Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2014 7:06:11 PM EDT
Man o man, my 19 locked open on me allot today at a pistol match. Add I was firing from a 5rd mag, after each round the slide would kick open, then I would have to less the slide release for each round to cycle it, wft?
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 7:26:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Grip issues?
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 8:32:48 PM EDT
[#2]
5 round magazine?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 8:48:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Grip issues?
View Quote

This, are you hitting the slide release upward?
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 9:49:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Did you bend the slide release when you last cleaned it?
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 6:13:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Make sure your thumb is not touching the slide stop lever while firing.  I have rather large hands, so I ended up changing my grip.  Now my thumb sits on the OUTSIDE of my support hand. That also helps prevent slide bite for me. HTH
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 6:29:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Now my thumb sits on the OUTSIDE of my support hand.
View Quote

I had to start doing that while shooting my Sigs, because my "Glock grip" that's worked with every other gun has my thumb sitting basically on that angled slide lock on Sigs.
It's one of the reasons I'd never carry it - I know if the SHTF primacy would cause me to revert to the original grip.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 6:30:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Simple problem with only two possible causes:  (1) The slide stop spring is either broken or resting on top of the #1 pin.  (2) You have inadvertently developed the bad habit of pushing upward on the slide stop each time you fire the pistol.  Correct your grip; and this problem will go away.  

TEST:  Drop the magazine, and clear the weapon.  Raise and lower the slide stop with your finger.  If the slide stop snaps back down, of its own accord, after each time you raise it up then the spring is not broken, nor improperly installed.  Use an empty magazine and manually rack the slide in order to assure that the slide locks open, and you haven't got a magazine follower problem.  (Which, in the present case, I very much doubt.)
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 6:55:19 AM EDT
[#8]
I had the same problem and swore it wasn't me/my grip, it was me. I ended up putting my forward thumb into the takedown lever area and ground the takedown lever down to flush on that side
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 7:39:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Common mistake where aggressive grip places thumbs close to the [slide stop], I get most folks to grip lefty and try and noticed it was that issue. gl.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 8:31:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
5 round magazine?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

I was shooting a match, we had to load two 5rd mags and reload.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 8:33:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Common mistake where aggressive grip places thumbs close to the [slide stop], I get most folks to grip lefty and try and noticed it was that issue. gl.
View Quote

I think this is it, I was under a 10sec time limit to fire 5 and reload.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 9:01:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Extended/aftermarket slide lock?

Had it happen to me when i tried a aerotech extended slide lock on a G19.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 11:49:26 AM EDT
[#13]
I would guess that you reassembled the frame incorrectly, with the slide stop spring resting on top of the the pin.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 2:49:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I would guess that you reassembled the frame incorrectly, with the slide stop spring resting on top of the the pin.
View Quote

Pistol worked fine, until about the 80 rd, then the hang up started.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 10:52:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Had that happen with a factory Glock extended slide stop...my finger was pushing it up. I fixed my grip but removed it and put back in the factory straight slide stop (this was on a G19)
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 4:48:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Had that happen with a factory Glock extended slide stop...my finger was pushing it up. I fixed my grip but removed it and put back in the factory straight slide stop (this was on a G19)
View Quote

Exactly what happened with my 17.  I have no need for an extended slide stop.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 5:49:49 AM EDT
[#17]
One of three things (in order of likelihood):
1) Pushing the slide stop up with your thumb
2) Slide stop installed incorrectly
3) Slide stop bent
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 5:50:12 AM EDT
[#18]
OP,

I suspect one of three problems in order of likelihood.

1) You have an extended slide stop/release and during recoil your thenar prominence is pressing the slide stop up and causing the slide to lock open. It is for this reason that I got rid of the of the extended slide stop/release on my 17L, my high support hand grip would cause this to happen often enough as to bother me.

2) You are running the gun with weapon hand thumb against the frame rather than resting on your support hand thumb. During recoil your thumb is pressing up on the slide stop/release. If this is the case, consider changing your grip.

3) You have a broken, missing, or worn out spring on your slide stop/release.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:31:36 AM EDT
[#19]
1- you're touching it.

2- the slide stop spring is broken or improperly installed.

Those are your options.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 8:00:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Some of the aftermarket slide locks have shitty springs.  Use the stock spring.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 5:29:08 PM EDT
[#21]
My first guess would be thumb malfunction.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top