Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2010 11:00:10 AM EDT
So i am thinking about buying a glock next week me dealer has a couple of gen 4s in stock i thought they were great since they have the dual spring for recoil reduction. But i did some research on glock forums and they have been saying the gen 4 glocks jam like crazy i wanted to know if this has been fixed also wanted to know if i could change the gen 4s dual spring for a gen 3s single recoil spring this is the first handgun i will own so should i get the gen 3 or 4  your help would be greatly appreciated thank you.

Update Decided to go with the gen 4 now i bought 500 rounds of this at wally world is it any good i would like to avoid a kaboom recommend ammo please.
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 11:09:19 AM EDT
[#1]
GEN3 no question.

ETA:There is an aftermarket adapter that allows the use of a GEN1/2/3 spring in a GEN4.

Link Posted: 10/16/2010 11:11:43 AM EDT
[#2]
IIRC, the problems with Gen 4 glocks were with the 9mm platform.  The .40 caliber apparently have enough recoil power to overcome the dual spring.  I also remember that glock was switching some 9mm dual recoil spring assemblies out for the single spring version.  Idk is the Gen 4 and Gen 3 recoil spring assemblies are interchangeable, but my advice would be to get a Gen 3.  It has been prven ovber and over and although I will buy a Gen 4, I won't do it for another few months to ensure everything has been taken care of.  However, I do not have experience with the Gen 4, this is only what I have read.  I love the gen 3 series, especially the RTF2 frames, which are very similar to Gen 4 frames.
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 4:03:34 PM EDT
[#3]
If you have any issues reaching the magazine release on a Gen 3 Glock, then the Gen 4 is a good choice.

I really like my Gen 3 Glock 19 & 23, but absolutely love my Gen 4 19.

Their is a very good chance that I will be selling my 3rd Gen 19 to get another Gen4 19.
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 5:14:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Gen 4 for the mag release, I have a gen 4 19 that I've put 1K flawless rounds through.
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 6:38:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I want to shoot a Gen4 G23 because of the dual recoil system. That is the only Gen4 I really have any interest in. If there is less muzzle flip....I may put it on my WANT list.
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 7:39:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I've heard many people say they have heard about problems with the Gen4 jamming, but only, maybe, one guy with the actual problem.  Glock sent him the updated spring and it was fine.

The problems were only with low power ammo.  Glocks are designed for real use, meaning quality defense ammo.  The dual spring provides less recoil.  But some were having trouble only with low power ammo.

It's fixed, and never existed on the .40 anyway.

I recommend Gen4.  I prefer the grip on my 4 G19 over the gen3
Link Posted: 10/17/2010 12:47:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've heard many people say they have heard about problems with the Gen4 jamming, but only, maybe, one guy with the actual problem.  Glock sent him the updated spring and it was fine.

The problems were only with low power ammo.  Glocks are designed for real use, meaning quality defense ammo.  The dual spring provides less recoil.  But some were having trouble only with low power ammo.

It's fixed, and never existed on the .40 anyway.

I recommend Gen4.  I prefer the grip on my 4 G19 over the gen3

I shoot mostly wolf with mine and it functions just fine.
Link Posted: 10/17/2010 10:37:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Gen 4 cause the recoil spring handles the recoil incredibly well.  Very very soft shooting guns, and the grip is 10x better.

If you have problems, Glock will send you a new spring, and the problem will show itself immediately.
Link Posted: 10/17/2010 12:35:27 PM EDT
[#9]
play with them both, then decide for yourself. don't let the "jam-prone" rumors deter you from a GEN4 - buy the one that "feels" better for you and never look back.

personally, i wasn't real crazy about the GEN4s, but i'm starting to warm up to them - i guess they have their place, but as long as they continue to produce the GEN3s i have no issues.

good luck!
Link Posted: 10/17/2010 1:52:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I was all set to buy another Gen4 19, but now i'm really leaning towards a Gen4 23.

I've already got a 23 setup with .357sig and 9mm conversion barrels, nice to keep my options open.
Link Posted: 10/17/2010 7:26:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Gen4 hands down. The Gen4 addressed all of my problems with the Glock platform––grip size, mag release, and grip texture. The dual recoil spring is icing on the cake.

Personally, I think the jamming issue with the 9mm Gen4s (never were any with the .40s) was from user-induced limp wristing. 9mm Glocks are already notoriously easy to limp wrist, and the Gen4's dual recoil spring combined with low powered ammo only compound the problem. All of the malfunction types that users were reporting (mostly stove piping) are indicative of limp wristing. Glock already fixed the problem with the 02 recoil assembly anyway.
Link Posted: 10/17/2010 7:38:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Gen4 hands down. The Gen4 addressed all of my problems with the Glock platform––grip size, mag release, and grip texture. The dual recoil spring is icing on the cake.

