Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2011 4:39:41 PM EDT
A local gun shop has a glock 17 gen 4 for a pretty good price. I was reading reviews on the gun and I found a lot of negative feedback. My question is, what is ya'lls opinion?
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 5:04:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I hear a lot of bag things on the Recoil Spring, but I've never seen one myself have a problem. I have the Gen 4 Glock 22 and after that I put my Sig away, along with my S&W. I wouldn't have any other carry gun. I don't see how anyone can get into the Gen3 and below, you literally have to have the hand of an orangutan in order to grip it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 6:45:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a Gen4 G17 with around 1300rds through it and I like it. I replaced both the RSA and the extractor. The new RSA didn't seem to make a difference, but it was free so I put it in anyway, the new extractor from Lone Wolf made a huge difference in how the casings were thrown from the gun. In total I think I've had about 3 stovepipes with the gun, one with some Hornandy 125gr HD loads  and two with Fed Champion 115gr. The Hornandy malfunction happened before any mods were done and the Fed malfunctions happened after the new spring but before the new extractor. The gun has been flawless since the mods were done.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 7:09:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Give it a closer look at make sure it has the new ejector 'n rsa etc
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 8:27:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Gen 4 17 and 19 here with zero problems.  Love the Gen4's, huge improvement over the Gen3's.  The stippling, mag release, slim frame and RSA are nice touches.  As usual people just repeat what they've heard on the net, most probably don't even own a Gen4.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 9:08:04 PM EDT
[#5]
The latest RSA is marked 0-2-4  the new ejector is marked 30274. These parts seemed to have fixed the problems with the Gen 4 17

Link Posted: 12/31/2011 10:57:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I own a glock 19 gen 4 and zero problems for me so far...
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 2:01:46 AM EDT
[#7]
I'll be a new G4 17 owner on the 7th.  Can't freakin wait.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 4:09:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Gen 4 17 and 19 here with zero problems.  Love the Gen4's, huge improvement over the Gen3's.  The stippling, mag release, slim frame and RSA are nice touches.  As usual people just repeat what they've heard on the net, most probably don't even own a Gen4.

I dont own a Gen 4 glock and probably never will. There have been enough first hand accounts of problems with the gen 4 9mm models that I know it was not just internet bullshit. A guy I know in real life that runs classes local has all but sworn off glocks and he used to drink deeply of the koolaid. Glocks used to have a rep for being able to be pulled out of the box new, lubed and shot with 100% reliability with almost any shit ammo. They were the AK of the handgun world. And IMO glock introduced changes with the Gen 4 to correct problems some were having with Gen 3 .40 cal models that fixed those but caused some initial problems in the 9mm models.

That said everyone knew it was only a matter of time before glock got it figured out and fixed. And hopefully they have now.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 5:08:29 AM EDT
[#9]
How good is the price? I won't run out and buy out from under you.

Go to the counter, ask the guy if you can field strip the slide from frame or ask if he will. Inform him that Glock has a recall in place, and you want make sure the correct parts are in the gun.

Then two options:

First if it has correct parts (New rsa and ejector combo), and you like the price. Get it.

Second if it has the troublesome parts, give him some BS about having to send it in for the recall. or having to pay the expense of getting an armorer to update the gun. Ask to get the sticker price knocked down another $40-$50. You are offering to take a headache off their hands for them, but at a reduced price.

Lastly, if you buy it shoot it some before using it as self defense carry gun. Make sure its going to work. Also the orginal RSA was set up for higher pressure military/law enforcement ammunition. Powder puff loads like Fed Champion and WWB, aren't going to be the rounds I 'mgonna send at bad guys. I don't know of a single person going in harms way who takes for granted that their sidearm will 100% straight from the box. Test fire, and test frire with your chosen carry load.

