Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2006 6:07:57 PM EDT
I haven't been hanging around the Glock board much lately, but I've heard reference to this in in other sections and forums.  What's this about Glocks exploding?  I've never had a problem with my G17 and I carried a G19 in the IDF, again, no problems.  So what's up?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:27:17 PM EDT
[#1]
It's not a problem with the 9mms so don't worry.

Most of the horror stories can be contributed to either bad factory Federal ammo or reloads in the G22 with a few cases being reported in the G21.

Tell us more about carrying a G19 in the IDF!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:40:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Good to know.

As for the G19 in the IDF; it was what my unit was issued for sidearm.  The Glock is favored by many IDF units because of its design.  It is a pure combat weapon with no external safety that goes bang every time you squeeze the trigger.  I liked it because it stood up to the harshest conditions.  Not just getting banged around going through doors or caves, but also the rapidly changing temperature between night and day.

Anyway, I never had to use it in a firefight.  It was simply a backup weapon in case my rifle had a severe malfunction.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:59:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Glock guns in 9mm dont have those problems. Only in .40S&W caliber has this been happening the most as alot of LE agencies use this caliber in the form of a Glock 22
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:03:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Glock 22.  Over 30k rounds now in way under a year.  No malfunctions, no KB's
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:07:36 PM EDT
[#5]
The GLOCK haters would have you believe that one in five GLOCKS are subject to a kaboom.  This is simply not reality.  These failures do happen periodically but considering the number of GLOCK pistols in use and the number of rounds fired through them, it is far from being a concern in my mind.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:10:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The GLOCK haters would have you believe that one in five GLOCKS are subject to a kaboom.  This is simply not reality.  These failures do happen periodically but considering the number of GLOCK pistols in use and the number of rounds fired through them, it is far from being a concern in my mind.

there are over 4.5 million Glocks in the US right now.  Thats more than quadruple any other make/model of handgun.  There are bound to be a few more malfunctions.  Most of them due to people not being able to read the "no reloads" part inside the case and book.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:17:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:19:12 PM EDT
[#8]
IBADAIR
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:48:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I recently took a firearm course which the instructor had detailed info on the Glocks blowing up.

The info he had showed a design flaw with the breech of the barrel with pics of a bulged case in the problem breech.  He even had serial number ranges and years for certain models that were affected.  His big burn with Glock is that (his words) they know there is a problem but have not issued a recall.  If this is true I have a big problem with Glock also.

He further explained that if you have one of these guns you have to call Glock with the problem.  And they will try to charge you shipping.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:57:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I have owned a 2nd gen glock 21 for over 12 years now, over 65,000 rounds down it with absolutely no problems,,,,

I also have newer gen 3 glock 21's and glock 30's wtih no problems

I trust my life to glock, they are my duty weapon, my home defense weapon, everything

if they made an ar15 type weapon, I would have that too!!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:01:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I recently took a firearm course which the instructor had detailed info on the Glocks blowing up.

The info he had showed a design flaw with the breech of the barrel with pics of a bulged case in the problem breech.  He even had serial number ranges and years for certain models that were affected.  His big burn with Glock is that (his words) they know there is a problem but have not issued a recall.  If this is true I have a big problem with Glock also.

He further explained that if you have one of these guns you have to call Glock with the problem.  And they will try to charge you shipping.

If that's true then why doesn't glock just send new barrels, breech included, to the ones that have the defective "breech".

It sound like he's talking about the "upgrade" that involves the extractor, the extractor slot, and some other things, I don't remember. It had to do with slam fires or something, I think the info can be found at glockmeister.com. I thought my G21 was affected at one time but have since learned that it wasn't.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:22:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Load up shitty reloaded ammo in any gun and it will be bad. Dosen't happen to only glocks.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:35:17 AM EDT
[#13]
I've put every kind of ammo through my G23C for years, no problems.  Not one malfunction of any

kind.  Recently, however, I have quit buying the cheapest ammo for it (reloads) simply because

reloads triple the cleaning time.  For CCW its Glock all the way for this guy, no questions asked.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:08:33 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If that's true then why doesn't glock just send new barrels, breech included, to the ones that have the defective "breech".

It sound like he's talking about the "upgrade" that involves the extractor, the extractor slot, and some other things, I don't remember. It had to do with slam fires or something, I think the info can be found at glockmeister.com. I thought my G21 was affected at one time but have since learned that it wasn't.

The info he has is from a Glock armorer.  This is the issue he explained in class.  Glock knows there is a problem but is not being upfront with it.  YMMV
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:16:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Lemme guess, he (the instructor) had a 1911 didn't he? Sounds like another plastic pistol hater. If there was some conspiracy like that to hide a design flaw, I think that it would be more well known. Just my opinion though.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:49:39 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The info he has is from a Glock armorer.  This is the issue he explained in class.  Glock knows there is a problem but is not being upfront with it.  YMMV

I can go become a Glock armorer.  Being one does NOT mean you represent the feelings of the company,  It means Glock has said that you can wear their apron because you can push the pins and replace the springs in a Glock.  Not to mention he's probably lying about that.  Glock has better customer service than any other company out there.  BAR NONE.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with my Glock but I could send it in right now and get all new springs and any other worn parts replaced for free by Glock.  Then I could do it again next month if I wanted.  They have shipping accounts that = discounts for shipping.  Doing 1 or 200 worth of work on a gun for free and then try to ream people on shipping? I don't think so.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:01:10 PM EDT
[#17]
The only Glock I know of blowing up was a .45.   A 'moron' with emphasis on MORON loaded up some really hot 230gr loads and it broke something loose. This happened around 1995 or so and all I heard was guys carrying 1911's calling them combat tuperware for about 3 years.  There were about 3 or 4 other guys there that saw it happen.  They were all 1911 guys.

