Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2005 6:51:57 PM EDT
I've been reading up post & replies from fellow Glock owners about captive & none captive guide rods.
Half the Glock owners say the standard factory plastic captive guide rods are the best and most reliable.
Others say that they havent had any problems using a SS none captive guide rod in their Glocks.
Im bout sure both will work just fine, but have mixed thoughts on this matter of plastic guide rod and SS guide rods.
To me, SS will be easier to changed out spring weight etc,want chip or melt and more consistent recoil and lock up by using SS guide rod.

Just wondering why Glock switched to plastic captive guide rods?
No doubt their more cost effective and save money,like many gun makers now days looking for cheaper ways to produce & compete with one another.

Also, I just purchased a SS guide rod and a couple ISMI #17 flat Wire recoil springs from topglock.com.

I already have a few captive guide rod for glock, guess I'll keep them for spares or in case this SS none captive proves unreliable.

Has anyone here have any input, much appreciated.

TG
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:13:34 PM EDT
[#1]
The way I see it and it was explained to me by one of the best armorers TR Graham was think of it this way. With the plastic you do have flex with the motion, stainless you dont...Simple.

I have the SS in mine and it is smoother with less flex.

Just my 2 cents
John
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:46:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks  for your reply, Im looking forward to giving this SS none captured guide rod a work out.
Hopefully it prove  to  be dependable, Im  pretty sure I want be dissapointed.

TG
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:59:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Glock Inc didn't switch to plastic guide rods, they've been plastic from day one.  Originally there were non-captive, but later changed to captive.  Stock works best for factory ammo.  

In my G35 used for USPSA Limited I run a Tungsen captive rod and a little lighter ISMI recoil spring.  I'm using 180gr loads that have VERY little recoil and had to go with a weaker spring to maintain reliability.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:27:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a 3rd Gen Glock 17,  their seem to be some  folks who say the first Glock 17   uncaptured  guide rods was made of steel and their  is some  folks who say plastic.

I dont know,cause I never owned a 1st Gen Glock,  the  pixs I've seen, they look like  steel.

Thanks, you all input is much appreciated,learned alot.

TG

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:36:59 AM EDT
[#5]
I've used both, currently I've got a SS guide rod in my G22 that can be captive or non-captive depending on if you put the threaded cap on the end.  I also bought a new factory plastic guide rod assembly from Glock.  After shooting with both, captive plastic, captive and non-captive SS, I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't make a damn bit of difference.  The SS rod lets me change springs easier, but since I only fire factory ammo I have no need of that.  Anyway, the experiment was fun, it gave me an excuse to go to the range and shoot a bunch of ammo, as if I needed one!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:34:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I saw pics of a new 3rd gen G18C with a metallic guide rod. It looked VERY stock from the outside, so assuming it is a stock Glock 18, then it must be using a steel rod for a reason. Also I'm referring to a real photo, not the Team glock images.

ETA: It could have been aftermarket or Glock only uses plastic guide rods in the US G18s?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:01:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I fired a G18 at the FBI Academy in 1987.  It had the same exact plastic non captive rod as my Gen1 G17 (I know because I both of them there and cleaned both afterward).  Last Tuesday I took the Glock Armorers course at the PW county Police Academy (VA), the instructor (Alan Ramsey) said that the rods have always been plastic when responding to a student asking about why didn't Glock use metal ones.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:05:06 PM EDT
[#8]
My brother in law has a one of the first G17s imported...no frame checkering, just stippling.  It came with a plastic guide rod.

They wear, but so does the spring wrapped around them.  Replace as necessary and dont waste your time or your money replacing shit that aint broke.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:34:58 PM EDT
[#9]
If this gun will be used as a defensive pistol, leave it stock.  Replace the assembly every 5-10k rounds or so with your trigger return spring (costs all of $4)
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:40:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Replace the Glock trigger spring with a Glock NY1, weak link removed. Then replace Glock 5.5# connector with a Glock 3.5# connector. It's Glock stock. The G17 receiver is the same as the G34 receiver, so technically going to the Glock extended mag release, Glock extended slide release, and Glock 3.5# connector is staying stock.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:51:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I have a 3rd Gen Glock 17,  their seem to be some  folks who say the first Glock 17   uncaptured  guide rods was made of steel and their  is some  folks who say plastic.

I dont know,cause I never owned a 1st Gen Glock,  the  pixs I've seen, they look like  steel.

