Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 1/6/2022 11:59:28 AM EDT
Thinking of getting some kydex holsters for my carry guns that are setup for lights, of course this means they are largely model specific for the type of light I'm carrying.  But I'm thinking, do I need to have a light on my EDC gun?  Its not like my house where I would need that if I'm investigating something on my property and don't want to shoot a family member or whatnot.  If its so dark I'm having trouble seeing and I'm out on the street I'm probably going to use that to retreat from the situation.  It will make the gun heavier as well.  Do you find a weapon mounted light a key part of your EDC setup?
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 12:12:10 PM EDT
[#1]
When the weather is cold and I'm wearing jackets and heavier clothing, yes. Glock 17 with rmr and x300u

When it's warmer and in shorts and a t-shirt or something light, no. Sig p365
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 12:28:12 PM EDT
[#2]
No lights on my carry handguns. I'm honest with myself and know I don't train enough to make effective, safe use of a handgun mounted light, especially in situations where I have to PID targets in the dark and am dealing with the possibility of family members, bystanders, etc, entering my "cone of death."

Sometimes, having something for an edge case can become a liability for the rest of the area under the curve. IMHO.

If you are really capable of using the light, I'd say have at it and carry one. Otherwise...
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 12:37:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes x300
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 12:38:10 PM EDT
[#4]
When at home I don't see a single situation where not having a light is beneficial.  I have had family who have keys to my house make drunken entry to get something they left behind without calling me.  I was in a defensive position with a firearm ready to go, being able to ID someone rather than seeing a silhouette moving in the dark helps a lot. Thankfully they finally answered my challenge and ID'd themselves.  All my HD guns have lights on them, bright ones that will still light up the room when pointed at the floor.

On the street I'm unassing the situation if I can't see well enough as they probably can't see me very well either.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 2:19:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I do EDC with an X300U, but do not consider it a key element.     I also wouldn't make any distinction between a need for artificial light in HD vs EDC.   It is possible to find yourself in near darkness even while out and about on a sunny summer day.  

I don't think a wml is key anymore, with pistols, because through my latest 6 days in lowlight training classes,  a handheld has played the major role.     Over one of these 3 day class I only used it for 10minutes while testing momentary-on under recoil then only used my handheld the rest of the time despite having it equipped.  And we were shooting out to 25y in that one   In the other class it was mostly used as a secondary light when simultaneously covering multiple hallways or directions in a shoothouse environment.  All my prior lowlight training also made heavy use of handhelds too but I used to transition to the wml more when switching from search/threat into shoot mode.   Now I find it's not worth the tradeoff in time for me to transition in most cases since my one handed shooting has developed.   If it was for a longer range shot I probably would still ditch the handheld but it would be for beyond 30y or a hostagetaker type shot to bother.

I do still carry one because it take no extra effort for me to have it and it does provide more options.   I like having options.   But it's far from being a necessity.   However I do consider having a handheld key along with developing the knowledge of how to use it including the skill to shooting well one handed.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 2:19:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I have in the past but not anymore. I’m not a red dot fan either.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 2:52:34 PM EDT
[#7]
No light. No MRD. I'm dead but don't know it yet.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 3:07:06 PM EDT
[#8]
PPS M2 doesn't accept a light, so no.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 3:16:38 PM EDT
[#9]
No. Handheld only for me with my EDC.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 3:51:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a WML on my nightstand gun. I can't envision a scenario where I would need one on my carry gun. I do have a handheld in my pocket, though.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 5:26:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I always carry a light with me, but not on my carry gun as of yet.  I'll probably get a OWB holster for my XD with the light just in case though.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 7:02:53 PM EDT
[#12]
I do, a tlr7 sub on a G48 or G19 with a tlr7A. I carry a little streamlight micro stream everyday as well.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 7:34:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I do, a tlr7 sub on a G48 or G19 with a tlr7A. I carry a little streamlight micro stream everyday as well.
View Quote

That got me thinking, if I'm going to put a light on my carry gun maybe I should get a smaller one.  This OLight PL-Pro is pretty big.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 8:24:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes. G19 with a TLR-7A.

Dont need it, dont use it. With the shorter flush lights, there’s no difference in comfort when carrying with or without the light to me. Extra weight up front will help reduce muzzle flip if anything. If you need it, it’s there.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 8:43:09 PM EDT
[#15]
I do not, mainly because a Raven Vanguard 2 for P365XL will not work with it.  I also figure that if I haven’t already ID’d the threat, my gun should not be out.  

