Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2013 5:16:46 PM EDT
Would leaving the slide locked to the rear for a few hours or maybe a day weaken the RSA? I know you could leave mags loaded for years and it doesn't weaken the springs. How does this compare to the RSA? A good friend of mine is a Glock Armorer and I remembered him telling me about this once but a another friend asked me recently about it and I want to give him the correct info. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 7:14:36 PM EDT
[#1]
For that amount of time, no. It won't do any harm.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 10:34:53 PM EDT
[#2]
try it and see. report your findings here to add to the knowledge someone can search through for next time
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 3:30:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 4:04:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I retrieved my stolen Gen 3 17 and it had been zip-tied open for about two years. (Well I assume they hadn't played with it after tying it open.) It hasn't missed a beat since, with the same RSA.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 12:23:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys. Just don't want to give out the wrong info.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:32:49 AM EDT
[#6]
I've seen Sigs that appeared to be shipped from the factory with the slide open and the orange spacer in there.

I assume this is not harmful to handguns if the manufacturers ship that way.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:03:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No.   The recoil springs work the same as the mag springs...  compression won't weaken them, but cycling will.
View Quote

As usual, AJE has given you sound advice.  There are documented cases of WW1 1911 magazines found fully loaded with 45 ball ammo.  The springs were still fully functional (and the ammo as well).  This among other research has proven that repeated compression/decompression is what kills the springs, not prolonged compression.  Even so, if you are worried about it so much that is takes your enjoyment of shooting the gun away, make the cheap move and keep an extra RSA on hand...god knows I do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top