Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/3/2008 12:46:02 PM EDT
I carry a glock 19 and am about to get a Ruger LCP for pocket carry.

I chose the glock 19 because it fit my hand, had a good amount of ammo, was light, and was really good for the money compared to other pistols.

I am thinking about the Ruger LCP becuase the .380 is more powerful than the 32 and will fit nicely in my pocket.

How about your carry handgun?
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 1:06:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Beretta M9

What I used in the MIL

Very comfortable and confident in my ability with it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 2:05:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I chose 9mm, because it is capable, higher capacity and easier to control.

And I chose the HK USP Compact because....

1. Compact, so I could carry it. Not to say it's more compact than others, just over the Full Size.

2. Because I shot it as well as I did the Glocks, Sigs, etc. that I tried.

3. Because I was pretty sure I wanted a safety, but liked the option of changing it if I changed my mind. I could make it DAO, Cocked and Locked, DA/SA, or a lighter consistent pull like a Glock (among other options).

4. Stainless Steel so I wouldn't have finish wear from the holster.
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 2:08:57 PM EDT
[#3]
S&W 442 .38 Spl

Because it was closest to me when I was getting dressed this morning.
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 2:16:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Sig 229R (40S&W).  Loved it the first time I shot it.  The size for me is just right - not too big, not too small.  It's easy for me to conceal.  I went with the 40 cal. because I like punch and controllability.
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 2:31:14 PM EDT
[#5]

It was so long ago I forgot.

Now I remember.  I started out with a POS Ruger.  Junk of the highest order.

Then a Rossi M677 snubby.  I'm a lefty, so speed loaders didn't work well for me.  Didn't like the blast and noise.  Didn't work well for IWB carry.  Decent reliable gun.  Not a good fit for me.

Then I found this;

LW Franken-Colt Commander.  Been carrying it since 1998.  I have other guns I use in limited situations, but the Commander is the best all-around carry gun IMHO.

This is my opinion.  Your opinion may vary.

ZM
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 3:39:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I carry a Dan Wesson Commander, and a S&W 642 as my bug. I picked the 1911 because it fits my hand so well, and I just shoot better with them then anything else. The 642 is well a 642, it's hard to beat for a bug/pocket rocket.

Link Posted: 7/3/2008 4:00:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Got a 1911 first because of it's historical value, most of my male relitives carried one in 'nam. I've tried a lot of different guns over the years. Right now I mostly carry a Glock (because of the reliability, wich I verified by firing 3,000 rounds through my G26 straight from the box over 2 days without cleaning and zero malfs) my backup is a S&W 642 for times when I can't carry anything bigger. I chose it based on S&W quality, the size, weight and caliber and reliability of a wheel gun.

I just bought a G17 for winter carry mostly because of the fact that I can put a light on it for night hunting and be able to get holsters for the combo.

ETA: just re-read title, you asked about caliber: 9mm and .38spec both because ammo is cheap and sold ANYWHERE. I own three 45s but they are to expensive to shoot and I didn't want to get a Glock in 40 because I already owned a taurus 9mm, so this way I have 3 9mms that can share the same stockpile of ammo.
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 4:47:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I chose to carry a .45acp because no matter what, it leaves a half inch hole in and atleast a half inch hole out.  When the SHTF, I want every advantage I can get.  I may only get 1 chance to save my life.  I want it to count BIG!

I practice controlled pairs and muzzle control all the time, it works (I hope) for me.

Link Posted: 7/3/2008 7:13:31 PM EDT
[#9]
1911's fit me best. I like them, and they in turn like me -  I am by far a better shot with my 1911s than anything else I've shot.

I recently picked up a Smith J-Frame to serve as a secondary or BUG carry. Liking it a lot thus far. Picked it up due to size (including feel) and relibility, which were the two paramount features I was looking at in a secondary piece.

Caliber was barely considered; as long as it suffices as a defensive round (i.e., .380 at a bare minium, preferable above), and I can readily get defensive HP loadings, it's fine by me. My carry calibers (.45ACP and .38+P) were decided by my platforms of choice.

