Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/7/2010 7:26:39 AM EDT
I have often asked myself, is my spending on CCW weapon, carry rigs and clothing an intelligent expenditure? Then along comes another work place shooting. The Conn. beer distribution center workplace  shooting again re-confirms my belief that my life and family dependence on me, requires I provide the means in which to protect myself if allowed by law.Situations of violence at the work place are rare but in todays lousy economy most of us have family members hurting from this rotten economy and people are going to explode occasionally. Thank goodness most people do not carry that ugly chip on their shoulder and are not looking for an excuse for pay back. Keep shooting, keep voting and see you at the ballot box in November. Your one vote does count.
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:33:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Personally I cannot put a value on the life of family, friends, and myself. In the highly unlucky situation I will ever have to use my CCW, I would be glad I have it and spent the money. To me its an extra layer of insurance, you pay for car insurance don't you? Just my opinion and its worth what it costs.
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:44:55 AM EDT
[#2]
IMO the necessity to obtain a permit to exercise a right is absurd and a violation of the 2A, that being said yes I would carry
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 8:36:25 AM EDT
[#3]
This has me wondering too, my workplace has a no weapons policy but I'm thinking I should be ignoring it.

The management changed a little over a year ago at least 10% of the employees have been fired for one reason or another and I know at least one of those fired is less than stable

Link Posted: 8/7/2010 9:47:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I think it's absolutely worth the cost/expense to CCW. Myself, especially––I've locked a lot of violent felons up over the last few years, and now I'm dealing with them on the back end with probation and parole. What's to stop one of those felons from attacking me for retribution?

And for those who might say, "Oh, that's not very likely to happen." Bullshit. I live in a small, rural town where everyone knows everyone, especially the cops. I know other local cops who have been confronted off-duty by those they have arrested previously.

Even for a normal person, that guy you accidentally cut off five minutes ago could be the one running up to your window with a baseball bat right now. Or the guy you bumped into in a store is nearly as likely to accost you as he is to turn the other cheek and take the action for what it was.

Society today places less and less importance on the sanctity of life. People are more angry and frustrated than ever, and there are more violent criminals walking the streets than ever. If there ever was a good time to CCW, now is that time.
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 10:31:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Still WAY cheaper than the cost of a new (or even a slightly used) coffin.
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 11:59:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That could be a new answer to the all-important question of "Why do you carry?"

"Because it's cheaper than a coffin."

I like it!
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 12:42:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That could be a new answer to the all-important question of "Why do you carry?"

"Because it's cheaper than a coffin."

I like it!

+1
lol I'll add it to the: "Because a cop is too heavy to carry" and "because I'd rather have it and not need it..."
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 2:05:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Why do I carry ?
Because it's my responsibility to protect my wife and children at all times .
Can you imagine being in some situation where your family members were hurt and you were helpless because you did not have a gun ? I don't know about you but I don't want that on my shoulders .

cops are too heavy

and my new favorite .................It's cheaper than a coffin .
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 2:05:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Fuckin' barely! Shit's expensive. Weapon(s)/holster(s)/mags/ammo/King's bribery/classes/new clothes/and on, and on, and on...

But when some 'banger is stabbing the shit out of you with a screwdriver in a Wal-Mart parking lot, it'll be worth it.

Link Posted: 8/7/2010 2:11:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Sometimes there is nothing more expensive then doing nothing until something happens.

Link Posted: 8/7/2010 2:14:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Because I choose to.
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 2:53:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 3:00:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Are you serious about the expense?  Most of us here go overboard, God knows I do, but it's not necessary.  But to boil it down to a bare minimum you're talking a pistol, a couple of spare magazines, holster, belt, $500 in ammo and maybe another $1k in training.

All together you're looking at an investment of between 2 and 3 thousand, and it will last you many, many years.

Find any other life saving device that takes an investment that small and spreads it out over 20+ years.
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 4:14:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Gun, mag, holster, belt & ammo are things I would buy anyways because shooting is fun. Training classes is something I'd do anyways again because its fun and is nice to have skills.

