Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/24/2021 1:09:13 AM EDT
I start linemen school in august. And know i wont be able to carry while at work, in company vehicle etc. Im someone who carries every time i walk out my door no matter where im going/what im doing. Anybody else like that and then started a job where they cant carry religiously. How did you get over the feeling naked part. What do you do to make yourself feel most prepared.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 1:12:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I start linemen school in august. And know i wont be able to carry while at work, in company vehicle etc. Im someone who carries every time i walk out my door no matter where im going/what im doing. Anybody else like that and then started a job where they cant carry religiously. How did you get over the feeling naked part. What do you do to make yourself feel most prepared.
View Quote

Perhaps the solution is in how creative you can be .
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 1:18:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

This kindof made a light bulb go off in my head. Maybe this is why the NAA mini revolvers sale. Could tactically anal carry one of them.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 1:32:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Anything in a hospital.
Anything in this state in any school, college, or university.
Most major corporate offices.
Prison guards.
Most major manufacturing facilities here.
Construction/service in any of the above.

Now is a good time to start learning unarmed/nonfirearm combatives.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 2:28:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I left a carry job to be a teacher. 1st school district  me a lockbox for my classroom. 2nd had a don’t ask, don’t tell policy. Both were in Texas. Don’t believe for one minute a suburban school district doesn’t have armed teachers outside the “school marshal” program.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 6:02:39 AM EDT
[#5]
We are encouraged to carry.

It's even in the employee handbook.

What's weird is my boss is a Democrat but has a Trump welcome mat at his mansion
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 6:19:39 AM EDT
[#6]
I did the math. The chance of me needing a firearm while at work is deviststingly low. The chance for me needing to provide for my family is 100%.

It’s felony carry here where I am and that would cause me to lose my job forever. So being made was a pretty serious risk.

That said my truck is like 20 feet from my office and I keep my keys in my pocket all day. Shit goes south I just run away. Even carry a glass breaker in case I’m in a room with windows but not outside doors.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 7:06:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Working in Remington Arms facilities....Bushmaster in Windham ME was CCW friendly!
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 7:45:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.  

I EDC except for the jobsites with active means of detection,
i.e. anti 2A big tech companies, govt. alphabet agencies, etc.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 7:58:46 AM EDT
[#9]
@GinjaNinja556  My office is pretty hardcore about the don't carry at work policy.  IF you get busted you're out immediately, no ifs ands or buts.

That being said I know of a few people that are willing to roll the dice & still carry at work.   If I was truely worried I might carry in the office, but with covid I don't think 3/4 of our office will be coming back into the building.

Link Posted: 6/24/2021 8:09:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This kindof made a light bulb go off in my head. Maybe this is why the NAA mini revolvers sale. Could tactically anal carry one of them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NAA Pug goes everywhere with me. For exactly this reason. Pants pocket, ankle, even in a shirt pocket.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 8:22:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Anywhere there isn't a metal detector is good for carry.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 3:37:44 PM EDT
[#12]
I was told not to carry at my last job. I carried anyways. It wasn’t a company rule but the sales manager didn’t like it. Too bad for him.

I’m at another company just a half mile down the road and still have to deal with the same homeless/druggies that occasionally walk by. My boss told me last week that he prefers that I carry. The two ladies in the office encouraged it as well.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 3:42:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I don’t give a shit what your policy is. My life is worth more than a job.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 4:32:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Not allowed at the university I've been at for twenty four years.  Carry is a no go, always has been and always will be.  I deal with it.  

I do however have a very nice, um, letter opener at my desk.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 7:18:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Well there's always C4.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 5:29:10 AM EDT
[#16]
I deep carry my LCPII when I’m somewhere I’m not supposed to carry and there is no metal detectors.  Except for gov buildings.  I won’t carry there.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 7:05:38 AM EDT
[#17]
J Frame + Ankle holster = Safety + Happiness!
Never forget, Concealed means Concealed !
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 8:15:09 AM EDT
[#18]
I worked in a NPE for 25 yrs. The first 13 yrs I carried a NAA 22lr in my pocket. No one knew I carried. Then I carried a Ruger LCP in my pocket and no one knew I carried. It is better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. I worked with criminals and murderers every day (not in a jail). Be discrete and no one will know you are armed. Stay safe and watch your surroundings.
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 6:05:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Company home office doesn't allow carry nor does Ft Bragg down the street that I go on.  Always have a tactical folder in pocket.  However, company sends me down range to work on guns in hostile zones?

CD
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 9:42:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 11:11:28 AM EDT
[#21]
My company doesn't have any 'official' policy about carrying while at work, and I know of a few 'pro-2A' types that carry (men and women). However, I don't think pressing this issue is a good idea, so I'd rather keep it in the "don't ask, don't tell" category...

I also know of others that frown upon the idea of carrying a gun, even an older gentleman that actually found out I carried.