Capacity was a non-issue for me.
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 8:27:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Glock 19.

- Small size but not too small to be uncomfortable.
- Lightweight.
- Ultra-Reliable.
- 9mm is easy to control with quick shots.
- 9mm is effective with good JHP Rounds.
- Decent priced ammo for practice.
- I already have one 9mm and had a few hundred rounds for it. Saves me having to stock up on another caliber of ammo.
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 9:27:26 PM EDT
[#11]
G36 in .45ACP is my largest CCW that I carry regulary.  I like it b/c it's the same size as the 19, but with a much more powerful round, allbeit few shot capacity.

My 2nd in line is my S&W 340 SS in .357 magnum.  Smaller than the G36/19, and even yet more powerful, but once again fewer shot capacity (5 rounds without a spare)

Lastly is my KelTec P3AT, AKA the Ruger LCP.  Same gun.  It's my 'better than carrying nothing' gun when my clothes makes the others seem a little to much.  I'm talking real light and thin for those occassional times when that's all I want to carry.
Link Posted: 7/4/2008 3:02:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Glock 19

-Reliability
-Small enough to carry, big enough to shoot all day and train with comfortably
-Ammo cost = train more
-Capacity
Link Posted: 7/4/2008 3:21:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/4/2008 3:35:40 PM EDT
[#14]
I picked a Glock 17 in 9mm as my primary carry for the reasons below
1 reliability, must go bang EVERY time, I have dropped it, smacked it into doors and generally treated it like the tool it is and it still works.
2 accuracy, I can hit a person on the draw out to 25 yards in less than 2 seconds, even faster at closer range
3 ergonomics chamber a round and go bang 18 times, no safety to manipulate, no complex manual of arms
4 firepower, 18 rounds is enough to finish anything I could forsee being involved in
5 simplicity I can work on it with a nail! That is my glock takedown tool.
6 common I can find ammunition and accessories anywhere. One of my many rules for a carry gun is I must be able to find ammunition in any state I can see myself visiting in any place that sells any ammunition.

Link Posted: 7/4/2008 5:37:57 PM EDT
[#15]
I chose a S&W 6906 9mm cause I already had it (excellent weapon, by the way.)
Then I chose a G23 cause I wanted it .
Then I got a S&W 642 cause I needed it. (it's great for me in the summer months when my wardrobe isn't condusive to EASILY carrying anything larger on a consistent basis.)
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 4:02:32 PM EDT
[#16]
i liked what i saw on the XD45 Service so i bought it.  a year later i got my CHL.  so i started carrying the big XD.  rarely i will carry a snubbie, but prefer to carry the 45.
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 5:44:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Is it a .45 - check
is it a 1911 - check

What else is there?

Ok, my current carry weapon is a Kimber ultra,a nd I picked it because it was about 10 oz lighter than my steel frame officer, plus it had dovetail sights, which means I could add night sights without requiring the services of a machinist.
Link Posted: 7/8/2008 8:35:37 AM EDT
[#18]
I started carrying a G30 .45 because I'm a big .45 fan and was frequently apart from my wife. Then summer came and I began to see the usefulness of a KelTec .380 . Then I took a job at my wife's company, which is a no-gun kinda corporate place and, combined with the fact that the Glock's grips were too wide for my wife to maintain a steady grip after the first 3 rounds or so, I downsized to a G26 9mm, often in off-body carry mode depending on circumstances.

