Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2006 11:52:50 AM EDT
My girlfriend will be getting her CHL soon and I'm looking for some advice on a good carry gun. She shoots IPSC with a full size 1911, so she has fairly good gun handling skills. Obviously, a full size 1911 is not an ideal carry gun for a woman. She will be carrying it in a purse that is not very large. I was thinking maybe a snubbed nose, hammerless revolver. Any better ideas? She has experience with semi-autos, so they are not too complicated for her if there are better choices.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:54:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Glock 26 for my GF
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:47:37 PM EDT
[#2]
1. G26  
2. Kahr
3. 642
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:27:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:29:13 PM EDT
[#4]
consider an officers 1911 if she is used to and shoots well with that platform. My wife Shoots consistantly to the left, with her glock 19, but is right on center with a browning bda .380.  she shot better with a full size 1911 than the glock 19, the grip just does not feel right to her. I would say what ever feels right in her hand and she can hit where she is aiming would be the most important part.  Try finding a range that rents several different models and let her try different options.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:34:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. The glock or smaller 1911 are good ideas, but I don't think she can afford one. That's kind of why I was thinking of a revolver. I guess she could sell her current 1911 to fund a carry gun if she needed to.

ETA: Does anyone know where to get good, fashionable, conceal carry oriented purses for a 23 year old?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:23:50 PM EDT
[#6]
If she plans on carrying in a purse why would she get rid of her current 1911. It seems as if the issue of trying to conceal a larger firearm would be a non issue.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:25:36 PM EDT
[#7]
sorry double post
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:49:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Ruger SP-101 with the bobbed hammer for purse carry.

Loaded with .38 if .357 is a little too much for her.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:55:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If she plans on carrying in a purse why would she get rid of her current 1911. It seems as if the issue of trying to conceal a larger firearm would be a non issue.

Because she's a small girl and likes to carry a small purse.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:09:08 PM EDT
[#10]
A novel idea would be letting her pick what she likes, wants, and feels comfortable with.  It will be her carry gun, so aside from letting her do something stupid like a Lorcin, let her figure out what she wants.  (Not a flame, just the truth based on a lot of experience with guys picking out girl's guns.)  Take it for what it's worth.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:39:49 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
A novel idea would be letting her pick what she likes, wants, and feels comfortable with.  It will be her carry gun, so aside from letting her do something stupid like a Lorcin, let her figure out what she wants.  (Not a flame, just the truth based on a lot of experience with guys picking out girl's guns.)  Take it for what it's worth.

I think that's a good idea too. I liked the glock 26 idea, but she says it too wide, and I think she find it ugly. She also wants at least a 9mm, so finding a small, pretty, inexpensive 9mm sounds quite a task.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:00:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, I took her to the gun shop today to let her pick something out. I pretty much kept quiet while the owner showed her various carry guns. My only suggestion was either no manual safety or one similar to the 1911, so her training isn't counter productive. She ended likely the sub-compact Springfield XD. Then we went to the mall and found her a purse with a large outer pocket to hold the gun. I hate malls. Anyway, thanks everyone for your suggestions.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:36:19 PM EDT
[#13]
My wife picked out this one after we looked at alot of CCW, for her. I like the fact that it has no external safety, so I know she will not get into a situation where she is trying to pull the trigger but forgot to take the safety off. It is a simple gun, load and shoot....

SMITH AND WESSON MODEL 642 REVOLVER

Specifications

Caliber: .38 S&W Special +P
Capacity: 5 Rounds
Barrel Length: 1-7/8"
Front Sight: Serrated Ramp
Rear Sight: Fixed Notch
Grip: Uncle Mike's Boot
Trigger: .312" Smooth Target
Hammer: Internal
External Safety: N/A
Frame: Small
Finish: Glassbead
Overall length: 6-5/16"
Material: Aluminum Alloy / Stainless Steel
Weight Empty: 15 ounces

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:03:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Any Taurus CIA lightweight snubbie should be more than sufficient, and not to pricey.  Galco makes very fashionable purses for concealed carry and when my wife saw one, her comment was, "What a fabulous purse.  The leather is nicer than my Coach!"
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:14:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, we went ahead and bought the Springfield XD9 sub-compact. Took it to the range tonight and was very impressed. Put four rounds in the same 9mm hole from five yards. Shoots a little to the right though. Anyone know the best way to adjust the rear sight on an XD?