So at the end of the day the only thing I'm really spending money on is the actual permit, which is $100 for 4 years. TBH I can handle $25 a year for the peace of mind it brings to always have a gun.
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 5:20:55 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm a Marine. I swore to defend my country against the wrong-godded hordes of mohammedins a few years after 9/11. I'm always a Marine, 24/7. I may not wear the uniform all the time (I am a reservist), but nonetheless, I am still a warrior. I carry a pistol to that end, not just for my own self-preservation, but for those around me. I find it immoral and cowardly to abandon others to the mercy of wolves when I am perfectly capable of aiding them. This sums up my thoughts:

I am a sheepdog. I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf.

Yes, I can justify the expense.

Link Posted: 8/8/2010 1:48:49 PM EDT
[#16]
My workplace had a No Gun policy on company property…

When they started doing layoffs, I carried! Stopped after things were settled down.

$140 for the gun (.22 LR NAA)
$5 for lots of ammo
$35 for CCW

Total = Priceless!
Link Posted: 8/8/2010 5:25:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Are you serious about the expense? Most of us here go overboard, God knows I do, but it's not necessary.  But to boil it down to a bare minimum you're talking a pistol, a couple of spare magazines, holster, belt, $500 in ammo and maybe another $1k in training.

All together you're looking at an investment of between 2 and 3 thousand, and it will last you many, many years.

Find any other life saving device that takes an investment that small and spreads it out over 20+ years.

+1 ..... but it's a good thing!

Being a college student I was able to get started carrying for:
$470 gun
$50 used MTAC
$100 permit fees & req class
$300 9mm ammo (500rd practice + 500rds carry)
$45 spare mags
$70 light
$35 mag/light carrier__________________
$1070 total not including time & gas to go practice

Add $500 for some quality training and the ammo to go with it plus $75 for a gunbelt if necessary and there's no reason anyone NEEDS to spend over $2k even if they want to carry an HK.

Regardless, $1070 is a price I, a frugal economics major, am willing to pay for some peace of mind!
Link Posted: 8/8/2010 5:38:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Ask yourself what a weapon (and the skills to use it) would be worth to you when your life or the life of your family was in danger.  You can't put a dollar ammount on that....well, at least I can't.
Link Posted: 8/8/2010 9:10:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I think it's absolutely worth the cost/expense to CCW. Myself, especially––I've locked a lot of violent felons up over the last few years, and now I'm dealing with them on the back end with probation and parole. What's to stop one of those felons from attacking me for retribution?

And for those who might say, "Oh, that's not very likely to happen." Bullshit. I live in a small, rural town where everyone knows everyone, especially the cops. I know other local cops who have been confronted off-duty by those they have arrested previously.

Even for a normal person, that guy you accidentally cut off five minutes ago could be the one running up to your window with a baseball bat right now. Or the guy you bumped into in a store is nearly as likely to accost you as he is to turn the other cheek and take the action for what it was.

Society today places less and less importance on the sanctity of life. People are more angry and frustrated than ever, and there are more violent criminals walking the streets than ever. If there ever was a good time to CCW, now is that time.

+1 to this except living in a a small town. I've been approached off duty and its an uneasy feeling. I don't remember everyone but they sure in fuck remember me.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/8/2010 10:43:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have often asked myself, is my spending on CCW weapon, carry rigs and clothing an intelligent expenditure?

Wow, you actually ever asked yourself that, at any point?
Link Posted: 8/8/2010 11:10:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 to this except living in a a small town. I've been approached off duty and its an uneasy feeling. I don't remember everyone but they sure in fuck remember me.

