Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2006 1:01:31 AM EDT
Hey guys, new to the Glock world, mostly an AR/AK guy until now. For whatever reason in all my years of shooting guns I've heard little about Glocks, expect that they are reliable. What are the major selling points? Also, (and I know its the wrong question to ask on a Glock forum) what are the bad points about Glocks? Or perhaps only the "supposed" donwsides... Thanks guys, hope to learn a few things.

Oh and I know this is likely an OT, so any links would be great.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:16:13 AM EDT
[#1]
This is not a bash on Glocks.
This is simply a list of what people here
have previously said about them.

I own three Glocks.

The So-Called cons of Glocks

1   They Kaboom because of unsupported chambers.
2   They point high because of the grip angle compared to 1911s.
3   They have plastic frames.
4   They aren't as customizable as 1911s.
5   They are uglier than a pig's ass.
6   They (the company) support ballistic ID.
7   They have lousy triggers compared to 1911s.
8   They are striker fired, so they cannot fire a second time unless one racks the slide.
9   They aren't as accurate as 1911s.
10 They have horrible sights.

I can't think of any more right now.
Maybe someone else will.

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:38:26 AM EDT
[#2]
While most of the above "cons" can be answered logically this one makes you want to go hhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Quoted:
5   They are uglier than a pig's ass.

Not real sure that I want to get that close to a pig!

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:54:11 AM EDT
[#3]
There are lots of pro's to Glocks in addition to ultra-reliability and simplicity: huge holster selection, cheap factory hi-cap/std-cap mags, extremely low maintenance, and an impressive popularity = track record in police/leo agencies.  

I will say that without a doubt the grip angle is different than most guns (like 1911's, SIG's etc) which for me makes vertical cant more concealable than forward or FBI cant holsters.  BUT... I shoot .357SIG and the forward grip angle makes the perceived recoil in my Glock G32 MUCH less than in my SIG P229.  I can fire rapid strings much faster and more accurately with my Glock than my SIG so while I haven't sold the 229, the G32 has taken holster rights.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:47:39 PM EDT
[#4]
the worst thing about glocks:
-useless, oversized grip hump(expecially on thier 45s/10mm)
-crappy trigger (love the consistancy though)

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:35:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Pro:  lightweight, plastic frame, rugged tenifer coated slide, hi capacity, functionality, availability of parts, availability of used guns, simplicity of design

Con: no manual safety, striker mechanism (if primer doesn't ignite the first time, you must rack the slide and dump that round)
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:06:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:21:01 PM EDT
[#7]
www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=a9423e4a1b0262be4b35c24d92198db9&threadid=462537

Check out this link and I think it will answer some of your questions? I trust my Glocks with my LIFE everyday. I also like that their are only 33 parts total that make up the gun. I 've seen many people try pull the trigger on other pistols and the safety is still on. I like having my finger as my safety. When TSHF and you loose some of your fine motor skills you'll be glad you don't have safety to switch off.

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:49:47 PM EDT
[#8]
thanks for the all helpful responses guys. I'll check out that last link, too.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 10:36:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I've noticed new shooters struggle with the mag release more than with other guns.  I like the trigger myself.  About 1500 through my G19 and it is so predictable it's nearly boring.  It refuses to give me anything less than perfect.  With that said, I'm a little nervous about the plastic sights, it sees like they could wear down going into a holster over time but I'd just upgrade then.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:14:25 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Pro:  lightweight, plastic frame, rugged tenifer coated slide, hi capacity, functionality, availability of parts, availability of used guns, simplicity of design

Con: no manual safety, striker mechanism (if primer doesn't ignite the first time, you must rack the slide and dump that round)

This is why I carry a Glock.

