Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2013 3:59:28 PM EDT
I've resisted all temptation to make ANY mods to my glocks, I've owned 2 gen 3 19s for the past 10 or so years that are bone stock except for the addition of lights. Was going to add grip tape or stipple the frame for a better grip. Well, that got me looking and next thing I know I want to add a RMR, extended mag release and slide stop, heavy guide rod, custom trigger, serrate the slide, beavertail ect

So, I decided I'm not touching crap on the guns except maybe the guide rod and beavertail. Seems like the beavertail is acceptable and preferred glock mod by many, But I wanted to get a little feedback from all you guys that have added a heavier guide rod, as well as those that haven't.

edit: just did a search, read some reviews and decided not to add a guide rod. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I'll post this anyway; stippling vs grips tape, which route to go?
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 4:12:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't stipple if there is a slight chance you ever might possibly sell it.

I leave the guide rods alone unless you want a different weight spring for whatever reason.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 4:34:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I leave the guide rods alone unless you want a different weight spring for whatever reason.
View Quote

Good point. Chances are slim that I'd ever sell one, maybe only to buy a new gen4. Is it recommended not to use a plastic guide rod with a heaver spring? or is it because that's the only way they come in the aftermarket(captured on metal rod)?
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 4:36:56 PM EDT
[#3]
i have the sandpaper decal grip tape on my gen 3 17, its great, except for when you want to carry it IWB, that shit sucks.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 4:00:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Out of my 8 Glocks, I have ONE that I've done any customizing to. It's a 21-SF that's had a slight grip reduction at the front finger pads. The checkered pads were removed and very fine stippling was done in the area where the pads were to give it a grip texture that wasn't as aggressive as the checkering. The back strap checkering was also trimmed down, but I kept the checkering there.The slide stop lever was replaced with an aftermarket extended lever and a 3.5 connector added to reduce the trigger pull. The trigger guard was also undercut to make the gun sit higher in my hand. Currently looking at options for some combat style sights.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 4:40:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
i have the sandpaper decal grip tape on my gen 3 17, its great, except for when you want to carry it IWB, that shit sucks.
View Quote

I carry all my pistols AIWB with grip tape and no issues- just wear a t-shirt or wife beater under your shirt
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 4:51:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

^This^

I love it when people list Glocks for sale on the EE with custom Stipple jobs. While some don't look to bad, others are just F@#ked Up. Makes me wonder what the hell they were thinking. They're like kids with really expensive wood burning kits.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 5:42:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I carry all my pistols AIWB with grip tape and no issues- just wear a t-shirt or wife beater under your shirt
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

definitely a must to wear a shirt underneath if you are going to. do you have the sandpaper or the rubber texture? any issues with it grabbing your clothing? i usually carry my gen 4 17 with no tape if im carrying IWB. my gen 3 17 has the tape and is usually in an owb or dropleg on my belt.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 5:50:36 AM EDT
[#8]
my competition and carry Glocks both have decal grip tape... (in addition to stainless guide rods and ISMI springs and frame plugs)... I noticed the most stability improvement with addition to grip tape in the thumb swell area...
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 11:01:27 AM EDT
[#9]

I took Kyle Defoor advise and stippled the bottom of the trigger guard, and the side of the frame where my support thumb sits. Both of these have been very helpfully.        

I decided not to do anymore, as I carry IWB and stippling sucks up against your skin.

I would skip the after market guide rod. Most of the problems I see with glocks are because of after market parts.

Link Posted: 7/21/2013 5:49:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all the advise. Think I'm going to play around with some grip tape on the front and back straps and see how it feels IWB and then stipple one of them when I find what works best. Beavertails are going on, maybe sand one down and apply some tape to that.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 2:45:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Mine is stippled.  I have always worn a wifebeater under a teeshirt anyway.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 2:52:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Stipple it. I've never had an issue selling a gun I've stippled, ever. Just pay attention when you are doing it, take your time, and take breaks if you need one. I feel stippling not only helps make the gun really stick in your hand but also is more pleasing to the eye.

examples of mine:

Link Posted: 7/22/2013 11:37:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Just pay someone like coldborecustoms to do the reduction and or stippling on it for you if you actually care how the gun looks.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 2:16:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Just pay someone like coldborecustoms to do the reduction and or stippling on it for you if you actually care how the gun looks.

