Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/20/2006 9:20:22 PM EDT
Been doing some shopping over at Top Glock, and was wondering if anyone used/preferred the Slug Plug versus the Jentra Plug.

The Slug acts as a sort of mag guide as well as a plug, while the Jentra version is pretty much just a plug.

Just curious if there are any pros or cons. I've used the Jentra style flush version before.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:48:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I currently have both on identical G17s and I like the jentra better.  I don't notice any difference when installing a mag between the two so I like the flush look better.  The only reason I use either one is to keep the sharp edge of the grip from getting buggered up on stuff it may hit.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:13:19 AM EDT
[#2]

Don't waste your time or money on a Glock plug unless you have a reason to. The only reasons to install a plug are: 1.) A Seattle brass plug is good for breaking car windows and adding weight to the frame. 2.) Any plug is said to keep your firing pin channel clean when exposure to very dirty elements.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:58:12 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I currently have both on identical G17s and I like the jentra better.  I don't notice any difference when installing a mag between the two so I like the flush look better.  The only reason I use either one is to keep the sharp edge of the grip from getting buggered up on stuff it may hit.

Thanks. I figured it might not work quite as well as expected to guide the mags in. I think I'll just stick with the flush Jentra style plug.

Rekced - As far as needing one or not, I really don't care. I like the way it finishes the pistol and cleans up the lines on the grip. Not many people on this site really need much of anything we have in our personal inventorys, but we have them because we want them. I can think of worse ways to spend $5 than on a gun part.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:37:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I have the Seattle slug, its adds nice balance to my G17 and is a most effective weapon when in a CQC situation.

It also assists nicely as a mag guide in the well.

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 11:03:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I have the slug on a G30 and it adds some length to the grip. I also have all kind of others, maybe not very useful plugs.
On a G34, that I gave to my son, the slug was aiding ever so slightly with mag changes. I am definitely not a friend of tricking out a gun cosmetically but the plugs are something so subtle that for $5something for 2 plugs(Promag at Midway) even I can approve it.

The brass plugs add weight to the frame, but that is not really the place to add weight if you want to keep the muzzle of a handgun down during recoil.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 11:16:30 AM EDT
[#6]
You pluggers realize that you are disabling a valuable feature on the Glock pistol right?

That hole is there for a reason.  It's where your thumb goes to clear a Class 3 malfuntion.

Why do you think the frame has a relief cut in the front of the mag well too?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:33:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You pluggers realize that you are disabling a valuable feature on the Glock pistol right?

That hole is there for a reason.  It's where your thumb goes to clear a Class 3 malfuntion.

Why do you think the frame has a relief cut in the front of the mag well too? hr

Manual strength will overcome that concern.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:34:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Why do you think the frame has a relief cut in the front of the mag well too?

Take a look at a Gen 3 Glock 21 and tell me where the relief cut in the front of the grip is.

And when was the last time you had a "class 3" malfunction?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:55:20 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Maybe.  But as your training has taught you, fine motor skills go out the window under the high stress of shooting.

I choose the maximum grip on the mag over the silly gadget.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:06:00 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Take a look at a Gen 3 Glock 21 and tell me where the relief cut in the front of the grip is.

Are you denying that the "hole" in the back is there for a reason?

And when was the last time you had a "class 3" malfunction?

I knew one of you would make this assertion.

Granted the glock pistol is much more reliable than most guns, and a Class 3 is unlikely under most circumstances.  But I'll give you a REAL WORLD, REALLY HAPPENED example....

A Phoenix P.D. officer was involved in a shooting at a gas station.  During the shoot out it is believed that the slide on his glock somehow struck a portion of the vehicle during the ejection cycle (a door jam or frame or some shit).  Anyhow, the officer rolled into the vehicle, performed a class 3 malf clearance and got back into the fight.

Now if you never shoot from any kind of cover or carry your pistol in your car; or if you have your violent confrontations already completely scripted, then it wouldn't be a problem for you.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:09:23 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe.  But as your training has taught you, fine motor skills go out the window under the high stress of shooting.

