Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2006 2:26:34 PM EDT
I was at Cabelas and saw Beretta's new single action Colt knockoffs.   Beretta Marshall
or Rugers Birdshead

This would be a "traditional" ccw, and might be fun.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:02:38 PM EDT
[#1]
bump
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:40:40 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I was at Cabelas and saw Beretta's new single action Colt knockoffs.   Beretta Marshall
or Rugers Birdshead

To each his own I guess.  I'm assuming they're drop safe.

I really prefer to carry something I can defend myself with, and I don't think I'd be so hot at doing so with a single action revolver.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:54:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
To each his own I guess.  I'm assuming they're drop safe.

I really prefer to carry something I can defend myself with, and I don't think I'd be so hot at doing so with a single action revolver.  

I actually like the way the old revolvers shoot, it is just a matter of practice.  The best "point and shoot" gun I have ever shot is an old .44 new army.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:18:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one of the Berrettas   it's a pretty cool gun.  For CCW or self defense, I could make it work, but if it needed more than six shots...things would be uncomfortable.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:54:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Then carry 2 six shooters

Quoted:
I have one of the Berrettas   it's a pretty cool gun.  For CCW or self defense, I could make it work, but if it needed more than six shots...things would be uncomfortable.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:03:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Ya only need one right?  

I guess it is just that I grew up in a ranching/farming family, and I read way too many Louis La'mour books.  

I am reading "Hell I was There!" by Elmer Keith at the moment.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:43:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:46:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ya only need one right?  

I guess it is just that I grew up in a ranching/farming family, and I read way too many Louis La'mour books.  

I am reading "Hell I was There!" by Elmer Keith at the moment.  

That's probably my all time favorite book.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:05:17 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
or Rugers Birdshead

Might be fun until you actually needed to use it and thought, "OH FUCK, why am I carrying this thing?!?!?!?!"
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:46:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Occasionally, I concealed carry my Ruger Vaquero.

When was the last time you had to fight a gang of 15 bad guys?  Chances are a couple good shots will take care of most situations.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:13:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
When was the last time you had to fight a gang of 15 bad guys?  Chances are a couple good shots will take care of most situations.

My concern wouldn't be capacity so much as the fact that

fear -> adrenaline -> loss of motor skills -> me clumsy cocking the SA revolver -> me dead on the street.

I do carry a double action at times.  I like "pull trigger go boom" guns for CCW.

Like I said -- to each his own.  I'm sure plenty of folks are skilled enough and confident enough with a SA that they can effectively defend themselves with one.  I just know my limitations.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:30:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Like I said -- to each his own.  I'm sure plenty of folks are skilled enough and confident enough with a SA that they can effectively defend themselves with one.  I just know my limitations.

WHOA!  A guy from Texas, that knows his limitations!  

(i had to do it.)
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:28:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Got a decent carry holster for it yet? Been meaning to order one of these to occasionally carry my Hartford for awhile..... Mernickle

T Bone (Detroit).
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:29:07 AM EDT
[#14]
For CCW, I don't think the issue is so much facing 15 bad guys with a 6 shot SA revolver.  Really all it would take is 2 BGs with knives to make that kind of gun not the best choice since you have to pull that hammer back yourself each shot.  Criminals are cowards who only attack when they have the advantage, and they really like to do so when they're able to outnumber you (maybe it's because they share a brain between them?)  Ever been jumped by two or more scumbags?  I did before I started shooting/carrying;  they'll both come at you at the same time.  You won't get into a "stand-off" with them, and if you do they're probably not all that serious about getting you.  Of course it's your butt, so do what you want but I carry a Glock G32.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:35:16 AM EDT
[#15]
I know there are some Cowboy Action nutjobs here...  Where are you guys...
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:36:17 AM EDT
[#16]
My personal pref, is HK USPc in .40 and I want to try a P2000, but this is an interesting topic.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:14:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Might not count, but sometimes I carry a North American Arms 5 shot mini .22Mag. which is single action.  I've got the model with the folding handle, and it fits in my boot, or pratically anywhere else for that matter.  Not much of a gun, but lots of noise and muzzle flash, and within a few yards pretty lethal I'd guess.  It's generally used for dirt bike riding, or romantic walks on the beach.  Did I say that out loud?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:28:38 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Occasionally, I concealed carry my Ruger Vaquero.

And when you run into a situation where it doesn't?  Better to be over prepared than under.  I don't think that anyone who's ever been in a gun fight has ever said afterwards "Man I wish I had had less ammo."
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:33:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Hey guys, the SAA may not be oaky, IS not the ideal defense weapon with today's technology. But it certainly is a viable choice for occasional carry. Let's face it, the first rule in a gunfight is to have a gun. The Colt and it's clones have been in many more than most. And it is certainly superior to many mouse guns carried by many pistolero's of today.

$.02
T Bone (Detroit).
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:33:41 PM EDT
[#20]
I once thought about carrying my Super Black Hawk .44 mag. I just figured the muzzle blast would scare anyone away.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:38:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Not for CCW, but out in woods yes.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:18:31 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I once thought about carrying my Super Black Hawk .44 mag. I just figured the muzzle blast would scare anyone away.

My grandfather has a .44 stainless redhawk.  With Buffalobore ammo, that thing hurts!  12 rounds will bruise your hand.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:47:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top