Not gonna bore with details, yes I kept it well concealed. But while doing work with said gentleman, he was at an angle where he noticed something 'odd' on my person... [I actually have to do physical things, not an office setting]

-So - Rather than an elaborate untruth, I simply told the truth that I carry a 9mm (at the time was a Glock 43 in a good kydex holster). In the moment he didn't seem hyper concerned, but wasn't really comfortable with the idea either. The next day he came up to me (in private) and told me how much it just bothered him that I carried a loaded gun around the factory. Then I asked him if it bothered him to be around police, because they carry loaded guns to defend themselves. Of course he said "well no..." Also brought up a few other logical points about stopping to get fuel to/from work and how criminals often attack people in said locations (especially at night, I'm often working a night shift). He seemed to agree and has even talked (prior and still after being 'found') about incidents in public like at WalMart being around tweaking/weirdo types that made him uncomfortable. For awhile-after being 'found out', he was even asking my opinions about certain concealed-carry guns, but in the end he was married to an 'anti-gun' wife whom was not fond of him buying a CCW.

We still have a good work 'relationship' and he's yet to bother me about carrying.

This was a few years ago, I have since changed my setup slightly. Gone from a G43 to a Ruger LCP, yes, a downgrade. But the two major improvements: Size and weight
For the last 1-2 years this has been an acceptable tradeoff. With the type of work I do; climbing into/onto machines, getting dirty, bending/twisting, awkward movements, etc. This fits the 'at work' lifestyle.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:26:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

This. Sounds like a great opportunity to study, test out, and practice stealth firearms concealment.

And concealed means concealed. This also means don’t talk about firearms with your coworkers in a anti 2A work environment and/or culture.

Link Posted: 7/7/2021 10:16:16 AM EDT
[#23]
drink on the job, it will solve your issue.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 8:31:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's where I am also.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 8:36:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 12:40:33 PM EDT
[#26]
I'd personally carry anyway.  A P32 in a pocket is pretty much undetectable and not oopsie prone like IWB.  Sights kinda suck but it shoots decently fast and accurate.  

This is my department qual from 15y to 5.  Shooting around barricades, one handed right and left, timed draw and fire, reload incorporated, etc.  I'm happy with it.

Link Posted: 7/10/2021 6:28:50 AM EDT
[#27]
I work for the Imperial Federal Government at a non LEO alphabet agency, weapons of any kind are verboten.  Getting caught is automatic termination and a felony, not worth it.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 9:29:39 AM EDT
[#28]
I travel and stay in hotels most nights during the work week.

Carry is prohibited by policy at my company. It is unfortunate, but I would never risk my employment over something as trivial as a fundamental right.  That would be silly.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/14/2021 7:28:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Follow the rules or practice deep concealment. Every job I've ever had has been anti-carry.
Deep concealment needs to be practiced and worked through outside the situation where you need deep concealment, to make sure it is in fact good enough that it absolutely never shows no matter what you're doing. It will be slower, way less accessible, likely a small to tiny gun.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 6:47:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Not allowed at the university I've been at for twenty four years.  Carry is a no go, always has been and always will be.  I deal with it.  

I do however have a very nice, um, letter opener at my desk.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/19/2021 6:53:37 PM EDT
[#31]
I went from police to working in aviation. Can't even have a firearm in my vehicle in the parking lot.

You get used to it,  but what sucks is going home before running any errands after work unless you want to go to ___ without your carry gun.
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 9:20:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Ask for some dog spray, or for some Bee-Booper(wasp and hornet spray) both of these had a 10-15 ft. range.
Always had some of both of these in the cab of the utility truck I worked from, and carried the dog spray, ( seemed to be a form of pepper spray, made for the meter readers to carry) don't think you could attack through a stream of the dog spray.
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 12:01:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I went from police to working in aviation. Can't even have a firearm in my vehicle in the parking lot.

You get used to it,  but what sucks is going home before running any errands after work unless you want to go to ___ without your carry gun.
View Quote

How would they know if you have a firearm in your car?
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 11:22:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Every single person I've ever worked around that has been caught/exposed while carrying at work got made because they couldn't keep their mouth shut. They talk about guns or shooting and carrying outside of work and people inevitably ask them if they carry on the job.

My advice would be to keep your mouth shut about the topic at work and make whatever decision you feel comfortable with.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 11:33:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is the same for me. Although in your vehicle with a ccw license is ok, maybe, they left the rules vague for a reason. When the state went to constitutional carry, they changed the rules again and its even more vague. The email we got said send any inquiries to HR. I figured that was a trap.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 10:05:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Company home office doesn't allow carry nor does Ft Bragg down the street that I go on.  Always have a tactical folder in pocket.  However, company sends me down range to work on guns in hostile zones?

CD
View Quote

I know. Pretty freakin' silly.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 10:10:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Linemen ... well, at least you get to carry all sorts of edged and blunt melee weapons.