Glock should have just updated the grip texture/back strap on the Gen 4 9mms, and left the RSA alone. But a stronger recoil spring in .40SW and .357SIG was long over due.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 11:08:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Bought 2 new glocks since mid summer.  Gen 4 34 first, wanted a gen 3 so it was an exact backup gun, and a gen 3 17 just before thanksgiving.  I like the new textue of the gen 4, but add a backstrap so they all feel the same.  The new 17 has odd ass ejection patterns, but runs like a top.  BTW the new frames are not "slim" they are short.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 12:43:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dont own a Gen 4 glock and probably never will. There have been enough first hand accounts of problems with the gen 4 9mm models that I know it was not just internet bullshit. A guy I know in real life that runs classes local has all but sworn off glocks and he used to drink deeply of the koolaid. Glocks used to have a rep for being able to be pulled out of the box new, lubed and shot with 100% reliability with almost any shit ammo. They were the AK of the handgun world. And IMO glock introduced changes with the Gen 4 to correct problems some were having with Gen 3 .40 cal models that fixed those but caused some initial problems in the 9mm models.

That said everyone knew it was only a matter of time before glock got it figured out and fixed. And hopefully they have now.

I marked out the bullshit.  You don't even own one yet you want to REPEAT WHAT YOU'VE HEARD.   lol  
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 12:45:39 PM EDT
[#12]
I handled my friends Gen4 21 last weekend, ordered mine Fri so it should be here to shoot next weekend.  This is his second Gen4 21, zero issues.  I expect my Gen4 21 will have no issues as well.  The slimmer frame for the 21 was long overdue.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 1:41:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a Gen 4 17 and a 19 as well as Gen 3 versions of the same pistols. My Gen 4's have been great, only 1 FTE on the 17 due to a "pfft" type ignition on one 147 gr. Federal Eagle round. I replaced the RSA's but never had any problems with the originals. Occasional misdirected brass in the face bur I intend to have the replacement 30274 ejectors installed. I like all my Glocks but prefer the feel of the Gen 4 grip.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 1:43:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a gen4 17 with a few hundred round's threw it, with no problems.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 2:04:39 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a Glock 22 Gen4. It has the new RSA, however I didn't have any issues with the original. The new one does seem to be much better built to me. So far, I have 500 rounds through the gun....200 with the original RSA and 300 with the new one. I've had zero issues and really like the piece.

Now that it seems Glock has the issues resolved, I will purchase a Gen4 Glock 19 over the winter to compliment my Gen3 19 RTF2.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 2:13:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I marked out the bullshit.  You don't even own one yet you want to REPEAT WHAT YOU'VE HEARD.   lol  

Again as you seem to have a problem reading, a friend of mine that runs classes has seen tons of gen 4 glocks shit the bed This is a guy that has sung the praises of glocks for as long as I have known him, is a glock armorer and teaches a lot of CCW classes. I do not own one as I prefer the glocks that run and stick with the gen 3 models. They fit my hand well enough so I figure there is no need to change for something that may or may not work.

Again as reading aint your thing, I knew glock would eventually work out the bugs ( and there have been many ) with the gen 4 and it seems like they have. Reports of problems seem to be going away and reports like yours of them running 100% seem to be more common. Or because I read your first hand report on the internet should I assume you are full of shit
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 5:07:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Again as you seem to have a problem reading, a friend of mine that runs classes has seen tons of gen 4 glocks shit the bed This is a guy that has sung the praises of glocks for as long as I have known him, is a glock armorer and teaches a lot of CCW classes. I do not own one as I prefer the glocks that run and stick with the gen 3 models. They fit my hand well enough so I figure there is no need to change for something that may or may not work.

Again as reading aint your thing, I knew glock would eventually work out the bugs ( and there have been many ) with the gen 4 and it seems like they have. Reports of problems seem to be going away and reports like yours of them running 100% seem to be more common. Or because I read your first hand report on the internet should I assume you are full of shit

Cool I have a lot of buddies with the new Gen 4 9mm's and they've never had a problem with theirs. Once again it's your friend and they might be biased, because they love their gen 3's which is fine (I just don't have the hand of an orangutan in order to hold one properly) unless you actually see one yourself it's just heresay, imo.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 11:27:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Thank you for the replies guys. Where would be the best place to get the new ejector from? Any vendors on here ya'll recommend?
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 11:48:08 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Thank you for the replies guys. Where would be the best place to get the new ejector from? Any vendors on here ya'll recommend?