I do carry a microstream usb, though.  I actually use it all the time
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 10:07:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Yes.  Any gun I carry gets a wml.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 10:54:56 PM EDT
[#17]
My carry guns are a Glock 43X MOS with TLR-7a sub and RMR Type 2 and a Glock 45 MOS with TLR-1HL and RMR.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 12:34:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Yes. Gunfights in the dark suck, and it’s dark half the day.

Trying to open doors, reload, use a phone, get your keys etc while you still need a gun and a light out gets tricky and turns into an awkward juggle.

When you need a gun and a light in a hurry do you want to worry about drawing two things at once? What gets drawn first?

If you end up not needing it great. But if you need it there isn’t a replacement. And a gun light doesn’t replace a handheld and vice versa.

If you think you don’t need it, hopefully Murphy never tries to prove otherwise.

Tons of big names and small Etsy shops are making holsters for just about any gun and light combo.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 12:43:44 AM EDT
[#19]
No.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 1:17:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Nope.
Light stays on my home defense pistol (G45)
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 8:30:40 AM EDT
[#21]
I tend to carry my work gun (G19 with a x300) on duty and off duty. With a good kydex holster it works fine for me.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 9:03:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Home Defense: Yeah, my primary weapons have lights. I also have dedicated flashlights next to them so I have the option of not pointing a muzzle at something to light it up. But, lights are on the weapons because sometimes you don't have a free hand or whatnot.

Every Day Carry: No lights on my pistols. Too bulky, and I carry a flashlight.

To me, the scenario is different if I'm in my home and awakened, and if I'm out and about on the town...or byways or whatnot.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 9:27:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Sometimes. I don't think it's critical but a nice to have.

There's definitely times I think it could be a big help, like a movie theater shooting.

I do not like carrying the x300. Just to bulky. The tlr7 on the other hand
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 9:29:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Yes

G48 TLR7S 4Bros appendix

Streamlight 1L-1AA weak side pocket

Edit: as stated above not a critical item but if I can have it and it conceals well why not.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 9:41:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Yes

a few reasons.

I want to be able to PID at the moment before I shoot

I want to be able to assess how effective my shots are and the effect they are having on the aggressor

I want to be able to see what a downed aggressor is doing while I am covering him after shooting him

I want to be able to express to the authorities and a jury that I could tell exactly what was happening and responded appropriately
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 10:13:00 AM EDT
[#26]
No. Nor do I carry an extra mag or knife. Heck, I don't even own a watch or wallet.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 10:38:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
No. Nor do I carry an extra mag or knife. Heck, I don't even own a watch or wallet.
View Quote
Are you part native American and go barefoot? I think I saw you on a show I watch.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 10:40:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yes

a few reasons.

I want to be able to assess how effective my shots are and the effect they are having on the aggressor

I want to be able to see what a downed aggressor is doing while I am covering him after shooting him

I want to be able to express to the authorities and a jury that I could tell exactly what was happening and responded appropriately
View Quote

Not for nothing but a handheld can do all that plus you can use it to assess possible threats without drawing your gun.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 10:43:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Not for nothing but a handheld can do all that plus you can use it to assess possible threats without drawing your gun.
View Quote
2 is 1.... I have both :)
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 10:44:17 AM EDT
[#30]
I have twins of my carry gun.  One with a light, one without.  I'm 43 with kids.  I rarely go out at night, but on movie night, I'll grab the one with the light.  During the day, I carry the one without the light.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 10:48:01 AM EDT
[#31]
P10C in a Philster Floodlight, RMR and X300 of course with a spare mag.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 10:52:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Yes

a few reasons.

View Quote
I'm curious. If you couldn't PID, why did you draw your weapon?
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 10:58:07 AM EDT
[#33]
No,
My main EDC is a 938 w laser ( not that cheap SIG laser ).
My other EDC can mount a light ( P230 w 508T dot ) but my holsters are not made for a light.
I live in the city so the 938 conceals better.
If I am out in the sticks I EDC a FNX45t w RMR and a mounted light.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 11:26:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Are you part native American and go barefoot? I think I saw you on a show I watch.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like to travel light. Pistol, keys, cell, and my DL, CC and CHL shoved in my back pocket. Never liked to sit on a wallet and I've never liked wearing a watch.

I do wear shoes though.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 11:35:00 AM EDT
[#35]
RMR and X300. Flush fit mag with TTI extension on backup mag. TTI mag in at night. Why not have every advantage over bad guys? You must train with it.