Same here.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:31:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Yeah, that part too.  When I first heard about it, I was confused but I haved learned to appreciate it.  I doubt I'd ever CCW a non-Glock.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:04:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Some people don't like the grip angle.  
Some people can't get over the manual safety.  But if you have shot a revolver....they lack that feature
Some poeple don't like the sights, but this is a problem that is easily resolved.
Some people don't like the way they look.  (Why are you buying a handgun?  Looks, or performance?)
Some people think that they Kaboom more.  But I think that the higher number of kabooms has something to do with the high number of guns in circulation (more guns=more probability of a failure happening)
Some people don't like the fantastic plastic.  Again....they have prooven to be reliable.
Some people don't like they way they fit in their hands.  You can't know till you try one...everyone's hands are different.
I think that the frame on the full size .45 is too big, and I have big hands, but what I like in a grip may not be what you like.  

Personally I didn't like one experience I had with a G22.  I was qualifing for a police department (pre-hire) and the G22 that they had me use rubbed my middle finger of my dominant hand (right) raw a the the middle joint.  I believe this is because the seam protruded and the recoil of the gun abraded my skin.  I had a personal G22, and I never had that problem, and it could be easily remedied by running over the area with a dremmel or a fine grit sand paper so that the seam was flush with the frame.  It was a fault of the maker, but a 5 minute fix that nobody would know you did (if you didn't go hog-wild with the dremmel/paper).  

I like glock guns.  I like that they don't have a safety (one less thing to fail/forget about in the heat of the moment).  I like that they don't have an external hammer (for CCW) because you can't catch something that isn't there on clothing, etc.  I like that they don't have that stupid lawyer lock on them.  I like their tennifer finish.  I like the trigger (it's the same every time, and with the grip angle and low bore height, the recoil makes for very fast and accurate follow up shots--at least in my experience).  I like that there are cheap factory mags that are ultra reliable.  I like that the gun is prooven to be reliable.  I believe that there are two types of handguns.  Guns you trust your life to, and guns you own because they fill some sort of sentimental or asthetic appeal.  Glock is a gun you can trust your life to, but is rather ugly.  Again, it depends on why you are buying a pistol.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:06:13 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Some people don't like the grip angle.  
Some people don't like striker-no 2nd strike ability  (I choose to recognize and train for this--I always rack and get a new round, in both striker and hammer fired semi-autos)
Some people can't get over the manual safety.  But if you have shot a revolver....they lack that feature
Some poeple don't like the sights, but this is a problem that is easily resolved.
Some people don't like the way they look.  (Why are you buying a handgun?  Looks, or performance?)
Some people think that they Kaboom more.  But I think that the higher number of kabooms has something to do with the high number of guns in circulation (more guns=more probability of a failure happening)
Some people don't like the fantastic plastic.  Again....they have prooven to be reliable.
Some people don't like they way they fit in their hands.  You can't know till you try one...everyone's hands are different.
I think that the frame on the full size .45 is too big, and I have big hands, but what I like in a grip may not be what you like.  

Personally I didn't like one experience I had with a G22.  I was qualifing for a police department (pre-hire) and the G22 that they had me use rubbed my middle finger of my dominant hand (right) raw a the the middle joint.  I believe this is because the seam protruded and the recoil of the gun abraded my skin.  I had a personal G22, and I never had that problem, and it could be easily remedied by running over the area with a dremmel or a fine grit sand paper so that the seam was flush with the frame.  It was a fault of the maker, but a 5 minute fix that nobody would know you did (if you didn't go hog-wild with the dremmel/paper).  

I like glock guns.  I like that they don't have a safety (one less thing to fail/forget about in the heat of the moment).  I like that they don't have an external hammer (for CCW) because you can't catch something that isn't there on clothing, etc.  I like that they don't have that stupid lawyer lock on them.  I like their tennifer finish.  I like the trigger (it's the same every time, and with the grip angle and low bore height, the recoil makes for very fast and accurate follow up shots--at least in my experience).  I like that there are cheap factory mags that are ultra reliable.  I like that the gun is prooven to be reliable.  I believe that there are two types of handguns.  Guns you trust your life to, and guns you own because they fill some sort of sentimental or asthetic appeal.  Glock is a gun you can trust your life to, but is rather ugly.  Again, it depends on why you are buying a pistol.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top