I'm pretty sure that Glock will send the new ejector to a Certified Glock Armorer for installation, or you can send it back to Glock to have them install it. As far as I know, the 30274 ejector is not being sold by 3rd party vendors...yet.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:18:02 PM EDT
[#20]
I bought it! I have a new toy. RSA reads 0-4-2. 0 is to the left, 4 on the bottom, and 2 to the right. Took it apart last night and the extractor had the number 1 on it. Nothing else. I will take it to the range and put one hundred rounds through it this weekend and give ya'll guys an update on how it shoots.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:04:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I bought it! I have a new toy. RSA reads 0-4-2. 0 is to the left, 4 on the bottom, and 2 to the right. Took it apart last night and the extractor had the number 1 on it. Nothing else. I will take it to the range and put one hundred rounds through it this weekend and give ya'll guys an update on how it shoots.

Look at the number on the ejector not the extractor.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:36:37 PM EDT
[#22]
I got the Gen 4 G19 in September and it has the "336" extractor in it.  I've shot over 500 rounds through it and other than getting hit in the head once in the first mag have had zero issues.  Haven't had a single problem with it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:29:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Keep coming back to this thread.  Saturday I'll be the new owner for a G4 17.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:19:39 AM EDT
[#24]
I have an G4 M17 early gun and zero issues. Maybe there were teething problems on the initial Gen 4 guns, very un-Glock like. Lots of internet posting of problems, but the internet has a way of magnifying issues. Of course if it's your issue withe a brand new 600.00 firearm, it's a big problem. They seem to be fine now and the problems are fixable. I also have an early Kahr PM 9 that's run great from day 1.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:46:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Just picked up a Gen4 17 to keep my Gen 3 19 company...I absolutlely love it.  Checked with Glock warranty and there was the RSA already in my pistol at time of mfg.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 3:26:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I also have the 336 ejector. Is this the problematic one?
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:10:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I also have the 336 ejector. Is this the problematic one?

I'm not sure; I do know that 30274 is the fixed ejector.
Link Posted: 1/17/2012 2:46:13 PM EDT
[#28]
So I got a chance to shoot my glock 17 gen 4 this past week and out of two hundered rounds of the white box winchester from walmart, I had 8 shells hit me in my face. I spoke with the glock warranty department and the guy tells me to find a certified glock armorer and they will send me the new part. The catch is I have to pay the armorer to replace the part??? WTF!  Is there anyone here that had to pay the armorer to put the part in?  Glock should be paying all expenses for these faulty parts in my opinion. So does anyone know how to locate a certified glock armorer?
Link Posted: 1/17/2012 3:16:27 PM EDT
[#29]
most larger gun shops have certified armorers on staff. What part of TX are you from?  If you can find the armorer to get the part for you, and just give it to you, it's easy to replace anyhow.  Some may do it for free anyway due to the simplicity of it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2012 8:05:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
most larger gun shops have certified armorers on staff. What part of TX are you from?  If you can find the armorer to get the part for you, and just give it to you, it's easy to replace anyhow.  Some may do it for free anyway due to the simplicity of it.

