Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2006 7:52:13 AM EDT

Legitimate carry option or danger?

swiped from the clipdraw webpage
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:13:42 AM EDT
[#1]
They will not maintain the gun in a consistent location or angle.

Pass.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:22:03 AM EDT
[#2]
They also don't protect the trigger on a Glock....bad news.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:38:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I've used them before on a number of different guns.  It is a viable option for carry.  Might not be the best, depending on your circumstances, but it does provide a secure mounting point on the waist.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:43:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:45:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Not legal in GA either.

And a Glock IWB without a holster??  Puh-leese.  NO way.

Quoted:
Agree with PAEBR332 and bnorman.  I'm not impressed.

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 12:16:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Tried 1 ONCE on my J-frame in public. After a quick, careful visit to the bathroom with my arm clamped to my side so as to keep the pistol from falling out on the floor, it was removed and will NEVER find a place on my pistol ever again. I'd noticed that during the drive to the resturant that I had to reposition the pistol but didn't think too much of it...By the time I got inside and sat down, it had worked itself completely loose from my belt and out of my pant's waistband...I was very fortunate to notice and be able to lock my arm down and get to the bathroom...The alternative was that that nice shiny pistol would make a loud 'clunk' on the floor...not a good thing to contemplate.

IMHO it's a VERY overrated product. YMMV
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 12:59:23 PM EDT
[#7]
i would not use anything that didnt cover the trigger since there is no point in carrying without one in the pipe.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 2:06:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Well I put one on my carry 27 just for SnG's and to see what it was all about.

I would feel very uncomfortable carrying with the gun in battery.  No trigger protection.  I carry a knife in my right pocket and immediately noticed that it potentially could interfere with the trigger.

A long shot, but too dangerous for me.

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 2:58:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I haven't heard a buddy say, nor did someone tell me, nor am I assuming about the clip draw.

I have a clipdraw on my Glock 27 and really like it.  I have carried it with shorts, jeans, belt, inside jacket, and on wind pants.  I also have a saf t blok on mine too to protect the trigger.  It is easy to pop out while drawing the pistol.

I carry it all the time when I am not on duty.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:00:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I put one on my J-frame, but decided it was not for me.  My main problem was that the clip is positioned too far forward, leaving too much of the gun above my waistline.  I would feel more comfortable with a deeper carry position on the J-frames, because they tend to "spill" over my waistband when I sit down when the gun is positioned too high.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:39:20 PM EDT
[#11]
decent idea, but imo junk
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:30:26 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Tried 1 ONCE on my J-frame in public. After a quick, careful visit to the bathroom with my arm clamped to my side so as to keep the pistol from falling out on the floor, it was removed and will NEVER find a place on my pistol ever again. I'd noticed that during the drive to the resturant that I had to reposition the pistol but didn't think too much of it...By the time I got inside and sat down, it had worked itself completely loose from my belt and out of my pant's waistband...I was very fortunate to notice and be able to lock my arm down and get to the bathroom...The alternative was that that nice shiny pistol would make a loud 'clunk' on the floor...not a good thing to contemplate.

IMHO it's a VERY overrated product. YMMV

What's wrong with you sir?

A Smith and Wesson Kidney Stone!!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:51:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I was trying to think of a way to blow my manhood off with a 147g JHP. I think this might be the solution.

Thanks!

;(

Brandon J.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:55:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I use one on my keltec 32, that is it.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:08:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Might have a use for people whose job requires them to be able to remove all signs of belligerence as the sirens grow louder...
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:43:05 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Not legal in GA either.

And a Glock IWB without a holster??  Puh-leese.  NO way.

Quoted:
Agree with PAEBR332 and bnorman.  I'm not impressed.

It's legal in GA unless the law has changed in the last 2 years. It falls in the same category as "Barami hip grips", which are specifically named as being legal.

Here: www.legis.state.ga.us/cgi-bin/gl_codes_detail.pl?code=16-11-126

(c) This Code section shall not permit, outside of his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business, the concealed carrying of a pistol, revolver, or concealable firearm by any person unless that person has on his or her person a valid license issued under Code Section 16-11-129 and the pistol, revolver, or firearm may only be carried in a shoulder holster, waist belt holster, any other holster, hipgrip, or any other similar device, in which event the weapon may be concealed by the person´s clothing, or a handbag, purse, attache case, briefcase, or other closed container. Carrying on the person in a concealed manner other than as provided in this subsection shall not be permitted and shall be a violation of this Code section.

This is not to say that the Clipdraw is a good idea, just that it is legal in GA.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:57:36 AM EDT
[#17]
I have one on my 340 and its great.  I don't even have a holster for it, I either carry it IWB with the clip draw or in my pocket.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:48:19 PM EDT
[#18]
I carry my 1911 with a Clip Draw, condition 1, and it is fairly comfortable. It enables me to ditch the gun when I go somewhere I cannot carry it (I work at a university), Wally World, post office, etc.  It also enables me to carry it at 11:00 when I am driving, without shifting a holster!

I AM rather laterally enhanced, at 5'10" and 270 lbs so this may be part of the equation: my belly* keeps the pistol in place.

(edit) However, in the cold NM winter, if the gun is left in the car, it must be carried for 10 minutes before drawing, or it'll take flesh with it!

*Dunlaps Disease: My belly done lapped over my belt.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:31:47 AM EDT
[#19]
you cant carry in wally world in NM?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:58:19 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
you cant carry in wally world in NM?

Nope. They put up signs on the front door, something to the effect of "No guns, loaded or unloaded, allowed... "yadda yadda. So some enterprising lawyer/CCW people wrote a letter to WWHQ saying, "Since you won't let me have the choice of effective personal protection, my family is instructed to sue the Wally Pants off of you should I become injured or killed in circumstances under which I otherwise would have protected myself..."
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:23:33 PM EDT
[#21]
One of my range buddies showed me his Kel-Tec P3AT with a clipdraw just yesterday.  He carries it in his front pants pocket.  I always thought that it was just a folding knife.  

I think that the combination of the heavy trigger pull and the positioning of the clipdraw so that all but about 1/8" of the KelTec are concealed in the pocket make sense - as long as that is all that's in that pocket.

This was very accessible and kept the pistol in a stable consistent position.  I used to carry a KelTec P3AT in a pocket holster - but it would always shift so that it pointed forward instead of down.  Very frustrating....  This is definitely better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top