ETA: I also carry a handheld light and knives. As has been already said, you don't want to have to PID a target with your WML. But if you do any sort of night travel or could find yourself in an unlit area during the day, a WML could be a lifesaver.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 11:37:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Never liked to sit on a wallet.

View Quote
A few years ago, I switched to carrying a simple wallet in my front pocket with a DL, CWL, and a couple of CC's. I was never really a Costanza wallet kind of guy.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 12:16:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not the point. I quoted a statement saying he wants to PID before taking a shot which is why he wants a wml. I always carry a handheld as well. Even when I have a wml.

I want to PID a threat before I draw.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 12:42:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Thanks for all the replies.  But at home I can see getting in a gun fight in the dark, on the streets is that the same?  I definitely get the idea of "why not" but I don't see drawing a firearm with a WML to do initial ID if I'm walking on South Grand.  In STL that would probably open myself up to return fire.

I need to look at some smaller lights though but I love this 1500 lumen light.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:37:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
No light. No MRD. I'm dead but don't know it yet.
View Quote

<- joining the living dead club.

I carry a separate flashlight, as I need to draw that far more often than my handgun. I'm not usually out and about at night around town, and my home defense rifles all have lights. If I'm in the bush, I have a rifle with a light.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 5:42:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the replies.  But at home I can see getting in a gun fight in the dark, on the streets is that the same?  I definitely get the idea of "why not" but I don't see drawing a firearm with a WML to do initial ID if I'm walking on South Grand.  In STL that would probably open myself up to return fire.

View Quote

Do you go out after dark? Go to the movies? Dinner? Christmas parties? Shopping? Picking your kids up after games or functions?

I'm not saying they're mandatory but there's more to the initial PID that makes a wml nice to have.

Again, I'm currently carrying a 6 shot .357 with a handheld so I walk both sides of this one.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 5:55:59 PM EDT
[#41]
I have a Raven type holster for 5" MP with TLR-1HL. Carry it with me, and at night it rides on nightstand. I have handheld flashlights as EDC as well.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 6:18:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Kind of hard to fit on a revolver.  Yeah, I know, my funeral.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 9:04:35 AM EDT
[#43]
I either carry a G43, G43X, or a G48. None are the railed versions, so no weapon mounted lights, so I carry a Streamlight PolyTac with a Thyrm Switchback 2.0 on it
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 9:11:36 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I either carry a G43, G43X, or a G48. None are the railed versions, so no weapon mounted lights, so I carry a Streamlight PolyTac with a Thyrm Switchback 2.0 on it
View Quote

You can put a TLR-6 on any of those. It's not a bad light and it's compact. Can get with or without visible laser.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 11:02:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

You can put a TLR-6 on any of those. It's not a bad light and it's compact. Can get with or without visible laser.
View Quote
I tried a TLR-6 on a Glock 26 and I hated the switch. It was awkward to use.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 11:09:48 AM EDT
[#46]
No.  I decided awhile back to just carry a small streamlight in my pants pocket.  That way I've got it whether I'm carrying the P07 (normal), the FNS-C (smaller than normal) or the M&P Shield (really smaller.)
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 1:00:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

I’d argue if you’re already out of the holster, return fire is already a concern. And with contrasting urban light conditions, you may be able to see or if a threat as that shadowy figure in the dark who’s trying to kill me. When you try to get a sight picture on said shadowy figure in the dark it can be rather difficult, thus the utility of the light on your gun.

My thought process is I’ve been there done that, not doing it again. The bad guy always gets a vote and 99% of the time the bad guy has the initiative, so why not give yourself any advantage you can?
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 1:05:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

When you try to get a sight picture on said shadowy figure in the dark it can be rather difficult, thus the utility of the light on your gun.

View Quote
I think a RDS would be a better alternative.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 2:45:11 PM EDT
[#49]
I was recently introduced to Grant Cunningham's take on likelihood and plausibility and how it applies to the equipment we use and how we train. If I have a WML on my EDC, it goes without saying that I would need to train with it to be proficient in its deployment. For me, this would fall to the left of the plausibility line talked about by Grant. Devoting training resources to becoming proficient in something I will likely never use isn't productive. Obviously, opinions on this will vary greatly. Take a look at Grant's article and decide for yourself if you can apply it to your situation.

https://www.grantcunningham.com/2018/05/a-new-way-of-looking-at-likelihood-and-plausbility/

Link Posted: 1/8/2022 2:55:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Nope.  Just carry a small flashlight with me.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top