So... KelTec P3AT (with one of the below in off-body carry) because I get mostly naked in the summer when I'm not working and would be fired in a heartbeat if caught with a gun (or half-naked, for that matter) when I am working. G26 9mm when I'm wearing a shirt and with my wife because it hides well and my wife can control it easily if I'm out of the fight. G19 when I'm wearing a jacket and with my wife (same reasons above). G30 when I'm wearing a jacket and by myself.
Link Posted: 7/8/2008 9:45:29 PM EDT
[#19]
I sometimes carry a 380, 38 special, 357, 9mm and 40 S&W... variety of life makes it worth living.  All guns a DAO so no safeties to worry about.  I generally carry two guns so a pocket gun weak side and full size gun on strong side plus extra ammo.
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 2:11:34 PM EDT
[#20]
I didn't want to have to pick so I bought a bunch of them. P3AT, 340PD, PM9, G27, P239, G19, USPc.45, SA 1911, 92FS, & G21SF w/ light.  I've got a pair of guns for practically any occasion.
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 4:24:58 PM EDT
[#21]
G26 with extension in a comptac c-tac:

Because it packs 11 HSTs
Because the ctac is the best and most concealable holster out.
Because the G26 is super small
Because the glock is dependable
Because i can practice more due to price of ammo
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 7:54:58 PM EDT
[#22]
I choose the G32 because I couldn't decide between the 9mm and the .40S&W.Seemed logical.
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 9:07:33 PM EDT
[#23]
I went with the Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm at first because I liked the feel of it more then the springfield xd and glock. I did a good amount of research first and it came down to all 3 being about the same so I went with feel. I went with the 9mm because I was talking into that by my father and stepfather because of the cheaper ammo over the 40.

Ended up picking up the XD in the 5 inch 40. Carry that from time to time. Prefer the 40 over the 9mm and the 45 although I wish I had picked up the M&P in it. When I went to get the 40 I just couldn't bring myself to getting pretty much the same gun I already had.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 2:52:21 PM EDT
[#24]
I carry a G23 everyday I can carry and a Keltec P32 when I can't carry.  I picked the G23 when I first decided to purchase a handgun.  I rationalized mag capacity and knockdown power.  If I had to do it over again I'd probably get a G19.  Knowing that premium carry ammo technology has soared in the last couple years the difference between 9mm, .40, and .45 are negligible.  

I have no probably firing off all 14 rounds of my G23 rapidly into a 12 inch steel plate at 15 yards, but I'd go with the G19 for the extra capacity.  Not going to claim I've been in a SHTF situation (knock, knock), but I want as many rounds as possible in a platform I trust.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 3:10:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Kahr CW9

1. Super reliable
2. Small enough to carry but still fits my hands well.
3. Price... at the time, it was on sale.
4. Its American made.

Im also after a Ruger LCP.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 4:05:25 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Kahr CW9

1. Super reliable
2. Small enough to carry but still fits my hands well.
3. Price... at the time, it was on sale.
4. Its American made.

Im also after a Ruger LCP.

You might want to wait for the Kahr P380.  You're obviously a Kahr fan...

www.kahr.com/PA-1_380_p.html
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 1:21:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Taurus PT111 Pro 9mm for everyday carry(office/work clothes), and a Taurus PT24/7 Pro in .40 for more "fullsize-friendly" outfits. (Loose, untucked shirt, etc.)

The .40 was my first handgun, but a bit to big for all-purpose CCW, IMO. I got the little PT111 and loved it. It fits perfectly in my back, doesn't print at all in my C-Tac, it's cheap to practice with, and super controllable. All-around, it's been a great gun, and I would never hesitate to recommend it to anyone looking for an affordable, reliable CCW piece.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 1:43:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks all.

I want to carry a 1911 commander size but I want to do it right.  I want an Ed Brown Kobra Karry but I don't have the cash.  Someday I will, though.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 11:15:33 PM EDT
[#29]
I have always been a fan of carrying the biggest, fastest bullet I can control. That said my choices are the .44 Spl, .44 Mag, 10mm and .40 S&W. I own at least one gun in each and, except for the .44 Mag (no proper holster) carry them as CCW.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:19:01 AM EDT
[#30]
My Glock20(10mm) ate thousands and thousands of reloads without a hitch so the Glock proved to be reliable. I wanted to stick with 10mm for reloading purposes but the 29(10mm) was a bit big yet so I went with the 27(.40 s&w) instead and I can still use the same bullets and dies.