TG

I thought GEN 1 glocks were made of plastic and ceramic only and could be taken through airport security.  You know, like the Glock 7
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:54:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

TG

I thought GEN 1 glocks were made of plastic and ceramic only and could be taken through airport security.  You know, like the Glock 7

Those cost more than a month's paycheck for an airport security supervisor!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:58:30 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

TG

Those cost more than a month's paycheck for an airport security supervisor!

Hell they cost about 3 weeks paycheck for me.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:04:24 PM EDT
[#14]
I have never owned a stainless steel guide rod but I have seen no less than 5 of them make trouble for their owners at the range over the past couple of years. On the other hand I have never seen or heard of a reliability problem caused by a factory rod and spring. Nor have I ever seen or heard of accuracy improving with a SS rod. To each his own but I havent figured out why people buy these rods when the factory items work good
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:22:26 PM EDT
[#15]

By TexasGunman: Has anyone here have any input, much appreciated.

The following is not to be construed as argumentative in nature.  It's a practice in discussion and it's entire foundation is based on my own personal opinion(s) as I attempt adherance to the KISS principle.   I find that if I could easily change the recoil spring weights in my Glock by installing an aftermarket non-captive recoil guide rod, I'd surely F**K up a perfectly reliable weapon.

Further it strikes me as odd that a plastics manufacturer from Austria could develop such an awesome defense weapon as the Glock.  This surprise comes after the realization that I have yet to see one aftermarket manufacturer of weapons triggers, springs, barrels, slides, safeties, sights, magazines ad nauseam develop an entire weapon that works better than my Glock.  Glock transformed from a supplier of E-tools, grenades and other plastic odds-and-ends into a firearms manufacturer.  The way I see it, if "X" company can make a better this or that for my Glock, Glock will adopt it into the design.  Or if "X" company is so damn good, why don't they make their own weapon?

Now is that to stay if Glock were to make an improved version of toilet paper, I wouldn't have some next to my throne The world may never know...  One thing is for certain when comparing toilet paper to defensive weapons, your ass is literally on the line.  In the event of an unpleasant social interaction, my Glock which was assembled by folks who know their shit- has my back. In the event of an unpleasant personal moment, my Charmin TP which was assembled by folks who know their shit as well as mine- has my backside. Obviously, YMMV.

Sly
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:02:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Glock chose the same captured rod and spring rate for the full sized pistols which see very different loads:
9mm Luger, 45 Auto, 40 S&W, 10mm, etc... That's more of an economics issue (KISS = cheap).
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:04:20 PM EDT
[#17]
I learned through GlockFaq.com that the first g17s had a  plastic  guide rod.
Their is a SS  captured guide rod, that has been well known about  function problems.

Wolff   &  other steel uncaptured guide rods,based on users, they work great.

Will report back here, if I have any  problems with my Glock 17 and SS  guide rod.

I'll run a 1000+  rounds & see what happen.

Worse case senerio, I can alway switch  back  to the  plastic captured guide rod.

Thanks again for all you men input.

TG

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:12:11 PM EDT
[#18]
I have only seen one glock factory guide rod break and it still worked even after it broke.
Note: I've been working with glocks every day for the last 6 months and have seen some incredible stuff done to every part of the gun and it contiune to function.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:09:15 AM EDT
[#19]
About the only major differences I've seen between the plastic guide rod and a Wolff steel rod:

Plastic Guide rod is quieter but also flexes a lot (doesn't mean it's bad).

The steel rod doesn't flex and is a tad noisier (spring moving across it, slide moving across it). Wolff claims their guide rod is INDESTRUCTIBLE and will far outlive the pistol itself.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:14:09 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I have never owned a stainless steel guide rod but I have seen no less than 5 of them make trouble for their owners at the range over the past couple of years. On the other hand I have never seen or heard of a reliability problem caused by a factory rod and spring. Nor have I ever seen or heard of accuracy improving with a SS rod. To each his own but I havent figured out why people buy these rods when the factory items work good

Happened to a friend of mine, ended up ripping every aftermarket part out of his glock right down to the grip plug.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:04:47 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Happened to a friend of mine, ended up ripping every aftermarket part out of his glock right down to the grip plug.

Emotional fellow! The grip plug has no effect on reliability.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:48:32 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Emotional fellow! The grip plug has no effect on reliability.

Actually the Glock was designed to dump excess oil and gunk out the bottom of the grip (the plug will block it from leaving), I use a plug mainly for speed of reloads but I'm also pretty anal and detail strip and clean my carry Glock once a month
Glocks Trainings numbers are= (770) 432-1202 ph, or (770) 437-4712fax if you want to ask.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top