Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2003 7:09:06 AM EDT
I currently carry a Kimber TLE as a primary weapon.  Since I already have a Glock 19 I plan to carry it as a backup.  The problem is that I need a holster to carry it in.  I use a strong side leather belt holster for my primary weapon, what should I try for the back up?
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 8:47:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Ankle?
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 9:40:29 AM EDT
[#2]
kinda hardcore..but I'll bite.
Small of back
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 4:21:48 PM EDT
[#3]
ankle, i think is going to be to bulky.  a little hard core yes but i don't have $ available for a smaller gun.  SOB would work, but if i was to fall on my back i could not get to it if need be.  so far i think i will go with a SOB unless i or someone else can think of a better option.  thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 9:02:14 AM EDT
[#4]
A G19 seems a little large for a backup, maybe a snub revolver or G26 would better suit the purpose.In any case, ma Smartcarry holster might work.I carried a P-99 in one and it wasn't uncomfortable.You could also try an IWB crossdraw which would still allow drawing from either arm.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 9:24:44 AM EDT
[#5]
For that big of a gun, I'd carry the back-up at the 8 o'clock position.
Don't know where you're going to carry spare mags. Carrying the Glock AND the 1911 is a little over-kill, where you going? Bagdad? Or worse, DC?
Maybe you could carry spares in an ankle rig.

-Steve
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 6:35:02 PM EDT
[#6]
thanks for the help. an iwb atthe 8 o clock will probably work.  with the 1911 i carry right now i need a back up.  My TLE is having feed problems.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 6:36:01 PM EDT
[#7]
thanks for the help. an iwb atthe 8 o clock will probably work.  with the 1911 i carry right now i need a back up.  My TLE is having feed problems.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 9:21:25 PM EDT
[#8]

My TLE is having feed problems.

If your carry gun is having feed problems, you sure as hell should be leaving it at home until it's fixed.It could cost you your life if you're ever put in a SD situation.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 12:19:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Avoid small of the back holsters.  You get knocked on your back during a fight (weapons involved or not) and fall on that piece of steel resting on your spine you are in for some new and interesting developments.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 10:58:35 AM EDT
[#10]
A good location for a backup that size would be something like "Thunderwear".

It goes under your pants and is totally concealed,  even with no shirt on.  The draw isn't the fastest but again,  it's your backup,  an ankle holster sucks to draw from too.  Oh yah, and you can't wear shorts either.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 6:56:50 PM EDT
[#11]
currently i am thinking of a crossdraw iwb for the backup.  any opinions one way or another?
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 8:59:41 AM EDT
[#12]
A kimber that is having problems say it ain't so.  Wait till you try to get Kimber to do anything about it.  Tell all the dicks in Customer Service I said Hi.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 9:08:28 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

My TLE is having feed problems.

If your carry gun is having feed problems, you sure as hell should be leaving it at home until it's fixed.It could cost you your life if you're ever put in a SD situation.

A backup to a malfunctioning primary? You need a 100% good ole fashion butt kicking to get your priorities in order
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 11:58:01 AM EDT
[#14]
I have quit carrying the kimber until I get it fixed.  Now I alternate between a Glock 19 and USP 45.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 7:15:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Well, I have came under the same dilemma.  

I carry a Kimber CDP Pro for the primary, and yet to have a backup.  SO, I went shopping yesterday for Glocks.  I found the G36 to be the same size as the G19. I cop buddy of mine has no problem carrying his G36 in an ankle holster on duty.  I found that the G19 points better than the G36.  The G36 is a little more awkward feeling.  It seems the back end wants to present before the front end.    

I also looked at the S&W 2" featherweights.  I think they would be awful with recoil and they cost more than a G19 or G36.    
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 8:59:27 AM EDT
[#16]
As soon as I find the perfect holster I will let you know.  If you find one first let me know please.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 10:41:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Nate;

Try a bellyband...get a good quality one...Bianchi used to make one...and leave the shirt tail out with the bottom button undone. Draw by grabbing the shirt tail and yanking up high enough so that you do not get any shirt along with your grip. (If you do, when you run out of shirt, the gun is gonna go to the ground...very embarassing!)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top