Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2008 10:21:27 PM EDT
What is it like to switch your carry side on a concealed handgun?
Anyone done it and how long did it take before you felt comfortable with it?
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 6:48:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Why?
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 6:56:40 AM EDT
[#2]
i've tried it...but didnt switch--i'm still slow on weak hand shooting

FWIW: it was a left handed CTAC and 1911
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 7:19:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I have allways wanted to carry that way because I spend a good amount of time driving in my car.

Its just easier to draw from that side vs on your strong hand side, plus, for whatever reason, I like the idea of the butt facing towards the front as it would make it just a little bit more akward for someone to pull it from me.

I know that is flawed thinking, but it would make me feel more comfortable for whatever that is worth.
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 11:56:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm a lefty, and sometimes carry a Sig P232 in a right hand holster. I bought it  because left hand choices are limited when you buy off the shelf.

Growing up in a right-handed world, I learned to be somewhat ambidextrous, and I shoot ok off handed, and it's not uncomfortable. But as Alphaghost stated, I am slower, so I don't make it a habit.

a-bare
Link Posted: 5/28/2008 2:11:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah i've carried cross draw style if that is what you are asking. I am actually more comfortable with this style carry. However it doesn't conceal as well since my weapon was more in front of me.
Link Posted: 5/28/2008 4:28:28 PM EDT
[#6]
i think carrying on the 'weak' side with a crossdraw-oriented holster would have some merit especially if you spend a lot of time driving or possibly for sitting at a desk.  

ETA: in a perfect world we would all train to the point of total ambidexterity and switch sides everyday!
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:27:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm trying it for the simple reason I've been riding shotgun in the car with my wife, letting her drive due to some medical issues.
I'm left handed so the seat belt screws me up on presentation in the car.
I worked on it some today at the range and it seems to be working out for me.
I'm somewhat ambidextrous anyway.
Thanks for your comments, guys.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:29:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I carry my BUG in a left handed apendix holster. I'm ambi
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:11:56 PM EDT
[#9]

I'm an ambi, sort of.  Handgun left, rifle right.  

Last year, I injured my left arm and was forced to carry right-handed for a couple of months.  I'm not going to challenge Todd Jarrett but I can hold my own right handed.  

I practice weak-handed drills from time to time so it wasn't that much of a big deal.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:19:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I carry "cross-draw" if I am going to do a lot of getting in and out of my car or if I am going to do a lot of driving.  For me it's just more comfortable not having that holster pushing into back when I am sitting.  It's also easier to get to my pistol if I needed to draw my weapon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top