Here's a pic:

Once she gets her license, she will carry it in the outer pocket of her new purse. Should be quick access--a magnetized flap is the only thing keeping the pocket closed.

Thanks again for the input everyone.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:36:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Any of the Kel-tec's P32, P380 or P11 (9mm), Bersa Thunder 380, S&W Rev or any other type like these!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:22:07 AM EDT
[#17]
i would find a better option to carrying the thing.

if badguy steals purse he no has purse and you ccw. also she would have to fumble to get it out of the purse if its not held stationary. i suggest a holster or the like and ditch the purse idea.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:28:15 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
i would find a better option to carrying the thing.

if badguy steals purse he no has purse and you ccw. also she would have to fumble to get it out of the purse if its not held stationary. i suggest a holster or the like and ditch the purse idea.

The outside pocket of the purse is the perfect size to hold it. There is nothing else in that pocket, and it's the fastest option short of an actual holster on her belt (which she won't do). She religiously keeps her purse on her person when out in public, so I'm not worried about it being taken when she isn't looking.

FWIW, I'd rather her use an IWB holster too, but that's not an option with her.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:48:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Glad she found something she likes.

Have you considered SmartCarry for her?  She sounds like an ideal candidate.  It's better than purse carry, at least.

There's also ankle rigs, but that makes it hard to wear a skirt.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:39:05 AM EDT
[#20]
well, what im trying to say is purse snatchers go for the purse and that would be a problem if her ccw is in there.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:34:09 AM EDT
[#21]
I would have to say that the K9 would be my choice for any women. My wife like mine so much she took it for herself.

Now she is also eyeing my Sig 229, but I think I still have one hand left on it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:30:45 PM EDT
[#22]
My GF packs a Kel-Tec .380. It will fit into even her smallest purse.  It does have a little kick to it though.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:03:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks again for all of the info everyone. Just thought I'd let y'all know that I convinced her that carrying on the body is superior to purse carry. She got a Comp-tac CTAC for her XD, and we practice drills at least once a week.

Anyone interested in the drills we practice can go here:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=13&t=441969
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=10&t=27187
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:11:24 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
My wife picked out this one after we looked at alot of CCW, for her. I like the fact that it has no external safety, so I know she will not get into a situation where she is trying to pull the trigger but forgot to take the safety off. It is a simple gun, load and shoot....

SMITH AND WESSON MODEL 642 REVOLVER

i24.photobucket.com/albums/c43/RonnieDavid/x00017976.jpg

Specifications

Caliber: .38 S&W Special +P
Capacity: 5 Rounds
Barrel Length: 1-7/8"
Front Sight: Serrated Ramp
Rear Sight: Fixed Notch
Grip: Uncle Mike's Boot
Trigger: .312" Smooth Target
Hammer: Internal
External Safety: N/A
Frame: Small
Finish: Glassbead
Overall length: 6-5/16"
Material: Aluminum Alloy / Stainless Steel
Weight Empty: 15 ounces

+1  My wife carries one similar to this
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:39:43 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Well, we went ahead and bought the Springfield XD9 sub-compact. Took it to the range tonight and was very impressed. Put four rounds in the same 9mm hole from five yards. Shoots a little to the right though. Anyone know the best way to adjust the rear sight on an XD?

Here's a pic:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/topgunpilot20/Guns/xd.jpg

Once she gets her license, she will carry it in the outer pocket of her new purse. Should be quick access--a magnetized flap is the only thing keeping the pocket closed.

Thanks again for the input everyone.

Nice choice with the XD9SC.  Put some more lead down range before trying to adjust the sights.  The long trigger pull and a finger placement that's not "just right" will pull to one side or the other.  I pulled it to the left consistently at first, but after about 500 rounds and a change in finger position I've been right on target.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:17:48 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
consider an officers 1911 if she is used to and shoots well with that platform.

No, Don't. I shoot ONLY 1911s, but I don't trust anything with less than a 4" barrel for the sake of reliability from EXPERIENCE. IMO, she would be best suited with a 4" + 1911 holstered or in one of those ridiculously expensive CCW purses.  Otherwise, I'd go with your 1st call... a hammerless smith J frame of the NONlightweight variety pref .357 mag.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top