Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2005 5:57:10 PM EDT
Hi.

I'm spending only a limited amount of money on guns right now.

Newest, favorite gun is a glock 19.  It's what I want in a carry gun, though I may get a 26 once I'm out of MA.

I need to try a lighter trigger, just for the heck of it.

Please help me select from the following, if any:

Lightning Strike
Mfr: LIGHTNING STRIKE

Reduces Friction For Easy Trigger Pull

Super-smooth, steel connector lightens trigger pull to a light-breaking, 3.5 pounds, which lets you concentrate on your shot and not on a heavy trigger. Radiused edges and smooth, polished finish minimize friction and drag against trigger bar.

SPECS: Steel, natural finish.

Scherer
Mfr: SCHERER

Lightens Trigger Pull ForCompetition Glock Pistols

Reduces trigger pull to 3.5 pounds and increases trigger control so the pistol is easier to shoot, and more accurate. Provides competitive shooters with the best possible trigger. Installs with no modifications to gun.

Ghost

Mfr: GHOST

Lightens & Improves Trigger Feel

Stainless steel connector reduces the length of trigger pull, improves reset, and eliminates accuracy-robbing overtravel. 5.0 Tactical and Ghost Rocket 3.5 reduce trigger-pull weight to 5 pounds and 3.5 pounds respectively; both have an extra tab that contacts the trigger bar and prevents overtravel after the striker falls. Each connector requires minor fitting.

SPECS: Stainless steel, polished finish. Fits all models.

GHOST 3.5 CONNECTOR – Easy-install, drop-in, steel connector lowers trigger-pull weight to 3.5 pounds for competition and sporting use and improves trigger reset. Does not have extra overtravel fitting tab.

SPECS: Stainless steel, polished finish. Fits all models

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:04:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:22:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not really going to be carrying this gun, except locked, in my trunk, to and from the range.

It's a gun I've wanted for quite a while, and I finally broke down and found one that I could legally own.

First generation, too, so I won't be hanging every gewgaw in the world off of it.

So, -1 on scherer.  +1 on Ghost rocket.

Thank you too much.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:06:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:17:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:21:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:22:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:10:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Ghost 3.5 and 4.5lb Ranger, Scherer 3.5lb all work well.  
If you don't like the mushy feel of the 3.5lb connector use the Ghost 4.5lb Ranger.  It's lighter but pretty crisp.  

My Glock 17 that I use to shoot IDPA and USPSA has a 3.5lb Scherer thats been fine with over 8K rounds through it this year.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:34:09 AM EDT
[#8]
I have the Ghost Standard 3.5# connector that doesn't require fitting.
It was made quite poorly out of factory spec. The "tab" that glides against the slide and is responsible for the reset, was bent at an exact 90* angle and makes for a non-smooth action. The main part of the connector was cutting against the trigger mechanism housing.
I installed it and took my G17 to the range and didn't like the lighter trigger pull (4.5 lb pull) versus the 6-6.2 lb pull of the STOCK connector.

I did the 25 cent polishing and used the stock connector, the pull was about 6 lb and IMHO is much better due to the clean break and smoother action of the slide.

It's all a matter of personal preference. I bought one to try it out, otherwise I'd be racking my mind wondering if I can do better with a lighter trigger pull. The answer is, not necessarily. I anticipate the trigger too much with a lighter pull sending the shot wild, whereas with a slightly heavier pull I can get "surprised" when the striker breaks free and it hits near bullseye.

I noticed the same thing with my Vepr - I anticipate the shot too much with the light 3.5-4 lb 2-stage trigger, whereas the stock AR-15 FCG is a 6.9lb trigger pull.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:19:17 AM EDT
[#9]
no messing with the internals of a glock you'll be using for self protection.  Other than that i have no advice as all my glocks are used in the self protection roll and therefore i have never considered modifications
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:11:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Glock OEM
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:19:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Brownells doesn't have glock OEM.

Where would I get one?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:16:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Brownells doesn't have glock OEM.

Where would I get one?

www.glockmeister.com, www.lonewolfdist.com, www.topglock.com if you want a mushy OEM 3.5lb connector.  If you want crisper get a Scherer or Ghost.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:25:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Response was based off of previous poster's comments.

The real answer is I'm getting a connector from Brownells if I get one at all;

Thanks for the insights all.  I'll let you know how it turns out.

FWIW, I don't dislike glock triggers.  I just want to know what can be done with them.

-Ben
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:36:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Response was based off of previous poster's comments.

The real answer is I'm getting a connector from Brownells if I get one at all;

Thanks for the insights all.  I'll let you know how it turns out.

FWIW, I don't dislike glock triggers.  I just want to know what can be done with them.

-Ben

If you want the very best it'll cost you some bucks but well worth it.  www.vanekcustom.com/

2nd best at less than 1/2 the price is www.geocities.com/[email protected]/.  

I've fired pistols with both, the Vanek is best YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:00:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:09:00 PM EDT
[#16]
So, I've got multiple negatives for Scherer, one negative each for Ghost and Lightning, and for Glock OEM.