Those are only problems for people that don't like Glock's.

Link Posted: 10/17/2010 7:46:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have not shot a Gen 4, but other than basic teething problems from the changes what is the problem with the new design?

Link Posted: 10/17/2010 7:53:03 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

Are you insinuating that a specific grip shape not fitting someone's hand, someone's thumb not being long enough to reach the mag release, and smooth plastic becoming slick when wet are not logical issues that a shooter may have with a specific handgun and are instead based entirely on a personal bias against a brand name?

Link Posted: 10/17/2010 8:20:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If you have any issues reaching the magazine release on a Gen 3 Glock, then the Gen 4 is a good choice.

The mag release problem can be solved with a Vickers Tactical Mag release. Some good information in this post.

I like the small grip of the Gen4s but I don't like the mag release. It's not as good as my Gen 3 with a Vickers.

Link Posted: 10/17/2010 8:29:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Gen 4
Link Posted: 10/17/2010 9:41:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Gen 3 RTF2
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 4:07:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Gen 3 RTF2

Is this a carry piece or a HD only gun?
I'd avoid extra rough textures on a carry gun.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 6:36:20 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gen 3 RTF2

I've been packing a 23 RTF2 for the last 6-8 months in a CB supertuck. I've had no issues with it but my normal attire includes an undershirt.

The RTF does not snag clothing IME, but it will take skin of your hand in a long practice session.

Link Posted: 10/18/2010 8:20:13 AM EDT
[#20]
The RTF has a pyramid texture that may catch on clothing.  The Gen 4 texture is flat on top and is less likely to catch.  I've carried mine (empty) in my waistband around the house and have had no problems.  Especially with a Crossbreed or M-tac you'll be fine.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gen 3 RTF2

Link Posted: 10/18/2010 4:05:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The mag release problem can be solved with a Vickers Tactical Mag release. Some good information in this post.

I like the small grip of the Gen4s but I don't like the mag release. It's not as good as my Gen 3 with a Vickers.

Extending it does not make it easier to reach, only easier to depress.

The elongated Gen4 magazine comes back toward the rear of the gun making depressing it without adjusting the grip possible.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 8:00:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Extending it does not make it easier to reach, only easier to depress.

The elongated Gen4 magazine comes back toward the rear of the gun making depressing it without adjusting the grip possible.

Probably true, but I ran a lot of El-Prez drills with a borrowed Gen4. Grip felt good, hits were good, but the mag change hung me up continually.
So until Glock or someone comes out with a Vickers like mag release for the Gen4 I'll pass. I imagine it will take about 6 months to a year.
But it's still more usable than a stock Gen3 mag release.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Gen4s are a step up. I'm just not ready to put my money down on one yet.

Link Posted: 10/19/2010 2:39:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Took my new Gen4 G23 to the range for the first time last night. Only got 200+/- rounds in before it got dark but the weapon ran smooth as silk with nary a hickup. And yes, I just used "nary" in a sentence. For what it's worth the TLR-1 on the front caused no issues, so hopefully between the Gen4 tweaks and the most current mags the light issues are history.

I crapped all over the Gen4's when they first came out but I have to eat crow. The grip was great. While it still has "the hump" I can reach the trigger without having to adjust my grip (which has resulted in many dollars of grip reductions). Even with my tiny clown fingers it was comfortable and left me with no new blisters as sometimes is the case with a new one (for me anyway).

One of the mags didn't want to drop free. Will give it another range trip before getting the sandpaper out.

Going to use it at a 3 day training class this weekend. When/if it survives that I'll put it in the carry rotation/night stand rotation and put the two currently there back in the gun cabinet for now.

Link Posted: 10/19/2010 5:28:51 AM EDT
[#24]
The gen 4 G22/G23 are solid reliable guns. It's the 9mm's that have issues.
9mm go with gen 3
.40 go with a gen 4

Link Posted: 10/19/2010 6:38:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
9mm go with gen 3
.40 go with a gen 4

No issues at all with my gen 4 19, 1K rounds already and mostly wolf.
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 9:16:53 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

9mm go with gen 3

.40 go with a gen 4

The 9mm issues (which were mostly shooter related) were fixed a couple months after release.

Link Posted: 10/19/2010 10:18:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Yeah yeah.... sure they were......  If they work for you, great, I know I won't trust them in 9mm. And that is from my experience.
But that's not what this thread is about, it's about the .40's & those I trust my life on.

Link Posted: 10/19/2010 11:13:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Took my new Gen4 G23 to the range for the first time last night. Only got 200+/- rounds in before it got dark but the weapon ran smooth as silk with nary a hickup. And yes, I just used "nary" in a sentence. For what it's worth the TLR-1 on the front caused no issues, so hopefully between the Gen4 tweaks and the most current mags the light issues are history.

