Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2002 3:42:09 AM EDT
At which ranges do you practice?
How do you stay in shape?
What do you consider to be "accurate enough"?
How do you replicate the stress of a shooting situation?

I guess that I wonder, after all, how you stay tuned.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 1:09:35 PM EDT
[#1]
1. Usually on private property (not an official range).

2. Pizza & Beer, no really, just day to day activity.

3. Repeated single shot presentations from the holster at approx. 5 yards, with better than 75% of the shots touching.

4. The closest thing is working under a timer.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 7:44:46 PM EDT
[#2]
At the public indoor range that's only 10 minutes from the house, I shot at 3, 5, 7, 10, 15 and 25 yards. I use IPSC silhouettes and try to keep my shots in the "A" zone. I usually draw and fire two, pushing to go as fast as I can and still get good hits. Then from the ready I fire two, again as fast as controlable. I will vary this with a single from the holster, then a double from ready, then a tripple from ready.

At the outdoor range I use, I take advantage of the opportunity and do multiple target exercises, like El Presidente or its many variations. I also do two targets, working on the transition between. Also while outside, I work on movement, which isn't possible in a shooting booth.

At the indoor range I usually shoot 150 rounds and try to go at least once a week. At the outdoor range, because it is further away and I don't get there as often to practice I shoot 200 rounds or more.

Jeff Cooper said something to me back in 1977 that I have tried to remember. Always shoot as fast as you can and still get good hits. Take only the time needed to hit. And, keep pushing yourself.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 8:58:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I worked real slow until I could get 100 out of 100 in a 4-inch circle at 21 feet.

Now I draw from holster, getting first shot off as fast as possible, trying to put it in 4-inch circle at 21 or 75 feet. I'm satisfied if I get it within 8-inch circle. Outside that is bad.

I also move between 3 targets, at different distances, as fast as I can keep it within 8-inch circles.

Sometimes I do 6 shots as fast as I can, without using the sights between shots, so my arm/hand muscles learn how to aim when I don't have time for sights. I also like the noise.

To keep in shape I do decline sit-ups holding AR15.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 1:56:41 PM EDT
[#4]
3 yds - speed-rock from the holster 3 rounds.
5 yds - Point shoulder from the holster
        four rounds as fast as possible
7 yds - Point shoulder from the holster
        four rounds as fast as possible
15yds - double taps from the ready.

Accuracy is primary, speed comes from practice.
I use B-5 targets and aim center of mass. In self defense I believe in multiple impacts in rapid succession.

I stay in shape by shooting... + pizza & Beer

Accurate enough for me is an 6" diameter circle
with the center being the center of the chest.

Replicate Stress?.......Good question, I personally prefer to mentally control stress and eliminate Panic. I try to be prepared to act calmly in stressful situation. A level head is you best and foremost weapon.

If you'd like to replicate the adrenaline rush of unexpected combat, try a few wind sprints immediately before firing your weapon

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 3:53:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, guys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top