Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/10/2013 4:00:10 PM EDT
Getting  my first Glock. Been on the list for a G23 Gen4 for about 2 months. Does anyone use this for their CCW? I want to use this gun in place of my Witness 40 compact, which feels like a brick. Is the 23 fairly lightweight? Getting a great deal with the LE discount. Also, I was thinking about getting a Serpa holster or an IWB holster. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/10/2013 4:18:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I use a G23 (4th Gen) as my carry gun.  "Fairly lightweight" depends on you.  To me (who used to carry a SIG229) yes it is light.  I would highly advise AGAINST getting a SERPA. Google it and you'll see why (failures and ND's).  I wear mine IWB in a Comp Tac MTAC and I really like it.  It carries well and conceals very well.
Link Posted: 1/10/2013 8:55:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I carry a G23, it's relatively lightweight, kind of depends on what you are used to. I am not a big guy at all(6'1" and 158 lbs) and have no issues with it's size or weight.
I use a RCS Phantom IWB and love it, but there are a ton of other good options for IWB carry for the G23 since it uses the same holster as the G19.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 1:50:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I EDC a G23. Do not get a SERPA.

For a good OWB holster look at the Raven Concealment or its various clones or an X Concealment "C" holster--these in Kydex. If you want leather, look at the Alessi CQC-S.

For a good IWB holster look at the Comp-tac CTAC or MTAC or the Crossbreed Supertuck. If you want all leather and are spendy, look at the Milt Sparks VMII.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 3:44:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I've been EDCing a GEN3 23 for five years now in a C-TAC with great success.

I just got a Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 that is unbelievable.

I also have a Raven VG2 for alternative carry.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 4:55:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the tips. I looked at the mtac and the supertuck.Both look like good options. Hope I get the call from the gunshop that my time in line is over. Really been chomping at the bit to get one. It will be a nice addition to the family!
Link Posted: 1/12/2013 8:51:22 AM EDT
[#6]
I've been carrying a Gen 3 23 for ten years. Just picked up a Gen 4 19 to CCW.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 2:35:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Update: I bought a G30 instead. Our wonderful Governor here is pushing legislation to make a G23 illegal(10 round limit on mags). The G30 fit my hand perfect. Very happy with new addition to family.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 4:59:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Update: I bought a G30 instead. Our wonderful Governor here is pushing legislation to make a G23 illegal(10 round limit on mags). The G30 fit my hand perfect. Very happy with new addition to family.

30's are magic.  You'll love it.

Link Posted: 1/17/2013 5:04:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I EDC a G23. Do not get a SERPA.

For a good OWB holster look at the Raven Concealment *snip*.

Ditto
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:49:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Ordered my supertuck holster. Is the 13 round mag from the 21 worth the time? Three more rounds would be nice, but I think 10 should be good.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 3:36:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Is the 13 round mag from the 21 worth the time? Three more rounds would be nice, but I think 10 should be good.

Buy any G21 mags you can.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 8:14:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Moved away from a heavier Sig P229, which I still think is an excellent pistol, to the  Gen. 4 G23 due to it's lighter weight and slightly slimmer profile.  I carry AIWB and prefer the Dale Fricke Archangel for that role with the G23.  A second generation G22 was my first pistol and I find the texture on the Gen. 4 to be very beneficial over the original.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top