Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/9/2022 3:18:30 PM EDT
Looking for a compact AND reliable 9mm for my wife. She is moving up from an LCP in .380 so I want something smallish.
Max capacity is nice but not at the expense of size and reliability.
What's the latest hotness in small carry guns?

ETA: Don't want a single action with safety. Prefer she just has to draw and pull the trigger.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 3:24:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Sig P938
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 3:25:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sig P938
View Quote

That is a single action with a safety right? I guess I should have said no safety.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 3:29:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Hellcat? Couple coworkers like them, I don't have one.

Unless you hate Springfield.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 3:34:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Get a shield.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 3:35:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Hellcat is great, if it is small enough for your needs.

Love my bi-tone Hellcat.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 4:04:23 PM EDT
[#6]
In the LGS today, looking for something just like you are asking. Looked at Hellcats, G43, Shield Plus. Walked out with a P365. Can get more cap in OE mags, can change grips to fit hands better, and it fit better *for me*. Manual of arms extremely similar to my M17, and good sights.

My wife has a M&P9c 1.0, but does not carry it. So, this may not be what you are wanting to hear for this question, but she enjoys it, fits her well and she shoots it great. What matters is she likes it, as you well know.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 4:27:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
In the LGS today, looking for something just like you are asking. Looked at Hellcats, G43, Shield Plus. Walked out with a P365. Can get more cap in OE mags, can change grips to fit hands better, and it fit better *for me*. Manual of arms extremely similar to my M17, and good sights.

My wife has a M&P9c 1.0, but does not carry it. So, this may not be what you are wanting to hear for this question, but she enjoys it, fits her well and she shoots it great. What matters is she likes it, as you well know.
View Quote

I may have to re-look at the 365 now that it's been out awhile. I went through two after they first came out. On one the striker broke and the other the trigger died. Both happened within 500 rounds and both failures rendered the gun useless. I gave up on the 365 at that point. I tried the XL when it came out. It would not go into battery out of the box, but Sig replaced the RSA and it has now been good through 2k rounds at least. The 365 may be in the running.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 4:29:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hellcat is great, if it is small enough for your needs.

Love my bi-tone Hellcat.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/467079/20210212_144756_jpg-2272980.JPG
View Quote

I don't fault anyone for buying a Hellcat and I am sure they are super guns, but for some reason I have a mental block when it comes to Springfield. I tried an XD early on and it did nothing for me. I guess I need to get over it. If I am willing to give SIG a third chance I should probably consider Springfield. The one you have sure is purdy. Did you have it stippled or does it come like that?
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 4:49:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Get a shield.
View Quote

I carried a shield for a few years and liked it. It just seems to me that it is significantly bigger than say the P365 or G43. Am I wrong?
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 4:57:22 PM EDT
[#10]
G43 with Metal sights and quality plus 2 extensions. Done.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 5:12:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
G43 with Metal sights and quality plus 2 extensions. Done.
View Quote

I'm inclined to think this way as I am a Glock nut and because I already own one with TT extensions. I carry with the +1 and have the +2 as backup. And 8 rounds of 9mm beats 6 rounds of .380 which she has now. I was not sure what else was out there at this point and my wife ain't getting mine. Well, unless she wants it of course.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 5:14:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I don't fault anyone for buying a Hellcat and I am sure they are super guns, but for some reason I have a mental block when it comes to Springfield. I tried an XD early on and it did nothing for me. I guess I need to get over it. If I am willing to give SIG a third chance I should probably consider Springfield. The one you have sure is purdy. Did you have it stippled or does it come like that?
View Quote

Comes that way. Adaptive Grip Texture or something like that. Better than calling it grip zone. That said it's not a gimmick. If you basely touch it your fingers (and shirt) will glide over it. But when you actually squeeze it, it has excellent grip. Basically it is designed to not tear up or get caught in clothing but still provide great grip. I find that it works as advertised.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 5:17:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
In the LGS today, looking for something just like you are asking. Looked at Hellcats, G43, Shield Plus. Walked out with a P365.
View Quote

