Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2005 10:56:46 AM EDT
I was out with my favorite G30 yesterday and it jammed for the first time ever.  Here are the specs:

Factory 10rd mag
Factory IMI 185 gr JHP ammo
Weapon was clean and properly maintained
Empty was properly ejected but the slide would not close on new round.
Dropped the mag, pulled back the slide round ejected put mag back into weapon fired weapon.

I proceeded to then cycle 100 230 gr FMJ through the weapon with ZERO failures.

Any suggestions for the hive as to what type of HP ammo is most reliable or should I just stick with 230 gr ball?

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 11:07:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Golden sabre feeds good in .45s
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 11:13:18 AM EDT
[#2]
once, in am while a round is out of spec. Relax ... Learn immediate action drills.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:50:48 PM EDT
[#3]
How many rounds have been through this pistol?

When you said the slide would not close on a new round, was the nose of the bullet jammed at the bottom of the feedramp? Was the slide almost closed by not quite?

Depending on how many rounds you've had through this G30 you might want to look at changing the recoil spring and mag springs.

Regardless to your answers to the above questions, the OAL of JHP is longer than standard ball and they even very quite a bit between manufactures so it's always a wise decision to "test" several boxes before you start using them for carry.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:45:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
How many rounds have been through this pistol?   I estimate between 500 and 600

When you said the slide would not close on a new round, was the nose of the bullet jammed at the bottom of the feedramp? Was the slide almost closed by not quite? The round was at an odd upward angle which was caused the slide not to close.  I would estimate it was about a 1/2 inch from going into battery.  If I recall the failure occured on round four of my third magazine.Depending on how many rounds you've had through this G30 you might want to look at changing the recoil spring and mag springs.

Regardless to your answers to the above questions, the OAL of JHP is longer than standard ball and they even very quite a bit between manufactures so it's always a wise decision to "test" several boxes before you start using them for carry.

You make an excellent point!  I may have been somewhat pound-wise and penny-foolish by not practicing enough with my carry ammo.  I will be rectifing that situation at once!  I would appreciate the forum's experiance with .45 cal HP ammo out of a G30.

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:40:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I won't pretend to know about G30 mags but what is the number(s) on the magazine followers?

The old 2183 followers that can in the 10 round G19 mags would do that all the time with JHPs so I'm thinking that maybe you could have a follower issue.  Again using the G19 as an example, if you replaced the 2183 followers with a 9mm1 or 9mm3 (which Glock would send you for free) the problem disappeared.  

Something to investigate.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:08:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I remember that issue with the G19's.  I'm not sure if it applies to the G30 but it's worth looking into.  I may have to venture over to Glocktalk.com and do a quick search.  Due to cost, I've always "practiced" with inexpensive factory 230 gr. ball ammo.  I think that this incident has caused me to rethink that approach.  It's either that, or switch to perhaps a .357 SIG.  I understand they are darn near impossible to jam due to the cartridge configuration being a bottle neck.

Regards,
Gary
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top