View Quote

Now you went and did it Now I want the grip reduction too, These are going to double in cost by the time I'm done
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 4:35:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Now you went and did it Now I want the grip reduction too, These are going to double in cost by the time I'm done
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eh, I've been accused of worse.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 4:50:04 PM EDT
[#16]
STIPPLE!
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 5:11:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Why would you want to add a heavier spring to the gun
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 6:17:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Bicycle inner tube pulled over the grip works well too.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 10:16:37 PM EDT
[#19]
I've wrapped the grips of both of my carry guns in hockey tape. Why? It provides good grip when dry and gets tacky when wet... I actually get better grip with sweaty hands than with dry. It's also removable for resale purposes and I can re-profile my grip by building up tape in the area I want to enlarge. It also doesn't chew up my skin or clothes and unlike a rubber sleeve my shirts won't stick to it, giving away the fact I'm carrying a gun. The only downside is that since the tape absorbs sweat, it starts looking nasty after a while... if that's something you care about.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 5:53:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1.  Plus afterwards you have enough to make another 100 for your other guns.  All for around $5
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 6:40:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

+1.  Plus afterwards you have enough to make another 100 for your other guns.  All for around $5
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most bike shops will give you an old tube out of the trash for free.

I have tried grip tape, A grips, bike tire tube, and Hogue Hand-Alls.  I always end up taking them off because I don't like the extra bulk around the grip.  Grip tape was probably the best, but I had issues with it peeling off.  I have shot a stippled Glock before and liked it a lot, but I haven't bitten the bullet and done it myself.  I've considered having my 3rd gen G35 reduce to the gen 4 grip size then stippled, though.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 7:07:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Why would you want to add a heavier spring to the gun
View Quote

For those who run a steady diet of hot loads, a heavier spring is often preferred to control slide velocity and prevent frame damage.  

Try some grip tape.  If you don't like it, a hair dryer and some Goo Gone will remove it PDQ.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 7:44:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Never modded a grip on any of my Glocks, but after purchasing a 4th gen, no need to... in retrospect I probably would have liked a decent stippling job, but just didn't want to modify the firearm myself.

~g

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:32:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 2:42:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Stipple it. I've never had an issue selling a gun I've stippled, ever. Just pay attention when you are doing it, take your time, and take breaks if you need one. I feel stippling not only helps make the gun really stick in your hand but also is more pleasing to the eye.

examples of mine:
<a href="http://s45.photobucket.com/user/GeninCloud/media/005_zps5fce75da.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f54/GeninCloud/005_zps5fce75da.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s45.photobucket.com/user/GeninCloud/media/021-4_zps5f53c006.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f54/GeninCloud/021-4_zps5f53c006.jpg</a>
View Quote

That looks very professionally done. Perfect, IMO. I wouldn't hesitate to buy that gun in a heart beat. Most stippled guns for sale look like they were done by Michael J Fox.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 7:49:56 PM EDT
[#26]
I feel that you really can't go wrong with either.  I put Talon grips on my 17C about a year ago and I don't have any complaints about them and think they feel great.  I really like stippling though.  You have to take your time if you DIY.  I've stippled one Glock of mine and two others that I didn't own and it took me roughly four hours each (not including prep time) to do a 19.  It might take some people less or more time.  I'm not at all any kind of professional at stippling but my results were good enough on my first go that a coworker and a friend of mine asked if I would do their 19's as well.  Steady hands are very important in what I do for a living so to me that helped out a lot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top