Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2012 12:41:39 PM EDT
This was my first class, and I have to admit I was completely blown away by how much I learned.  It made a night-and-day difference in my ability to shoot in practical circumstances.  By lunch time I was driving the gun MUCH harder, faster, and more accurately than ever before.  For anyone who hasn't been and has any desire to shoot their handgun more aggressively, all I can say is GO!  As soon as possible!  A few gun/gear related observations:

I shot around 1000 rounds (I took 1150 and had leftovers, but I didn't count them).  The Gen 4 G34 performed flawlessly all day.  However, one of my Glock +2 extensions blew off and spilled 18 rounds of 9mm on the ground. I'll be pulling those off and replacing them with standard baseplates.  There were 11 of us (including the instructor), all shooting Glocks (at least 2 others were Gen 4 9mms), and the only issues I saw during the day were ammo related.  My buddy's G19 started off spitting empty cases at him (it only had 300 rounds or so through it at the start of the class), but when I shot it mid way through the day it no longer seemed to be doing it.  Maybe it "broke in" and started acting right?  A few of the guys had trouble over riding the slide stop, but as a lefty I didn't have that issue.  The Gen 4 grip texture made my left hand (again, I'm left handed) and fingers pretty tender by the end of the day.  I'll be the first to admit, though, that I have pretty girly hands.  I imagine if I shot that much on a regular basis they'd be a lot tougher, but I'd also be broke from buying ammo.

I installed a set of Warren Tactical sights (Sevigny competition rear and fiber optic front) the night before, and I absolutely love them.  They are so much easier to get on target than the stock sights that it almost feels like the gun is aiming itself!

I ended up winning most of the competitions we had, and my prize was a Grip Force Adapter.  I used it for the remainder of the class, but I'm still undecided on whether or not I like it.  My skin was already peeled open on the web of my hand, so no matter what I did shooting was uncomfortable for the rest of the day.  I'm going to try to get to the range some time over the 4-day Thanksgiving weekend and try it out a little more.

Using an IWB holster (MTAC) was probably not the best idea for speed.  I probably could have gained a couple tenths on my draw if I had been using a OWB holster, but I wanted to train with the holster I use the most on a day-to-day basis.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 1:57:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Try wearing gloves next time. I also don't have calloused hands, but when I am going to shoot a lot I wear some gloves and have no issues.

I love the Grip Force adapter, but it fixed the main thing I don't like about the Glock, the hump on the back of the grip. So that's really just a personal preference thing.

Also, you conceal carry a G34? :o  I'm impressed.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 3:11:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Also, you conceal carry a G34? :o  I'm impressed.

You are TRAINING...and for that, I am impressed. Good on you, brother!

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 3:13:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a MTAC "slide" that I use with my 23 and 26 primarily, but I do sometimes carry the 34 in it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:58:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I had the other G34 in your class.  You shot very well!  I hope to train with FP a whole lot more.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:50:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I had the other G34 in your class.  You shot very well!  I hope to train with FP a whole lot more.

Thanks!  I had a great time, and I am definitely considering another class with him.  Probably a carbine class next time.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:23:29 PM EDT
[#6]
AH!  This was one of Frank's classes.  Buddy of mine from a Ducati forum served with Frank when he was active duty.  I've been wanting to either get Frank up here, or get down there for one of his courses.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:49:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
AH!  This was one of Frank's classes.  Buddy of mine from a Ducati forum served with Frank when he was active duty.  I've been wanting to either get Frank up here, or get down there for one of his courses.

Yeah, I wasn't sure what the rules were on posting the details since Frank is a member here and advertises his classes on the site.  I found out about him through a coworker who is close friends with Frank's brother.  He taught me a boat load, he can run a Glock like nobody's business, and above all else he was a genuinely great guy.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:01:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Congrats on the class..  Sounds like a great one to take.

Also, I sometimes carry a G34.  it is, for the most part, the same size as a Full size 1911.    The weak side spare mags stick out a little farther though.

YMMV.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top