Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2021 6:20:43 PM EDT
I see posts saying they're interchangeable, but Gen5 has been out a long time, I feel like if they were exactly the same (mainly in reliability) then companies like ETS mags would change their descriptions to include Gen5
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 6:37:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I see posts saying they're interchangeable, but Gen5 has been out a long time, I feel like if they were exactly the same (mainly in reliability) then companies like ETS mags would change their descriptions to include Gen5
View Quote

It's mostly just because the basepad shape variance and follower colors I think.

and yes your G45 takes 17 length or longer magazines

Barring a really old and abused/worn out early gen mag they are all perfectly reliable.(Glock brand mags atleast) I also use the hell out of some pmag gl21s to and I've never had an issue.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 6:40:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I just bought gen 5s  ( orange followers)
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 6:53:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just bought gen 5s  ( orange followers)
View Quote

Literally just to have the orange followers to match, or is the follower the actual compatibility issue?
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 6:55:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It's mostly just because the basepad shape variance and follower colors I think.

and yes your G45 takes 17 length or longer magazines

Barring a really old and abused/worn out early gen mag they are all perfectly reliable.(Glock brand mags atleast) I also use the hell out of some pmag gl21s to and I've never had an issue.
View Quote

I'm confused, so what would make a Gen4 G17 mag not reliable in a G45...? (mainly talking off brands too, ETS)

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 7:24:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Nothing, gen 4 mags will work perfectly fine in a Gen 5.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 8:10:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Glock does make a Gen5 magazine.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 8:15:55 PM EDT
[#7]
The 19X won't take Gen 5 17 mags without a baseplate change.  About the only thing I don't like about it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 8:34:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah they do make gen5 mags. I have some gen 4 g19 I bought from a local ship, next shipment they only had gen 5 mags and I haven’t seen any gen 4 19 mags back there yet.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:10:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Glock does make a Gen5 magazine.
View Quote

But will gen 4 fit the g45, and the g45 mags fit the gen 4 g17? Mainly aftermarket (which I cant see being any different as far as fitting and feeding if the factory ones do)
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:13:36 PM EDT
[#10]
All the doublestack 9mm mags now have #7 followers.  

The only difference between a Gen5 and Gen3/4 mag is the baseplate and the Gen5 follower is orange (same #7)  Complete compatibility between the two.

The only gun with compatibility issues is the 19X. It has a little lip (for some unknown retarded dumbass sister fuckin’ reason) on the front of the grip that overlaps the baseplate and only the Gen1-3 baseplates fit.  I would Dremel that lip off asap.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:16:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

But will gen 4 fit the g45, and the g45 mags fit the gen 4 g17? Mainly aftermarket (which I cant see being any different as far as fitting and feeding if the factory ones do)
View Quote
Basically the G45 is nothing but a G17 frame designed to use a G19 slide from the factory. So a G17 magazine will fit the G45 no matter if the mag is a Gen 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5.

As others have noted the 19X is the only one that will not work with a Gen 5 magazine (without changing base plate).
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:21:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Basically the G45 is nothing but a G17 frame designed to use a G19 slide from the factory. So a G17 magazine will fit the G45 no matter if the mag is a Gen 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5.

As others have noted the 19X is the only one that will not work with a Gen 5 magazine (without changing base plate).
View Quote

Ok, thats what I figured, but every site still posts their G17 mags as Gen 1-4 which is odd
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:30:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I think that’s just a descriptor to denote the smaller baseplate and black follower.  

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:55:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I think that's just a descriptor to denote the smaller baseplate and black follower.  

View Quote
That is all it is.

The Gen 1-3 magazines only have a notch on the left side. The Gen 4 and 5 have notches on both sides for use with the ambidextrous release. Other than the extra notch, the Gen 1-4 Magazine are all the same. The Gen 5 mags have the orange follower and a longer base plate.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top