Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2020 10:45:47 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 10:47:37 PM EDT
[#1]
IIRC, they were working on a 10 round Glock 43 magazine when the 43X/48 were introduced. A 10 round 42 magazine should not be any more difficult.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 12:06:27 AM EDT
[#2]
They had a niche area they could make a product to fit. I don't see it translating anywhere else for them.

Especially since they are still having issues with the mags locking slides back on last round and using a known shit mag producer.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 1:25:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Because the 43x/48 mag had a lot of extra space. They had enough extra space that they had to put guide bars/spacers inside the body of the mag to keep everything working correctly. This is why Shield Arms was able to get that many extra rounds by switching to a metal mag. To give you some perspective, the overall width of a G43x/G48 mag is almost the same as a P228 mag.

Conversely, in almost every other Glock mag, the rounds take up the majority of the left to right space, so switching to a metal mag wouldn't yield the same increase in capacity. If you switch to an all metal G19 mag, you might be able to squeeze 2 more rounds.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 1:50:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By slims_88:
They had a niche area they could make a product to fit. I don't see it translating anywhere else for them.

Especially since they are still having issues with the mags locking slides back on last round and using a known shit mag producer.
View Quote

They're oem is no good? Can you elaborate? If so i wish someone would've told me for a dropped a chunk on the G48, two S15s, an extension, and two mag releases.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 7:43:39 AM EDT
[#5]
They are using Checkmate.

I have three and had to upgrade the springs.  Working fine.  For now.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 8:29:04 AM EDT
[#6]
The limiting factor is likely the aggressiveness of the double stack.  

Glocks internal dimensions are similar to other brands, likely because whatever angle they stack at is reliable.

If you separate the stack more to jam more in there, I imagine that would cause issues.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 3:02:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

They're oem is no good? Can you elaborate? If so i wish someone would've told me for a dropped a chunk on the G48, two S15s, an extension, and two mag releases.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Originally Posted By slims_88:
They had a niche area they could make a product to fit. I don't see it translating anywhere else for them.

Especially since they are still having issues with the mags locking slides back on last round and using a known shit mag producer.

Checkmate has a history of producing sub par mags.

The 48/43x works fine with OEM glock mags. I'm not swapping mine for these unless they show to be as reliable as OEM.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 12:11:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Because the Shield Arms mag is a double stack verses basically a single stack in the OEM mag.

G19 mags are already double stack.

What are you going to do? Make it a triple stack? That's not going to work.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 12:20:03 PM EDT
[#9]
You can't just arbitrarily and magically increase the magazine capacity of any particular size magazine. An increased capacity 48/43x magazine was able to be made because of its unique combination of design choices that resulted in wasted space that could be exploited.

If there was another similar design magazine it would be done, but there aren't.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 12:45:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You can't just arbitrarily and magically increase the magazine capacity of any particular size magazine. An increased capacity 48/43x magazine was able to be made because of its unique combination of design choices that resulted in wasted space that could be exploited.

If there was another similar design magazine it would be done, but there aren't.
View Quote
Part in red above nailed it.  You'd have damn close to side by side stack in a G17/19/26 magazine I'd Imagine.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 2:32:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 2:55:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm mostly interested in the G42 capacity.  since the outer plastic shell on factory glock magazines takes up space, removing that and going with a thin all metaal mag should free up some room.
View Quote

Possibly but due to how narrow the grip and mag are you might only gain 1 maybe 2 rounds if you are lucky.  Because the G42/43 are already short mags and very narrow adding the room required for more rounds requires a lot of space.  Look how much room the +2 round extensions require for the magazine.  My bet is you might be able to get 1 more round with the deletion of the plastic liner over the steel mag.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 6:32:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They had a niche area they could make a product to fit. I don't see it translating anywhere else for them.

Especially since they are still having issues with the mags locking slides back on last round and using a known shit mag producer.
View Quote

Interesting. I've had my mags out to the range only once, and while they all fed the rounds just fine I had the slide not lock back a few times. I attributed it to me since - and I'm embarrassed to admit this - I haven't been shooting in months since before this whole covid mess started. I figured my grip was slipping due to sweat and fatigued and I was just riding the slide lock. It only happened twice during the session (quicky shooting each mag fully loaded twice).

I'll keep an eye on them now. I'm actually fine with the OEM mag (I bought 2 one to keep stock and the other to mod ). The 43X carries a lot easier than the G26.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 6:33:46 PM EDT
[#14]
They increased capacity that much because the 43/48 aren't double stacked, they're staggered because all that thick plastic cladding takes up too much space.

The 17/19 are already true doublestacks so you won't get any capacity increase by going wider, just feeding problems if i had to hazzard a guess.

Where the 17/19/26 could benefit from a steel mag is the ability to lose thickness and make a thinner pistol.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 8:14:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Interesting. I've had my mags out to the range only once, and while they all fed the rounds just fine I had the slide not lock back a few times. I attributed it to me since - and I'm embarrassed to admit this - I haven't been shooting in months since before this whole covid mess started. I figured my grip was slipping due to sweat and fatigued and I was just riding the slide lock. It only happened twice during the session (quicky shooting each mag fully loaded twice).

I'll keep an eye on them now. I'm actually fine with the OEM mag (I bought 2 one to keep stock and the other to mod ). The 43X carries a lot easier than the G26.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quite a few people in the original thread were commenting about the slide not lock back issue. Shield fixed it by sending updated springs, but even in later batches were still having the springs that were known issues in the mags, causing later adopters to still have to get the correct springs to make it work better.

Not my idea of a quality mag to replace the OEM, when they know there's a flaw, and the fix, and haven't addressed it at the manufacturing level. This is merely my opinion, and I am excited to get some if they ever get the kinks worked out and make a mag that is as trustworthy as OEM.

For what amounts to a range only mag, I'll stick to OEM. Cheaper, and I know they work.

ETA: The fact you also HAVE to change the OEM mag release, is another design issue that irks me. I'm not opposed to a metal mag release, easy enough to switch, but I still am bothered by that.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 6:19:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm mostly interested in the G42 capacity.  since the outer plastic shell on factory glock magazines takes up space, removing that and going with a thin all metaal mag should free up some room.
View Quote

ProMag makes a G42 ten-rounder...
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 10:20:02 PM EDT
[#17]
I too would love a 10rd G42 mag, that would be incredible.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 11:22:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 12:50:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
no, stopit
View Quote

lmao
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top