I am located in Houston. I called a few shop's today, but none of them have a Glock certified armorer. I will keep looking till I find a Glock certified armorer.
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 4:13:36 AM EDT
[#31]
I have a Gen4 17 and I really like the piistol. I bought it a few weeks ago and it did not need to have a new RSA...I have shot over 400 rounds through it and there has not been a bobble at all...
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 6:49:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The latest RSA is marked 0-2-4  the new ejector is marked 30274. These parts seemed to have fixed the problems with the Gen 4 17

I have the 0-2-4 and 30274 parts in my new Glock 17 Gen 4. Took it out for the first time today and fired 300 rounds. No malfunctions. Ejects consistently to the right. Keeper.
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 7:47:38 PM EDT
[#33]
i have a gen 4 17 with the so called bad recoil spring and ejector, works fine!
my first glock and im converted!
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 9:39:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 12:31:11 AM EDT
[#35]
My Gen4 19 from August 2011 had 20+ malfs in its first 1000 rounds. Glock replaced the RSA and installed the 30274 ejector and it's been 100% since
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 6:22:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Hi.  I'm fairly new to the web site.  First time post.

I bought a G17 gen4 late last year.  When it was new, it jammed about every 5th round (mostly FTF with some stove pipes).  Glock replaced the spring (now have the 0 2 4 spring).  The jams dropped to one every 40-50 rounds (mostly stove pipes).  I then sent it to Glock - they replaced the ejector.  I got it back 2 weeks ago.  

Today, I went to the range and ran 1000 rounds through it and had 6 jams (5 FTF and one stove pipe).

What is a reasonable rate for jamming?  1 jam every 166 rounds seems high.  

I have a G22 that I've fired thousands of rounds through.  It has NEVER jammed.  Should I expect the same "Glock Perfection" from my G17 gen 4?

Link Posted: 2/9/2012 8:09:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I bought a G17 gen4 late last year.  When it was new, it jammed about every 5th round (mostly FTF with some stove pipes).  Glock replaced the spring (now have the 0 2 4 spring).  The jams dropped to one every 40-50 rounds (mostly stove pipes).  I then sent it to Glock - they replaced the ejector.  I got it back 2 weeks ago.  

Today, I went to the range and ran 1000 rounds through it and had 6 jams (5 FTF and one stove pipe).

First, welcome!

Second, I'd consider that a completely unacceptable failure rate.  What ammo were you using?
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 8:52:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Hi.  I'm fairly new to the web site.  First time post.

What is a reasonable rate for jamming?  1 jam every 166 rounds seems high.  

I have a G22 that I've fired thousands of rounds through.  It has NEVER jammed.  Should I expect the same "Glock Perfection" from my G17 gen 4?

My brand new G17 Gen 4 with a test fire date of 3/11 had the same failure rate as yours. Execpt my problem was FTE's. I have the old RSA assembly, not the 0-2-4 RSA with the 336 ejector.

Mine didn't throw brass at my head, when it didn't FTE. So that was the good thing about it.

I swapped the gen 4 RSA for a gen 3 guide rod setup with a ISMI 17lbs spring and it ran like a champ afterwards, I don't think I'm even gonna contact glock for the new RSA since it works fine now.

Link Posted: 2/10/2012 11:23:49 AM EDT
[#39]
For my 1000 rounds, I was shooting REM bulk, Winchester white box (both from Wal-Mart) and a couple of boxes of Federal +P+ defensive rounds.  All of it meets SAAMI specs.  I also used 5 different magazines (the FTFs weren't all from a single magazine).

I just got off the phone with the Glock tech guys.  They want me to send it back so they can "carefully" go through the firearm.  Why didn't they do that when they had it before?

Link Posted: 2/10/2012 1:26:22 PM EDT
[#40]
It seems like there has been some 'hit or miss' with some of the Gen4s. I have 3 Gen 4s, a 17, 23, and 21.  All of them have the newest recoil spring. I have fired over 1600 rounds with the 17 and I have not had any issues (i didn't have issues with either recoil spring).
The 23 only has @ 500 rounds with the 'older' recoil spring shooting both 357 and 40 in it, and again, I have not had any issues. This was with the 'older' recoil spring. Next week i'll put @500 rounds of 357 / 40 through it.
I just bought the Gen 4 21 and I haven't had time to shoot it yet. I plan on putting 1000 rounds through it next week and i'll let you know how it goes.

