an endurance test.  You run any revolver.   I'll run a Glock with full mags.  I bet your revolver will stop firing first.

I'm assuming your referring to the fact the Glocks hold more rounds than wheelguns; which is correct.

IF on the other hand your going to compare the reliability of a wheelgun/revolver to your Glock, you're crazier than a loone and resemble this little fella .

There is NO semi-automatic ever made more reliable than a quality revolver.

Mike

ps - only a fool would bet his Glock (and I own 5 of 'em, btw) will fire more rounds before a malfunction than a S&W or Colt revolver, because hell would freeze over before ya'd win that bet, (especially if as spoken of above you are planning on running your Glock with one in the pipe and a topped off mag to start and EVERY time after. Highly doubt ya'd get through a full box of shells before the additional tension exerted by topping off that mag each time would create enough drag on the slide during recoil of that first round fired to cause a short-stroke and FTF condition. For certain at some point it'll happen, whereas the wheelgun other than some sort of unforseen parts breakage will just keep going and going and going and going until ya lose)
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:18:40 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I think the serial number is ABS283, can I tell how old and what generation it is from that?

As stated the G21 is second gen. Some of the early G21s had a 90degree breach face and in some this would cause FTE. If it does have a 90degree cut you can send it to Glock and they will cut the face to the newer 15degree for free and refinish the slide.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:57:20 PM EDT
[#11]
tag
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:22:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:36:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the heads up Hotrod. I did buy it (he did knock off the 10%) and it does have the 90° breach face. I'll shoot it first and see if it has any problems before I send it off. I can't wait to shoot it. Andy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top