Guess it'll be ghost or lightning.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:42:43 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
So, I've got multiple negatives for Scherer, one negative each for Ghost and Lightning, and for Glock OEM.

Guess it'll be ghost or lightning.

My Ghost standard 3.5# connector has a clean break, ala OEM 5lb connector (it's VERY crisp) but I find that I apply TOO MUCH force and it causes the pistol to vibrate. It's much harder to "get surprised" when using the 3.5# connector. I guess if lighter trigger pulls are DEFINITELY your thing, get one. If not, and you were in the same boat as I, just wondering if a lighter trigger pull can make you shoot better... I'd advise you to just stick with stock and practice.

The Ghost was very poorly made and if you ask around on Glocktalk, you will hear many complaints about poor QC/spec/tolerances on the connectors.

ETA: I see you just want to try a lighter trigger pull for the heck of it. Hmmm. You probably made up your mind that you want to try one, so I can't do much about it except advise you to not try one. Your wallet will be $10-$20 lighter w/o much to show for it.

Spend it on:
Night Sights / Glock front steel sight (my plastic front sight was pretty beat up)
Some type of grip (Hogue, Bicycle tire inner tube)
Extended mag catch / Extended slide release if you need them
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:39:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks Metro.  However....the gun came with night sights, the grip suits me well, though I may tape it, and I find the stock mag release works great.  I'm lefty, so I hit it with my index finger.

Found out I don't have as much time as I'd thought, so the new connector may not end up happening.

What's the .25 cent trigger job?  A polishing of all trigger parts?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:41:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Ghost Rocket Ranger connector 4.5lb is a pretty good compromise. And it's drop-in.

I use Custom Glock Racing polished factory trigger bar/connector.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:55:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:31:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Hey aim, do you perform any function other than bashing manufactureres?

I.E. Lightning Strike, Advanced Armament Corp.

I find it strange that you seem to always have a story about a manufacturer that people should

NEVER BUY FROM
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:36:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Just replaced my Ghost 3.5lb with a OEM 3.5lb and I can't feel a difference between the two... With that being said, stick with OEM.

ETA: Big +1 for Glockmeisiter and LWD.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 3:43:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Hi Ben70, use the money that you have for the trigger pull modifications and buy ammunition to practice!  After you have shot the gun for a year or two, reconsider.  I bet 1000 rounds down range would improve ability to hit better than trigger modifications! Jimmyp
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:18:44 PM EDT
[#24]
man, did that suck!

I'm glad I got the parts for FFL price, I'd feel like an ass if I'd paid $27 for this.  Trigger wasn't bad to start with.  Now it's a little bit crisper right at the end.  That's it.

Some people just have to grab the oven to see if it's hot...
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:24:50 PM EDT
[#25]
I had the OEM 3.5# connector put on my 23 and 26, had the polish job done and found that I shoot better with them on. I then sold the 23 and got a 35 and man do I love shooting that gun.  

Not bashing anyone of course, but I have not had any issues with the lighter triggers and have no qualms about carrying the 26 with it. As long as you practice, practice, practice with it you should be fine.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:24:23 PM EDT
[#26]
I just bought an OEM Glock 3.5 lb trigger and couldn't be happier with it. Glad I went with glock too instead of the other triggers that were stated.

Who else can make a better trigger pull for a glock, then well........ Glock
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:36:56 PM EDT
[#27]
I went with a NY1, Ghost 3.5#, and a Wolff 4-lb striker spring along with the 25 cent polishing. The trigger pull is very smooth and the break is extremely crisp. The Ghost needed some slight tweaking to fit properly... but since its just a piece of metal that prevents the trigger bar from walking, I don't see how it affects reliability.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:43:54 PM EDT
[#28]
i just put a ghost 3.5 in my 17 last night and gout out with it tonight.......b4 i was always shooting like 4 inches low and had to adjust my point of aim.....now i hold a regular sight picture and all the holes show up right where they should be.......so glad i did it.  i now have another 100 rounds or so threw the pistol and have decided that it is a keeper.

Brett
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:32:03 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I went with a NY1, Ghost 3.5#, and a Wolff 4-lb striker spring along with the 25 cent polishing. The trigger pull is very smooth and the break is extremely crisp. The Ghost needed some slight tweaking to fit properly... but since its just a piece of metal that prevents the trigger bar from walking, I don't see how it affects reliability.

Be sure to keep the firing pin channel cleaned out.  I've seen A LOT of Glocks using 4lb striker springs start to get light strikes with less than 1K rounds (in IDPA and USPSA matches).  The reduced striker spring is 1.5lbs lighter than stock.  If this is a carry/defensive gun I suggest using a standard rate striker spring.  Another trick for a lighter trigger is to take out the silver coil spring of the olive NY1 and just use the plastic part.  It'll still give a snappy reset but it'll be smoother and lighter.  On a range/target only gun you can use a Wolff reduced power firing pin safety spring.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top