That's what we got my wife, I think it shoots better than most of the 320s I've shot. I'd carry it in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 5:18:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Can't think of the model, but it's a S&W "easy" 9mm. Better for those who have a harder time racking the slide.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 5:21:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Can't think of the model, but it's a S&W "easy" 9mm. Better for those who have a harder time racking the slide.
View Quote

I think Walther made one like that too.

eta: this one
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 5:21:44 PM EDT
[#16]
I love my Hellcat OSP.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 5:26:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The grip looks much better to me than those Hell cat ones, but I haven't shot either one.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 5:29:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Third vote for Hellcat here.

Link Posted: 2/9/2022 5:58:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Holy cow that is some bad luck with SIG.   I’m about 600 rounds in on my XL, flawless so far.   I kinda like it, but there are obviously lots more choices.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 6:18:15 PM EDT
[#20]
It  will become the S&W CSX in the near future when they become more available.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 7:29:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It  will become the S&W CSX in the near future when they become more available.
View Quote

Saw one at my LGS last week.  Felt nice in hand.  Wouldn't mind having one.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 8:27:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How can those be reliable when they are so easy to rack the slide on?
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 8:28:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Take her to a range and have her test dire many of the choices first.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 8:31:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Holy cow that is some bad luck with SIG.   I’m about 600 rounds in on my XL, flawless so far.   I kinda like it, but there are obviously lots more choices.
View Quote

I was a Sig fan before Glock. I had just about every steel framed gun they made. My luck with their polymer guns has been abysmal. Although the XL is doing great now and I really like how it shoots.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 8:36:40 PM EDT
[#25]

How has the reliability been on the Hellcat's? Can't say I've followed them much.

I'm also finding it interesting that you guys are putting optics on them. I have RMR's on all my larger guns like G19, G45, G19x, etc. which is what I normally carry, but wonder about the usability/purpose on a really small gun. If my deep concealable 9mm is coming out it probably means we are at bad breath distance. I guess they do make sense if it's your EDC.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 8:49:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Take a look at Langdon Tactical.

I've never shot a stock Hellcat, but the LTT tuned gun is incredible.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 9:09:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

How has the reliability been on the Hellcat's? Can't say I've followed them much.

I'm also finding it interesting that you guys are putting optics on them. I have RMR's on all my larger guns like G19, G45, G19x, etc. which is what I normally carry, but wonder about the usability/purpose on a really small gun. If my deep concealable 9mm is coming out it probably means we are at bad breath distance. I guess they do make sense if it's your EDC.
View Quote
While I haven't put a lot of rounds through mine, it's been 100%.  I started with WW 124 grain NATO loads, and of course those functioned perfectly.  Then I moved to 124 grain HSTs, both standard pressure and +Ps as these are my carry loads and, again, no problems.  I always test fire a magazine worth of Buffalo Bore 9mm +P Outdoorsman 147 grain at 1100 fps loads and the Hellcat cycled 10 of those back to back again with no problem also.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 9:11:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 9:21:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Hellcat or p365.  Fanboys for either will tell you why one is better then the other, but they are wrong.  Whichever one fits your hand better is the one to buy.  

I have really large hands.  The hellcat with 15 round mags is absolutely perfect for me.  The p365 just didn’t feel or fit nearly as well in my hands.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 9:29:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Hellcat or p365.  Fanboys for either will tell you why one is better then the other, but they are wrong.  Whichever one fits your hand better is the one to buy.  

I have really large hands.  The hellcat with 15 round mags is absolutely perfect for me.  The p365 just didn’t feel or fit nearly as well in my hands.
View Quote

As a Hellcat fan boy I have to agree.