Different people have had different experiences with it, but i am fully confident in the Gen 4 .
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 9:10:40 AM EDT
[#41]
I shot my brand new G17 Gen 4 today. used PMC Bronze 115 grain ammo. out of approx 170 rounds I had 3 fails to feed. Seems like the ejection is weak and the spring doesnt have enough strength to push the slide forward sometimes. Could just be it needs to break in. I think I might use some +P ammo next time I go to the range. This gun has the old 336 ejector and the new RSA. I would like to get the new ejector but I hear you have to ship your gun to Glock....no thanks! Anyways the good news is that my new G22 has no issues what so ever. shoots like a champ. I also ordered the LWD 40-9 conversion barrel for it and a 9mm RSA. its the old 9mm RSA too that was recalled and it works like a champ. Just so everyone knows you cant use the Gen 4 G22 RSA with a 40-9 conversion barrel, you have to use the 9mm RSA or it wont work. Back to the G17 Range report, The ejection on the G17 is erratic but never came close to hitting me in the face...just seems very weak. Sometimes it seems the would barely clear the ejection port.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 11:43:06 AM EDT
[#42]
Bigbear713- Has this been resolved? PM me regarding an upgraded ejector.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 7:33:27 PM EDT
[#43]
I bought my G17 for self-defense.  Ultimately, I need to decide if I am willing to bet my life on a firearm that jams.

Glock failed to fix the problem after replacing the recoil spring and the ejector.  At their suggestion, I am sending the pistol back to them a second time.  Even if they fix it, my confidence in Glock has been  shaken.

Any suggestions on a good full sized 9-mm semi-automatic pistol made by someone other than Glock?

Link Posted: 2/12/2012 10:05:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I bought my G17 for self-defense.  Ultimately, I need to decide if I am willing to bet my life on a firearm that jams.

Glock failed to fix the problem after replacing the recoil spring and the ejector.  At their suggestion, I am sending the pistol back to them a second time.  Even if they fix it, my confidence in Glock has been  shaken.

Any suggestions on a good full sized 9-mm semi-automatic pistol made by someone other than Glock?

I think these Glocks are more finicky than the previous Glocks, The seem to like heavier loads. when I run anything other than 115 Grain rounds I have no problems. I think the Gen 4 require a break in to run reliably. Run a box of +p and then your range ammo to see if it runs better! I think the spring needs to break in!
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 4:38:56 PM EDT
[#45]
This thread is changing my opinion of wanting to become a new Glock owner. Im wanting to pick up a G4 17, but dont want to get a bad first impression if I have issues with it. I own XDs and a bunch of M&P's and can count on one hand the issue Ive had with all of them combined. Im sure not every one you pick up off the shelf is going to be problematic, but the last thing I want to have to do is call Glock after the first time I shoot it to start problem solving.
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 2:33:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
This thread is changing my opinion of wanting to become a new Glock owner. Im wanting to pick up a G4 17, but dont want to get a bad first impression if I have issues with it. I own XDs and a bunch of M&P's and can count on one hand the issue Ive had with all of them combined. Im sure not every one you pick up off the shelf is going to be problematic, but the last thing I want to have to do is call Glock after the first time I shoot it to start problem solving.

All i can tell you is that the 2 gen 4 guns that i own and shoot have been problem free. When i shoot the newest gen 4 that i bought this week i'll let you know how it works out. I have gotten rid of all of my SIGs (P220, 226,228, 229) and re[laed them with glocks. Its a better trigger and a more consistent operating system. I am 100% satisfied with mine.
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 2:38:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
A local gun shop has a glock 17 gen 4 for a pretty good price. I was reading reviews on the gun and I found a lot of negative feedback. My question is, what is ya'lls opinion?

it was the gun that turned me onto glocks.  it's the only glock i own and have never had an issue with it.  it's a toss up between the glock 17 and beretta 92fs as to which is my favorite 9mm

two of my friends own g17 's and both love them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top