Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2007 5:23:16 AM EDT
It appears that most people who carry also have some type of chemical spray. What type do you recommend? What worked well for you? Several policemen have told me that it doesn't work on everyone all the time but I don't know what type they carry. Thanks in advance for your help.
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 6:33:30 AM EDT
[#1]
FOX
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 8:49:33 AM EDT
[#2]
OC works better than Mace/Chem spray.  Works on dogs, too.
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 10:25:37 AM EDT
[#3]

I use Saber Red at work. So far knocks them down every time.
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 10:48:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Pretty much anything that is OC is good, Mace works too but I have heard its kinda weak, be sure to check your local laws on any type of chemical agent, I use FOX I have a 16ox riot size fogger a 4oz can and a 3oz can that I keep in my work pants the others stay in the car or on my belt, I used the 4oz can on a guy and it only took about a 3rd of a second of spraying and he was down for the count!!
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 10:59:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Freeze +P
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 6:46:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I hosed many (50+ over 5 years) people with OC when I was doing security. OC is very variable in it's effect. Most people will find a dose in the face disabling. Some people will be taken out by splatter from 20' away. Yet others won't feel it at all. One 'gentleman' I used OC on became more irate because the spray was dripping off his face and onto his party shirt.

He was dissuaded from further assaultive behavior by the application of a baton to the leg. I only ever had 1 guy who still wanted to fight after getting hit in the legs with the baton.

Carry OC if you want, but it isn't a magic wand. BSW
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 7:43:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
FOX

Word.
Link Posted: 11/22/2007 7:53:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
FOX

Word.

+1
Link Posted: 11/23/2007 2:33:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Would you guys recommend a flip or a cop- top.
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 8:21:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:46:33 AM EDT
[#11]
height=8
Quoted:
Freeze +P

Agree on the Freeze +P.  That was our duty carry.  I can give you a first hand account of what that will do.  I got sprayed in training.  After a hit with that stuff, I was pretty much done.

We recently changed to a DefTec product.  So far I'm not impressed.  It was more of an annoyance rather than a stopping agent.  I also noticed that with the DefTec, you must hit the subject directly in the eyes to see any results.  With the Freeze +P, all you have to do is get it close.

I've also seen both of these in action on the street.  Freeze +P is superior in my view.

As far as it not working on everyone... I've seen one person not be affected by the Freeze +P.  Direct hit to the eyes and nose and the only effect was a case of the sniffles.  The guy actually asked, "What's this stuff supposed to do?"  Thankfully this was in training and he's on our side.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top