+1  I'm no longer with my local SO due to an injury I am still recovering from. But about 6 weeks ago I dropped my truck off at the shop, walked across the street for some food.  I'm sitting there when 3 guys approach me because I arrested one for a warrant about a year ago. Lets just say that situation wouldve went alot differently if I didnt have my Glock on me.
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 2:49:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Intelligent expenditure you ask? Much cheaper than funerals.
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 4:50:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Sometimes there is nothing more expensive then doing nothing until something happens.
I try to get this point across to people as I'm selling insurance, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

Cheaper than a funeral isn't just money.  I've had to help my wife through loss of family three times in the last 6 years, most recently earlier this year in the loss of her dad.  The emotional devastation is so immense, I just couldn't in good conscience do anything less than what I can to keep that from happening again.
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 2:05:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
This has me wondering too, my workplace has a no weapons policy but I'm thinking I should be ignoring it.

The management changed a little over a year ago at least 10% of the employees have been fired for one reason or another and I know at least one of those fired is less than stable

Yeah, my company also has a no weapons policy, and MS does not have the law that allows you to keep it in your vehicle parked on company property either.

My employer is in the process of significant layoffs. I can always tell when they're going to let some people go that day because they have a security guard in the building on that day (armed, but garden variety Barney Fief flavor). Any other day security is nowhere to be seen.

It makes you think....
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 2:18:36 PM EDT
[#25]
More than half of my best friends carry now.

Even bought a friend his CHL class for his wedding gift.

Yes, there is the obvious reason of protecting ourselves, our loved ones, our property, and our rights.

The not so obvious reasons is non of us could live with the shame of having only one of us being armed if we were to all in the same place if something did happen.
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 3:39:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have often asked myself, is my spending on CCW weapon, carry rigs and clothing an intelligent expenditure?

Wow, you actually ever asked yourself that, at any point?

My question also... I've never questioned money I have spent on guns.
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 7:13:53 PM EDT
[#27]
I will have to say one of the things I have learned after carrying a gun for a couple years is that it is a lifestyle change to say the least. I committed to carrying 24/7 because I had seen others who chose to get their carry permit and only carry every now and then...guess what, they have their gun on them 0% of the time now. Carrying at first was fun/exciting/new/etc.... but then it can become inconvenient. I made myself make it a habit, and now after a couple years of carrying every single day it is just as normal as putting a belt on or grabbing my wallet every morning. As far as the expense, I don't think of it as a burden, it's just another extention of my hobby which is guns. I am an Eagle Scout and have been taught over and over again "Be Prepared" and it stuck with me. I feel I owe it to myself, my friends, etc... to be ready for whatever which is why I carry more than a gun

Honestly, ccw doesn't have to be expensive if you budget. There are plenty of good carry guns that are inexpensive. Make sure you can shoot the gun and hit what you are shooting every now and then and you won't be out much. You just have to decide if you want to take it on or not. I would only suggest it if you are going to be committed to carrying as much as you can otherwise it could be a waste of money.
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 6:31:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Justify carrying?

I bought all but one of my guns while living in Illinois. A quick update on IL law: no carry.

Now that I'm living in Indiana, the guns and equipment that I already had (except for the holster) are being put to use.

The only extra expenses have been carry ammo ($100), Crossbreed Supertuck (~$90) and $40 for a 4 year carry license.

Training is still on the list.

Link Posted: 8/10/2010 7:01:07 AM EDT
[#29]
I sell insurance and the average couple in my area with a couple of cars and a decent house will spend around $2,500 a year (+/- $500) to cover there home, two cars and any personal items that they want to insure.  They do it without thinking twice about it because it is how they protect there assets.  You put a price on your life or the life of your loved ones and tell me how hard it is to justify the expense of carrying.  It is really the same thing.  You are suppose to buy insurance and never use it just like you are supposed to get a concealed carry license and never use it.  Keep in mind that just because you aren't suppose to use it, that doesn't mean that you won't ever use it.  I can't justify not spending the money unless spending the money means you don't have money for the necessities like food and shelter.
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 5:52:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Bad things, happen to good people!

That is why I carry!!!!

PITA45
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 6:01:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Total waste of money.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2010 3:29:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Total waste of money.  

No kidding. Not like anything will ever happen, right Blitz

Link Posted: 8/11/2010 4:59:16 AM EDT
[#33]
I will (and have) spend THOUSANDS of dollars on guns, holsters, belts, permit renewals, TRAINING, etc. in my lifetime.