Neither are bad.  Go hold both of them. I guarantee one will feel "right" and the other one will feel "wrong."
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 9:31:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I carried a shield for a few years and liked it. It just seems to me that it is significantly bigger than say the P365 or G43. Am I wrong?
View Quote

Only slightly to me, but still very concealable. And it shoots so much better than the G43. My Shield Plus is my favorite compact currently.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 9:37:49 PM EDT
[#32]
I have 2 P365X's, 2 Hellcats, 2 43's and a 43X. The Sig is my least favorite. The Hellcat's are really well done, IMO. I carry a 43 with a magguts +1 w/OEM pinky extension and carry 2 magguts +2's as spares. I really like the 43 even thought the capacity is less then the others. It just fits my hand right and I shoot it really well. All of them have proven to be reliable. I'll be getting a Shield Plus next, but nothing seems to be able to replace my 43's yet.

Link Posted: 2/9/2022 10:44:09 PM EDT
[#33]
G43.

G43 Right by FredMan, on Flickr

G43 Left by FredMan, on Flickr

G43 C-T Paddle by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 11:00:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Walther PPS M2 for a single stack, S&W Shield Plus for a double stack.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 11:04:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Attachment Attached File

G48MOS is so hot it set the downrange cement on fire

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 12:21:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Thanks for all the great feedback and recommendations.  Time to go put hands on a bunch of pistols.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 12:24:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
No issues with mine, whatever I load it with goes bang and loads the next round.
I went with Swamp Fox because I can still co-witness with factory sights, no need to buy tall sights.
Even with the optic, it is a small footprint carry gun.
Another thing is I get less muzzle flip than a Sig or Glock. Faster follow up. (For me, in my opinion) seems to dig more, not flip up, making coming back on target faster.
At bad breath distance, just fill the window with the target, no need for the dot.

Link Posted: 2/10/2022 7:09:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't speak to that, I just remember the gun store clerk showed it to us as a contender when I was showing my wife the 365, 43, etc. He mentioned the easy racking feature. She thought it felt ok but liked the Sig better.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 6:04:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Have her shoot some first to let her decide, easy way out.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 9:05:47 AM EDT
[#40]
My wife carries a Glock 19.
She shot my 365 just to try it and said it was snappy compared to the 19.

365 is a 2nd option (AKA backup) in weak hand front pocket for me in addition to Glock IWB.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 9:35:16 AM EDT
[#41]
My wife and daughters could never shoot Glocks without jamming issues because of weak grip strength.

They all shot the P365 like a pro.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 9:46:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 11:01:11 AM EDT
[#43]
Have a 365X I pick up on Friday and a SL TLR7sub to pair with it.

What holsters are you guys using for AIWB? Not looking for anything connected.
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 11:10:44 AM EDT
[#44]

I fingered a Hellcat at my LGS yesterday and I have to say it felt really good in my hand. Especially with the extended mag.
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 4:34:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 5:16:25 PM EDT
[#46]
I just picked up the Shield Plus so now I have pretty much all of them. I'm not really interested in the Ruger or Taurus. I must say the Shield Plus could possibly replace my 43. It shoots really well and fits my had better then the Sig or Hellcat. I didn't want to like it because it's fugly. The trigger is really good for out of the box.

Link Posted: 2/26/2022 3:40:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I fingered a Hellcat at my LGS yesterday and I have to say it felt really good in my hand. Especially with the extended mag.
View Quote
Have you / your wife made a choice yet?
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 6:46:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not Yet, work schedules have prevented us from getting out to shoot them. In the meantime she is carrying one of my 43's with TT extensions which she has some trigger time with.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 8:51:16 PM EDT
[#49]
My small 9mm is a Taurus G2C.   It’s not the cool kid on the block but it just plain works.  I have Glocks, Smiths, Sigs, etal.   The G2C is hard to beat and it’s cheap.  It has a safety if you’re so inclined.  I ignore it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 9:23:31 PM EDT
[#50]
I seem to be alone in this, but my Ruger LC9s Pro is the most accurate compact pistol I've ever owned. The Pro model has no safety or mag. disconnect. and has a great trigger. I've only shot HST through mine, but it's been 100 percent reliable and hits where I point it. ?????
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top