Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2011 1:29:39 PM EDT
Recently did a grip chop and grip reduction on my G 17. Fits my hand much better and when I carry it, it is much easier to conceal with the shorter grip. I used spray on bedliner to finish the roughed up areas in using some "dabbing" methods of simply spraying some on a plate them using a course spounge to dab it on in the areas I thought it needed.
I included a picture of a normal G17 mag to give a visual image of how much shorter the G19 grip is compared to the G17 grip length. While I was at it I polished the breech, barrel and the trigger engagment areas to lighten the trigger pull to roughly 4.5 lbs.
I think it turned out well. I did aggressive stipple on the front and back and left the sides fairly smooth for comfort when carrying.

Only thing left to do is put some XS 24/7 big dots on it. It's not a target pistol so I dont mind having that huge front sight.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 1:44:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I like it a lot. It looks very well thought out and executed. 10/10
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 1:48:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow, good on you dude. I would not have the testicular fortitude to go hacking away at my Glock.

Enjoy and stay safe.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:54:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow, that may be the ugliest handgun I have ever seen. I'm glad it's more functional for you, but wow.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:28:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Good job.  It takes nutz to go hackin on a $500 piece of plastic.

Look out, it's addicting.

Here's mine, so far, I'm tryin to stay away from the bedliner.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:44:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:48:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey, you paid good money for it and its yours.  Its fun to customize your items to your liking.  I was pissed Glock didnt put a light rail on the Gen 4 baby 26 & 27, so I took a small tri-file to my Gen3 26 and after many painstaking hours I made a light rail on my G26.  Now my pocket rocket hosts my Viridian subcompact green laser & light. The C5L unit fits perfectly in front of the trigger guard and doesnt exceed the muzzle nor below the trigger guard.  Still fits in my pocket holster with the laser/light.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:50:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Here's mine, so far, I'm tryin to stay away from the bedliner.http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af357/ligaf2000/G17Cut-DownStippledwStippledMag.jpg

Dang, good work.  That looks very nicely done.

OP hate to say it but you could take a cue from this one.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:26:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hey, you paid good money for it and its yours.  Its fun to customize your items to your liking.  I was pissed Glock didnt put a light rail on the Gen 4 baby 26 & 27, so I took a small tri-file to my Gen3 26 and after many painstaking hours I made a light rail on my G26.  Now my pocket rocket hosts my Viridian subcompact green laser & light. The C5L unit fits perfectly in front of the trigger guard and doesnt exceed the muzzle nor below the trigger guard.  Still fits in my pocket holster with the laser/light.

Got a photo of that?  I'd sure like to see it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:01:48 PM EDT
[#9]
elemo, if I knew how to post pics I would.  I'm not much of a computer guy
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:54:25 AM EDT
[#10]
I've had people say "why not just buy a G19 and it would be the right size already?"
well I have the G17 already and its not being used, so why not chop it? Besides I like the regular G17 slide length accuracy, just hated the grip size for concealed carry.
Already got a buddy wanting me to do the chop on his G19 into a G26 length.........I wont charge him but I'll nake him assist me so he can see how to do it later.
Im big on learning and If I just do it for him , he wont appreciate it as much.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:37:53 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here's mine, so far, I'm tryin to stay away from the bedliner.http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af357/ligaf2000/G17Cut-DownStippledwStippledMag.jpg

There's no comparison.  AF hardly did anything besides put some grip tape on it.

ETA:  And what's with the double thread, and responses getting added to both of them?

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:43:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Anybody ever try putting a 17 slide on a 19 frame?  Would it work?  I see that TacSol is making a 17/22 conversion, wondering if that would work on a 19.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 9:46:53 AM EDT
[#13]
The dust cover on the 19/23 frame is to small for a 17/22 slide.  I believe that LW makes some type of conversion.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 10:20:55 AM EDT
[#14]
just saw ar"s mag well is that glock factory or is that what your saying you did
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 10:39:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

There's no comparison.  AF hardly did anything besides put some grip tape on it.

ETA:  And what's with the double thread, and responses getting added to both of them?

I'll take a almost-stock-looking conversion like AFCarbon15 did all day every day over something that looks like it was in a house fire.
Nicely done, AF.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 10:48:39 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Anybody ever try putting a 17 slide on a 19 frame?  Would it work?  I see that TacSol is making a 17/22 conversion, wondering if that would work on a 19.

The 17 barrel won't go in the 19.  The lugs are different.  The 19 barrel/slide can go on a 26.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 10:52:45 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll take a almost-stock-looking conversion like AFCarbon15 did all day every day over something that looks like it was in a house fire.

Nicely done, AF.

ETA:  Dam, I agree now.  I didn't even realize he did a grip chop.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 11:00:23 AM EDT
[#18]
that would be the only way id ever own a glock again.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 11:01:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Yup grip is bobbed.  I left the tail behind the mag at the bottom of the backstrap, similar to a factory G26.

Also, I guess its hard to tell in that pic, but it's not grip tape, it's stippled.  I also filled the backstrap, but didn't do a true reduction.  I left the factory hump.

Didn't intend to hijack the thread or discount the OP's work.  In fact quite the opposite.

A little better pic of the chopped grip

Closer shot of the stippling.  Its pretty conservative as this in an EDC rig.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 11:04:40 AM EDT
[#20]
so is it possible to go the other way and get a 19 slide to work on a 17 frame?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 11:22:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Nice work on the grip chop AF, I like how the mags fit flush in mine also. The factory 17 had a huge gap adding even more length to the grip.
Whoever made the statment about mine looking like it was in a house fire, I'm not sure where that comes from, simply took off the finger grooves and did stippling front and back.
Anyways its more functional as the tool it is intended to be. If I wanted pretty I would bring out pictures of my 1911s.....haha
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 11:22:48 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

so is it possible to go the other way and get a 19 slide to work on a 17 frame?

No, the lugs on the barrels are different.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:01:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Nice work on the grip chop AF, I like how the mags fit flush in mine also. The factory 17 had a huge gap adding even more length to the grip.
Whoever made the statment about mine looking like it was in a house fire, I'm not sure where that comes from, simply took off the finger grooves and did stippling front and back.
Anyways its more functional as the tool it is intended to be. If I wanted pretty I would bring out pictures of my 1911s.....haha

"More functioal"

Exactly!  For me he part I cut off of the trio was excess, maybe I just have small hands.  But to make it much more concealable and only lose 2 rounds, it was well worth it.  I modify everything and enjoy knowing I made something more useful (to me anyway)  until cutting it, my ol G17 never left the safe.  Now it's my EDC 80% of the time.

Do a follow-up in a jmonth or so, let us know how the bedliner is holding up.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:22:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Will do, most of the texture you see is the aggressive stippling and I used the bed liner just to cover the white color of the epoxy that was showing through the back of the grip. Seems fairly tough stuff but we shall see in the real world of concealed carry.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:47:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Wow, that looks really good!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top