Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2005 8:30:58 PM EDT
several months ago i traded in my 2nd gen. g19 for a new third gen. on the new pistol when the slide is held back without a mag in place the stop lever moves over and is up aginst the frame and i can't operate it untill a mag is inserted. the mag forces the stop back into position and them it will work. if the mag is slamed in it usally closes the slide automaticaly? my old one did not do these things, it seems the spring pulls the stop lever to the side. just wondering if anyone know's an easy fix or if an aftermarket stop lever will help? thanks
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:41:13 PM EDT
[#1]
The slide stops on my Glocks do the same thing, when I put the mag in the slide stop pushs out so I can hit it with my thumb.  You probably shouldn't be dropping the slide with out a loaded mag in the gun anyway.

On an unrelated note; what do you wheel and where?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:54:21 PM EDT
[#2]
mike, my old one worked like i think they should, i know i shouldn't drop it w/out mag in. and i don't , i ease it with other hand.  it's not a big deal, it just bugs me. if i can fix it cool if not oh well. i don't like it closing on it's own either, if it was consistant that might be ok but it's not. i'm sure the problems are related, if i fix one the other will go away to. like i said my old one didn't do either? currently i'm wheeling a toyota pickup, finishing reassembling m1009 cucv i wrecked last year, that was my primary trk. also have a shortbed chevy under construction. i don't know many places around here, moved to goshen for job a couple yrs. ago still haven't found anything local. i know a little spot in mishawaka and looking foward to checking out the mud farm park in north liberty. thanks,   jeremy
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 10:43:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
it's not a big deal, it just bugs me.

I understand that.

Unfortunately I don't know of a lot of places down here either.  I usually end up going to Attica as it's only about 90 miles from my house.  I've got a 1976 Bronco BTW.

Also, as I see your somewhat new to the site, be sure to check out the Hometown forum.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:32:22 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
several months ago i traded in my 2nd gen. g19 for a new third gen. on the new pistol when the slide is held back without a mag in place the stop lever moves over and is up aginst the frame and i can't operate it untill a mag is inserted. the mag forces the stop back into position and them it will work. if the mag is slamed in it usally closes the slide automaticaly? my old one did not do these things, it seems the spring pulls the stop lever to the side. just wondering if anyone know's an easy fix or if an aftermarket stop lever will help? thanks

I was watching a couple of guys shoot Glocks in competition, and when the put in a new mag after slide lock, I never saw them hit a release. I'm only a little bit familiar with the platform and didn't know if this was design, a modification, or if they were just so quick about it that I didn't see it. I think that the pistols were a 35 and a 3rd gen 17. Can anybody clarify this one for me?
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:16:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I have practiced speed reloads for years, where I put my right thumb on the slide stop and when the mag bottoms out in the grip I thumb the stop.  It works quicker than describing it, one motion, back to the sights.

The current fashion is to reach over with the non shooting hand and pull back and release the slide, then return the hand to support.  I believe this pet rock will die in time like all fads.

Having hijacked this thread, no, really.  Watch it go now.  I think that your slide stop should not move side to side in any noticeable amount when inserting a mag.  It certainly not designed that way.  Possible out of spec part or worn receiver.

I don't think I would like that lateral movement, I might contact Glock about it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:16:31 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was watching a couple of guys shoot Glocks in competition, and when the put in a new mag after slide lock, I never saw them hit a release. I'm only a little bit familiar with the platform and didn't know if this was design, a modification, or if they were just so quick about it that I didn't see it. I think that the pistols were a 35 and a 3rd gen 17. Can anybody clarify this one for me?
-Hobbit

my G35 slides shut when I slam the mag but I hadn't noticed this on any of my others
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:29:40 AM EDT
[#7]
i would recomend takeing it to a certified glock armorer. ive never had a problem that my armorer could tell me the problem, fix it, and have it back to me in a half hour tops.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:31:38 PM EDT
[#8]
i can relese the slide on my glock with no mag in
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:44:00 PM EDT
[#9]
thanks for all the input folks, the pistol is almost new, i traded my old one in on it about a year ago. i put about 200 rds. through it, i noticed the differences the first time i shot it. i'm pretty sure nothing's worn out, frame or slide stop. i looked at it a little more. it seems to pivot on the pin that goes through the stop. the spring is pulling it over. does anyone know if it's supposed to have a bushing in slide stop hole or shim's to take up play? i didn't take it back because i don't want to nit pick with the dealer. does anyone know of a glock armor in northern ind.? i was going to take it to the next indy show but i haven't made the trip in over a year.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:17:11 PM EDT
[#10]
If you were to remove the pin that the slide stop pivots on you would see that the slide stop sits inside of a groove on the pin.  That's probably why you feel "play".  The hole in the slide stop is big enough to fit on the pin, but then when it gets to the grooved part of the pin the hole, in the slide stop, is obviously bigger.  

If you remove the pin (it is the bigger of the two) push it out from left to right, as viewed from behind the gun.  If it feels like it is hard to remove it, instead of applying more pressure, wiggle the slide stop fore and aft.  This is, of course, with the slide removed.  If you also decide to remove the smaller pin (also from left to right) be sure to reinstall it prior to reinstalling the larger pin.  this keeps the spring on the slide stop from getting installed incorrectly, which causes the slide to lock back.

ETA: When reinstalling pins install them from right to left.

The instructions here for receiver disassembly-pin removal are much better than mine.
topglock.com/info/info.htm
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:06:02 PM EDT
[#11]
To anyone else who notices this.

I wonder if it is a generation thing.  On my second generation G23 the slide stop stays out where I can get a good purchase on it regardless of the mag being in the gun or not.  

However on my Third generation Glocks the slide stop sits close to the frame without a mag and when the mag is inserted the slide stop moves out ever so slightly, which allows it to be pressed down easier.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:22:27 PM EDT
[#12]
mikeg23, i think your on to somthing, maybe?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top