Most Glock owners know that drop free mags really aren't.  Under the stress of match shooting, I have never failed to do a 'combat reload', where the mag doesn't drop and I grab it and sling it.  I don't use those magic slots.  None of my other guns have them.  I don't think this is an issue to lose sleep over....

What does bug me is that stupid brass plug for "breaking windows".  This will make the base of you mag blow off, and you will have a pile of bullets on the ground, along with a spring and follower.  Regardles of what plug you have, it is a royal bitch to get that empty hull from your mag cleared and then reload.  This, I have seen happen.  I would say that using your firearm to break a window is about as stupid as it gets.  If your gun isn't damaged, you could easily have a ND and possibly hurt someone or yourself.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:30:44 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Most Glock owners know that drop free mags really aren't.  Under the stress of match shooting, I have never failed to do a 'combat reload', where the mag doesn't drop and I grab it and sling it.  I don't use those magic slots.  None of my other guns have them.  I don't think this is an issue to lose sleep over....

Dig it.  for combat reloads, I too just use the sides of the mag base plate.  It's kinda the default place to grab when you have a fresh mag in your hand too.

What does bug me is that stupid brass plug for "breaking windows".  This will make the base of you mag blow off, and you will have a pile of bullets on the ground, along with a spring and follower.  Regardles of what plug you have, it is a royal bitch to get that empty hull from your mag cleared and then reload.  This, I have seen happen.  I would say that using your firearm to break a window is about as stupid as it gets.  If your gun isn't damaged, you could easily have a ND and possibly hurt someone or yourself.  

I never thought of that.  You would be REALLY screwed if you had to try to pull and empty mag body out of the receiver with that dopey seatle thing stuck in the back of your weapon.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:17:53 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you denying that the "hole" in the back is there for a reason?

I want to know where the relief cut is. Don't come over to my thread spouting useless crap to me if you don't know about the pistol under discussion. The G21 does not have a front relief cutout. Guess that makes the rear one about half as useful, huh?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:53:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Time to grab a beer...  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:34:10 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

What does bug me is that stupid brass plug for "breaking windows".

This may sound stupid, but why on earth would someone want to use their Glock to break a window with that little brass plug?  Unless the intention is to eliminate harm to whatever is on the other side of the window, I feel it would be much more cost effective to put a bullet through it than to risk screwing up the gun or the magazine.  After all, one round of ball ammo is about 30 cents, and one round of defensive ammo is about 90 cents, which makes both cheaper than a magazine or another pistol if the frame were to be ruined when smashing a window.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:12:47 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

...and after all my training, received and given in the military, I have the plug on many Glocks. I carried and used it while living in the diarrhea belt, I am mentioning this so that I am not mistaken for some armchair pilot.
My 1911s and S&W autos do not afford more place for the hands to grip the mags.  To get a good grip on my Glock mags, I just added factory +2 extensions. Plenty of gripping surface added - for those that look for a solution to a perceived problem.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:26:52 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I want to know where the relief cut is. Don't come over to my thread spouting useless crap to me if you don't know about the pistol under discussion. The G21 does not have a front relief cutout. Guess that makes the rear one about half as useful, huh?

Don't be petty little woman.  Maybe the thumbhole is half as useful on the 21, but it's still there for a reason.  Who is the numb nuts that made it TOTALLY USELESS?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:25:30 PM EDT
[#18]
that's why we like you so much around here markm, you can never admit when you're wrong
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:39:24 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What does bug me is that stupid brass plug for "breaking windows".

This may sound stupid, but why on earth would someone want to use their Glock to break a window with that little brass plug?  Unless the intention is to eliminate harm to whatever is on the other side of the window, I feel it would be much more cost effective to put a bullet through it than to risk screwing up the gun or the magazine.  After all, one round of ball ammo is about 30 cents, and one round of defensive ammo is about 90 cents, which makes both cheaper than a magazine or another pistol if the frame were to be ruined when smashing a window.

a cop over here used the muzzle of their glock to bust a window or get someones attention. Only problem was he had his finger on the trigger.
BANG!, oops.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:38:15 PM EDT
[#20]
The jentra is still prettier.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top