Reliability, reload-ability and size(thickness mainly)
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:01:06 AM EDT
[#31]
I started off with a g23 then g26 then charter arms bulldog and yet then ktp11 and now to the p3at+naa22lr. my choice has been whittled down to the lightest carry rig that I can carry all day. That said I also have severe back problems and have been at my job which I love for 15yrs. Its physically demanding sometimes almost too much for my back and with some of the compacts and subconpacts I couldnt keep em on me. So p3at and my lil 22naa have been working great and I dont even notice the added weight.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:42:51 AM EDT
[#32]
I decided by trying out several. I own several calibers , but regularly carry 9mm and .38spl.

I knew I wanted a Glock. A good friend of mine shoots .40 and another shoots 9mm - both mid sized Glocks. So I tried them both on many occasions and made my decision based on what I shoot better. Ammo cost and capacity helped sway me , but weren't the decision maker. I can shoot .40 , .45 and other practical calibers well too , but I can follow-up with the 9mm much better.

.38 was easy. I wanted a "pocket gun" and simply won't shoot tiny little , automatic mouse-guns in anemic calibers - including .380. Friends don't let friends carry mouse guns. .357 is too much in a J-frame for me - forget getting a second shot on target - and have you ever fired a .357 j-frame with no ear pro? Don't.

S&W 442 , G19 , G26.   I feel fine with those choices.

-JC
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:07:02 PM EDT
[#33]
I carry a XD45 ACP. service model.  I carried a XD9 service model for serveral years before the .45 came out.

I feel comfortably protected with either one. Bigger is generally better though. I have three 1911s so it was that big a deal to add the XD45 when they came out.

Of course I have a SP101 .357 mag sitting here as I write this so sometimes it just depends.

Over the years I have carried the following: Colt Detective .38, Ruger SP101 .357 mag (have two of them), Colt Python (that I wish I'd never sold), Back to SP101, S&W Model 13 & 28, Back to SP101 (this was the second one I bought), XD9 Service, XD9SC, and now XD45. That's starting out in 1988 to date. I have carried IWB for the most part. Had a should rig for the Python (it went with the gun). Also OWB and I use a smartcarry with the SP and XD9SC.

Depending on where and what clothes I HAVE wear I switch off between the SP, XD9SC and XD45. Also under the same criteria I switch between IWB, OWB and smartcarry. The XD45 is always IWB, SP OWB or smartcarry, XD9SC IWB or smartcarry.
Link Posted: 7/26/2008 6:02:01 PM EDT
[#34]
I love the m1911a1 design. It is what I had in the service. I am comfortable with it and she loves me back. My carry weapon is a Kimber Pro-carry II in .45ACP. Why because I like being able to send .45 in of lead to the bad guys chest. 9mm may expand, but 45 is always 45
Link Posted: 7/26/2008 7:04:31 PM EDT
[#35]
I have to go with the G23. It has the best combination of compact size, light weight, high capacity, absolute reliability, astonishing durability, and proven lethality of any combat handgun going, bar none.

Link Posted: 7/28/2008 5:51:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Glock 20

I bought it as a "out in the boonies pistol" and CCW'd for a week just for kicks.  Turns out it's no more difficult to conceal than my USP compact.  

15+1 rounds of 10mm is really about all you could ask for in handheld firepower.

I might get a G29 for biking/jogging.
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 9:48:33 PM EDT
[#37]
My current choice is from first hand experience of seeing minor calibers fail to get the job done and first hand experience of seeing tiny, cheap guns fail before getting a shot off.
Link Posted: 7/31/2008 10:19:38 PM EDT
[#38]
I carry a Glock 32 (.357 SIG).

I picked .357 SIG because of the combination of ballistics/performance and capacity (13+1).  Also, its design could/should be a little more reliable to feed, due to the necked down case.

I used to carry a SIG 229 in .357, but switched to Glock because although equally reliable and accurate, it is a good deal lighter than the SIG.  Just remember when choosing the gun to carry, the #1 consideration is reliability.  Everything else is open to personal preference.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top