I will not die on my knees in a parking lot nor will I watch helplessly while someone harms my family. If by some small chance those situations do happen, I will forget all about the money and I will fight to win.
Link Posted: 8/11/2010 11:49:11 AM EDT
[#34]
I would do it if it cost 10x as much
Link Posted: 8/11/2010 12:53:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Presenting your CCW when some violent cretin threatens you or your family?  Priceless.
Link Posted: 8/11/2010 2:35:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Its 2010

I started in the 80`s

I do wonder sometimes why I cant carry at certian places

I should be able to pack anyplace I go period.
Ive held the CCW for 25+yrs now
Link Posted: 8/11/2010 2:55:29 PM EDT
[#37]
We talked about salary positions at church. I asked the Pastor if he thought his ass was worth as much as my soul.
Link Posted: 8/11/2010 5:22:58 PM EDT
[#38]
The life of my wife and child are priceless.
Link Posted: 8/11/2010 5:39:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
IMO the necessity to obtain a permit to exercise a right is absurd and a violation of the 2A, that being said yes I would carry

+1
Link Posted: 8/11/2010 6:15:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Also; any CCW costs are going to be cheaper than getting shot.

Me and Blitz know that fo sho.
Link Posted: 8/11/2010 7:21:13 PM EDT
[#41]
I carry because I am a free man and not a slave.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:07:58 AM EDT
[#42]
A couple days ago i'm sitting at my desk at work and a coworker comes over and is telling me his buddy just texted him and theres a guy with a gun in the building across the street from his. This was the Discovery building in Silver spring MD. saw the news that night and luckily no1 got hurt from the incident.

never know when its going to be you in that situation.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 1:51:26 PM EDT
[#43]
If it's not worth it to you then don't carry...it's as simple as that.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:53:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I followed blitz's story, but am unfamiliar with yours.

Care to share?

BTW - blitz - how are your hands doing?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:48:15 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Care to share?

It was an ND by a (now former) friend of mine, but it has awakened me to the fact that:

1. Getting shot is expensive (especially when you have no insurance)
2. Peace of mind is cheap
3. Practice off-hand shooting, drawing, one handed reloads, etc. because there is no way I could have done anything with my right arm.

I knew #2-3 before, and #1 is common sense but you don't realize until it happens to you. I'm about $48k in the hole now, I haven't tallied it up in a while but I know in the last couple months I've racked up over $4800 worth of therapy (thankfully it was free through a program at the hospital) trying to get my range of motion back so I can return to the police academy and become a sheriff's deputy like I wanted to. At first it made me second guess my choice of career and my ability to go towards an active shooter or something if I was in a position to stop them, but now I think it has made me realize I'll do exactly what I thought I would, which is whatever I can to stop the threat.

Couple pics:

2 ft away, Ranger SXT 9mm (127gr +P+) from a Glock 19
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:06:25 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Care to share?

Doing better.  The good days far outweigh the bad.  Some stiffness and soreness with the changing weather or with heavy use.  Hurts like a mother when I catch the ring finger on something due to the lag, especially when it involves lateral movement, but by God I'm still here.  

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:57:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Care to share?

Doing better.  The good days far outweigh the bad.  Some stiffness and soreness with the changing weather or with heavy use.  Hurts like a mother when I catch the ring finger on something due to the lag, especially when it involves lateral movement, but by God I'm still here.  

Any update on the shitbag?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:50:20 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Care to share?

Any update on the shitbag?

Don't want to hijack the thread much more but his trial is on Monday.  Physically, I haven't heard.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:15:33 PM EDT
[#49]
why do I carry -
      because when seconds count, the police are just minutes away!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:49:05 PM EDT
[#50]
you know everyone says "im in a small town, i dont need to carry". well many of you know Im in Fargo, ND where there isnt alot of crime but the drugs here are getting worse. Has gotten very bad in the last few years, so i know the violence is right around the corner. If you see me, youll know Im armed. And the price of a good reliable gun and training is nothing compared to the peace of mind i get
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top