Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/25/2012 10:45:04 PM EDT
I own a Smith and Wesson m&p40 and am looking into buying a Glock, the question is what model?  I want to get a .40 cal as I can like the idea of switching barrels out with a 9mm storm lake, or lone wolf, etc.  I currently run a factory 9mm barrel in my m&p40 and it has had no issues with over 2k rounds through it.  So I am looking at the glock 22,23 or 27.  I like the idea of the 22 as it is the biggest and fits my hand well.  The 23 is sort of an in between and is an ok option too I guess.  The 27 would be nice as I have my conceal carry but no carry gun.  The 27 with a 9mm conversion barrel could take almost every magazine produced for the glock series, (-) the .45ACP mags of course.  The only issue is I am considering buying a m&p shield for my carry gun as it is thinner than the 27.  I have shot the glock 27 at the range and did not mind holding with fingers off, but how would it work with high cap mags such as the 33 rd with conversion barrel and 22 rd without?  

Well there is my story guys, kind of long and I ramble on a bit.  What input do you guys have for me?
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 1:01:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I own a Smith and Wesson m&p40 and am looking into buying a Glock, the question is what model?  I want to get a .40 cal as I can like the idea of switching barrels out with a 9mm storm lake, or lone wolf, etc.  I currently run a factory 9mm barrel in my m&p40 and it has had no issues with over 2k rounds through it.  So I am looking at the glock 22,23 or 27.  I like the idea of the 22 as it is the biggest and fits my hand well.  The 23 is sort of an in between and is an ok option too I guess.  The 27 would be nice as I have my conceal carry but no carry gun.  The 27 with a 9mm conversion barrel could take almost every magazine produced for the glock series, (-) the .45ACP mags of course.  The only issue is I am considering buying a m&p shield for my carry gun as it is thinner than the 27.  I have shot the glock 27 at the range and did not mind holding with fingers off, but how would it work with high cap mags such as the 33 rd with conversion barrel and 22 rd without?  

Well there is my story guys, kind of long and I ramble on a bit.  What input do you guys have for me?

Shield is only an touch thinner. Go for the 27 if you like it. 27 has more rounds and better firepower. Watch the yt vids whey they weigh both guns loaded and I think you will see how very close they are together.
Go with the g27. W
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 1:21:53 AM EDT
[#2]
If you can CC a 27 you can CC a 23, and the 23 is a better fit for most adults hands.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 1:35:39 AM EDT
[#3]
So you guys dont think the glock is too thick? The shield is such a thin gun, and I hear that the thickness is more important than the length etc in CC.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 2:31:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Do you want to stick with M&Ps? It sounds like there's some hesitation there. If so, just get a Shield as your carry gun and you're set.

Or, do you really want to get a Glock? If so, the G23 is the perfect size, do-all Glock and would be my recommendation as your first. The G27 is a great little gun and I do carry mine occasionally, but unless you need to ankle carry, the G23 can be carried just as easily/concealed.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 4:55:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd have to shoot a Shield.  I've heard lots of good things about them, but never have handled one.  One thing that I like about my Glocks is how easy I can adjust the trigger pull by simply changing out the connector.  I don't/won't ever own a .40...don't like 'em, but, more importantly, wouldn't reload .40s.  I carry a G26 daily, comfortably.  If I thought anything else would serve me better, I'd get it.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 5:27:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Might try a Glock 32 357Sig...For me it is the perfect sized pistol. It's hotter than a 40 or 9mm. The Gen 4 has an adjustable backstrap...Makes it easy to fit your hand. 13 plus 1 in a subcompact package...Nice.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 5:37:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So you guys dont think the glock is too thick? The shield is such a thin gun, and I hear that the thickness is more important than the length etc in CC.

The grip is thin, but the slide is not much thinner than a Glock 9mm/40/357.  Honestly after looking at the Shield I didn't see anything it would do that my Glock 26 doesn't do already.  On top of that, the subcompact Glocks have the advantage of being able to use larger mags (I carry a 17 round spare for my 26).
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 6:41:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

By biggest issue with carry guns in grip length.

I also wouldn't carry a gun with a conversion barrel.

I'm going to recommend the 19 here
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 8:26:13 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm kinda of a mag-whore.

Availability and price are two factors.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 9:29:56 AM EDT
[#10]
I carry a G23 everyday IWB. I am a pretty skinny guy at 6'1" and about 155 to 160 lbs and have no issues with printing or carrying it comfortably. I do not feel the narrow single stack guns are necessary for concealed carry in the vast majority of circumstances.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 10:43:42 AM EDT
[#11]
I think the mid size glocks  (19 & 23) are ALMOST the perfect size and they are good guns.

The M&P Compact IS the perfect size and if you go with the M&P compact, you can also use your full size M&P mags in the Compact. You also get 4 - 5 more rounds than the Shield.  The Sheild is almost identical in size and weight to the M&P compact except it is thinner.  M&P compacts are easy to find.  Shields are a tough to find right now.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 7:20:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Do you want to stick with M&Ps? It sounds like there's some hesitation there. If so, just get a Shield as your carry gun and you're set.

Or, do you really want to get a Glock? If so, the G23 is the perfect size, do-all Glock and would be my recommendation as your first. The G27 is a great little gun and I do carry mine occasionally, but unless you need to ankle carry, the G23 can be carried just as easily/concealed.

Boom! Knowledge bomb.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 7:24:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I think the mid size glocks  (19 & 23) are ALMOST the perfect size and they are good guns.

The M&P Compact IS the perfect size and if you go with the M&P compact, you can also use your full size M&P mags in the Compact. You also get 4 - 5 more rounds than the Shield.  The Sheild is almost identical in size and weight to the M&P compact except it is thinner.  M&P compacts are easy to find.  Shields are a tough to find right now.

G26/27 is the same size as M&Pc.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:19:32 AM EDT
[#14]
I ditched my M&P 40 for a G35.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top