I crapped all over the Gen4's when they first came out but I have to eat crow. The grip was great. While it still has "the hump" I can reach the trigger without having to adjust my grip (which has resulted in many dollars of grip reductions). Even with my tiny clown fingers it was comfortable and left me with no new blisters as sometimes is the case with a new one (for me anyway).

One of the mags didn't want to drop free. Will give it another range trip before getting the sandpaper out.

Going to use it at a 3 day training class this weekend. When/if it survives that I'll put it in the carry rotation/night stand rotation and put the two currently there back in the gun cabinet for now.

Thanks for the info I will be picking mine up on Saturday may I ask what ammo you used ? And please update me with how it performs in the class thanks I will update with pics and range report on Saturday.
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 12:27:29 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Yeah yeah.... sure they were......  If they work for you, great, I know I won't trust them in 9mm. And that is from my experience.

But that's not what this thread is about, it's about the .40's & those I trust my life on.

What is your experience?

Link Posted: 10/19/2010 3:13:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the info I will be picking mine up on Saturday may I ask what ammo you used ? And please update me with how it performs in the class thanks I will update with pics and range report on Saturday.

Was using Wally World Federal 180grns. Nothing special. Probably some WWB in there too. I have a .30cal ammo can I use for my range ammo. Rounds are loose and tend to get mixed up.

Either way, it was plain old stuff.

Link Posted: 10/20/2010 3:58:39 PM EDT
[#31]
glocks a glock I ran into the same problem this month but minies was gen4 gen3 or the rtf I ended up going with the gen 3 od love it dont regret it plus its different gun the recoil spring is defferent and the frame is just remember this how I decided I went to the gun shop and held it 100 times but once you go ruff texture you can never go back just have to put a rubber grip on it if its to ruff if you carry insid the waist it would ruffin you up a little so I went with the glock 23 od gen3 which they dont manufacture any more I got my hands on a brand new one take care stay safe EDC 24/7
Link Posted: 10/20/2010 6:56:31 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

glocks a glock I ran into the same problem this month but minies was gen4 gen3 or the rtf I ended up going with the gen 3 od love it dont regret it plus its different gun the recoil spring is defferent and the frame is just remember this how I decided I went to the gun shop and held it 100 times but once you go ruff texture you can never go back just have to put a rubber grip on it if its to ruff if you carry insid the waist it would ruffin you up a little so I went with the glock 23 od gen3 which they dont manufacture any more I got my hands on a brand new one take care stay safe EDC 24/7

Welcome to the site milt.

Paragraphs, capitalizing, and punctuation won't cause you any permanent harm...I promise.

But it would really make it easier for us to read your post.

Thanks
Quoted:

A Glock is a Glock.

I ran into the same problem this month. But mine was [deciding]
gen4, gen3, or the rtf.

I ended up going with the gen 3 od and love it. I don't
regret it plus it's a different gun. The recoil spring is different and the
frame is <huh?> just remember this how I decided.

I went to the gun shop and
held it 100 times.<really?>

But once you go ruff texture you can never go back. Just have to put a rubber grip on it if it's to rough. If you carry inside
the waist it would rough you up a little.

So I went with the glock 23 od
gen3 which they don't manufacture any more.

I got my hands on a brand new
one.

Take care stay safe,

EDC 24/7

Glad you got the pistol you wanted good luck and have fun with it.

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 9:25:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted: Thanks for the info I will be picking mine up on Saturday may I ask what ammo you used ? And please update me with how it performs in the class thanks I will update with pics and range report on Saturday.

Gen4 23 preformed flawlessly through 600 to 700 rounds. It was a pretty light shooting class, and the shooting occurred on two different days. None the less, even with a TLR-1 attached, the gun never hiccuped. I only wish the operator wasn't a dumbass and didn't overgrip leading to all sorts of aim issues. But that's a different matter.

Between that class and a couple range trips I'm sold on the Gen4 23's. Texture didn't bother me a bit, and I could actually reach the trigger. I didn't get the blister on my thumb I sometimes get using non-grip reduction Glocks because I'm forced into shifting my grip to reach the trigger.

Now I just need to find a source for the most current model of mags (the ones that came with the gun) so I can start stocking up on those. The three that came with the gun aren't going to cut it forever.

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 10:47:51 AM EDT
[#34]
OP- Any new, commercial mfg ammo (WWB, Blazer, AE, Federal, Speer) should be GTG in your Gen 4 G23.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 10:23:44 AM EDT
[#35]
NEW GLOCK 23 GEN 4 200rds and counting and haven't cleaned it yet.  No issues to date.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top