(Sorry for my ignorance on exactally what happened  with the gun.)

He is a moron though and he tried to get money out of Glock, they asked him what happened and he told them he was shooting some handloads through it......... They told him see ya.

OK ready for a funny ending?  These guys are all deputies.  One of them was securing his 1911 one night while booking in a prisoner.  There are lock boxes in our sally port to store our guns.  So he unholstered, went to decock or something and bang!! Shot the floor. Inmate tried to sue him for ear damage.

The sheriff made a policy that no one could carry 1911 type weapons any longer.  I don't agree with a blanket policy, but it is funny.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:16:26 PM EDT
[#18]
I had a friend with a 2nd gen 23 that went kaboom. He was shooting reloads( we didnt know any better back then) and about 1/3 of the base of the brass blew out. It blew out the mag, broke off the slide stop, and sent debris flying in to his face. He was wearing his shooting glasses so he wasnt hurt but it scared the shit out of him. We had to pull the case out of the breech of the barrel with pliers. He sent the gun to Glock with a letter explaining what happened and they put a slide stop on, test fired, and went over the gun before returning the gun to him at no charge. I have had  nothing but great customer service when I have sent guns to them.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:46:37 PM EDT
[#19]
IIRC, non-jacketed bullets can come into play as well.  Glock's octagonal rifling leads up which retards the bullet's travel and increases pressure inside the case/chamber.  Again, IIRC, the Glock manual says something about shooting only jacketed bullets as well as only using factory ammo.

HTH

Trey
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:06:11 AM EDT
[#20]
You'll have more "issues" in a day with a 1911 than you'll ever have in a lifetime with a Glock. And I love my 1911's too.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:18:25 AM EDT
[#21]
I really don't worry about my glock blowing up.

They've made great advancements in prosthetics so I figure I can lose an arm or two.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:15:50 AM EDT
[#22]
what type of weapon did the instructor have?  I will bet he either carried a 1911 or a revovler.  I have fired well over 30k rounds from my 22, 27 and 36 and have had no major problems.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:21:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Im not a GLOCK fan BUT I'm sure if you do enough research you can find threads about EVERY gun that has gone KA-BOOM at some time.  Im tired of the whole Glocks go ka-boom shit.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:12:06 AM EDT
[#24]
All this talk- can someone please post a photo of Glock that went kaboom. Stop bashing the Glock
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:15:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:16:56 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
All this talk- can someone please post a photo of Glock that went kaboom. Stop bashing the Glock

There are numerous examples.

But that's because there are SO MANY in circulation.  Almost all KBs, except for some of the early ones when the g22 was new, are the fault of bad reloads.

All guns have a chance of going kaboom every time you fire them.  That probability is increased by using reloads.  That's life.

Do I wish Glock had more chamber support?  Yes.

Do I worry that my Glock will take my hand off?  No, because as I said before I can always get a prosthetic replacement.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:22:54 PM EDT
[#27]
I've had my glock for six years and it has never malfunctioned.  I think its rumors from glock haters.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:35:15 PM EDT
[#28]
It is absoultley true that there were a some issues with a run of glocks. A number of PD's had the problem. There is a batch of serial numbers that have the problem. If you have a glock in that serial number range Glock will replace the parts (from what I remember). I am a Glock owner and I still love Glock.  Glock did know about the problem and did nothing about it until some people rasied lots of issues. Search for it on the net. I do not remember the sight where the serial numbers are but I did go to it, see it, read it, and checked my glock serial number to see if was one of the affected ones.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:03:40 PM EDT
[#29]

This is such a worthless thread.

The truth is...a kB could happen to any Glock at any time with any caliber.  Same goes for any other gun out there.  Hopefully you won't get shitty factory ammo...and hopefully you won't reload shitty brass and I say the odds are against it ever happening to you.

Cheers!

-MEI
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:07:41 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

The truth is...a kB could happen to any Glock at any time with any caliber.  Same goes for any other gun out there.  Hopefully you won't get shitty factory ammo...and hopefully you won't reload shitty brass and I say the odds are against it ever happening to you.

Cheers!

-MEI

Have you ever heard of a SiG going KABOOM? Nope. GLOCK .40S&W series = at risk for Kaboom.
So much for GLOCK perfection eh?

SiG Sauer ftw.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:26:32 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cheers!

-MEI

Have you ever heard of a SiG going KABOOM? Nope. GLOCK .40S&W series = at risk for Kaboom.

SiG Sauer ftw.

Except for having seen the slide shoot off of a Sig P220 during one of our SWAT training sessions, no I haven't (kinda neat - the guy who was shooting it standing there holding a frame).  I also haven't heard of the dozens (if not hundreds) of malfunctions that I have personally had with sigs or seen others have with good factory ammo.  Nor have I heard of my Sig's frame cracking and having to be replaced.

Everything Kb's, dude.  And Sigs aren't the pinnacle of reliability and strength.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:26:34 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cheers!

-MEI

SiG Sauer ftw.

You're from CA...your opinion doesn't count here.

I'll take a Glock over your Sig any day.  That includes the .40.  If you think it's just Glocks...or just Glock .40 that are at risk for a kB then you really don't know anything.  Your Sig wouldn't stand up to half the abuse the Glocks would.  

BTW - This is comming from a Sig owner.  Former owner that is.

ETA - Former owner that is.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top