Develop your throwing arm?
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 10:58:15 PM EDT
[#38]
You just have to deal with it.  Not only would I be fired if caught with a firearm at my job, I could face criminal charges as well.  At least retirement isn't that far away.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 11:54:32 PM EDT
[#39]
I have to wear dress pants, shirt and tie to work most days. A jacket would be hot as hell and look out of place. My Cc options suck. A P3AT in a pocket holster is about it. Sadly the walk from my car to my office is the most dangerous part of my day.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 6:14:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I have to wear dress pants, shirt and tie to work most days. A jacket would be hot as hell and look out of place. My Cc options suck. A P3AT in a pocket holster is about it. Sadly the walk from my car to my office is the most dangerous part of my day.
View Quote

Depending upon the day, I may wear dress pants, a long sleeve business shirt, and a tie as well.  I easily carry my XDSC .40 in an IWB tuckable holster, and my bug (P365 9mm) in a pocket holster in my front dress pant's pocket.  No one has ever noticed.....

The only change I make when wearing jeans and a shirt not tucked in, is that I add a .40 mag on the OWB.  Then my briefcase has a Sig P229 .40 plus an extra mag.....  

I believe in duplicate or triplicate "systems"....

Link Posted: 8/10/2021 12:08:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I don’t give a shit what your policy is. My life is worth more than a job.
View Quote

This ^
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 7:24:40 PM EDT
[#42]
My workplace is not CCW friendly & I would be terminated if they knew, so I make sure to wear long shirts as well as use a good holster. Plus I stick to compact guns for work.
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 6:10:13 PM EDT
[#43]
I know this is going to be region dependant amung other factors, but where I live and the surrounding areas it would be 100% idiotic to assume that the linemen's various trucks were not fully equipped for all possibilities. In spite of corp. policy.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 8:09:52 PM EDT
[#44]
I carried anyway.

Pocket carry. You'll need a small slim gun and a good holster. The absolute king is the Seecamp .32 or .380 in an Aker pocket holster (sold only by Seecamp) but any pocket holster with a panel to break up the outline (or just a cut cardboard panel in front of it) will work with a slim .380 like a Beretta Pico.

When I got my first no-carry job I bought the Seecamp specifically for it. Crap gun to shoot and the ergos are not great, but it's the best firepower in it's size and the difference between a Seecamp and even a small .380 is very noticeable in how easy it is to hide.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Here is a Seecamp over a Pico and a LCPII.

This is the holster I used with my Seecamp: http://l-w-seecamp-co.myshopify.com/collections/seecamp-holsters/products/aker-pocket-express-black-leather-holster
It's the best for pure concealment while still being easy to draw, but any holster with a thin rigid panel will also work so long as the gun is slim enough. I carried in my front right pocket and it looked like my wallet.

Remember that this isn't a gun that's supposed to be ideal for a gunfight, it's as an alternative to nothing. A tiny hard-to-shoot .32 or .380 is a heck of a lot better than nothing.

The nice thing about pocket carry is you can basically get the habit and then even when you carry bigger stuff you still have the backup. It isn't even an inconvenience besides taking up a pocket.

And pocket carry has one other big advantage I have had to use frequently at past jobs: if things look shady you can put your hand into your pocket and have the gun fully, properly gripped and drawn mostly out of the holster, but shielded from view inside the pocket. If shit goes sideways you have already completed most of the draw-stroke, but if things turn out fine you can put the gun back without any fuss. Even though my current job is not remotely dangerous, I still use that trick at gas stations and when walking in shady areas.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 8:18:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I carried a NAA .22lr throughout college when it would have been a major criminal offense. It's perfect for that, but very hard to shoot and basically impossible to shoot accurately at any range. Forget reloading with it.

The Seecamp is preferable due to firepower and the ability to actually reload, and is actually the same size class. It's easier to shoot even with no sights, since the NAA sights are basically decorative. With the Aker holster it's easier to draw and looks more like a wallet than anything else. I regularly carried it in the front pocket of thin dress pants while giving presentations to crowds of people at very short distances, and no one ever noticed it.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/4/2021 3:38:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:....The nice thing about pocket carry is you can basically get the habit and then even when you carry bigger stuff you still have the backup. It isn't even an inconvenience besides taking up a pocket.

And pocket carry has one other big advantage I have had to use frequently at past jobs: if things look shady you can put your hand into your pocket and have the gun fully, properly gripped and drawn mostly out of the holster, but shielded from view inside the pocket. If shit goes sideways you have already completed most of the draw-stroke, but if things turn out fine you can put the gun back without any fuss. Even though my current job is not remotely dangerous, I still use that trick at gas stations and when walking in shady areas.
View Quote

^^^^^Nice situational awareness tip.  The only two things I would add are one: 1) it is better the pocket holster is in your front pocket as opposed in your rear pocket; and 2) personally, with a striker-fired pistol, I would not have it partially drawn out of the holster as the trigger is now exposed.  Instead, I would just have my hand on it ready to draw if needed.
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 3:48:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Who in their right mind messes with a Lineman? The toughest of the tough? Manliest of men? They're the Alpha electricians.
Don't believe me? Just ask one.

Link Posted: 9/4/2021 5:40:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

^^^^^Nice situational awareness tip.  The only two things I would add are one: 1) it is better the pocket holster is in your front pocket as opposed in your rear pocket; and 2) personally, with a striker-fired pistol, I would not have it partially drawn out of the holster as the trigger is now exposed.  Instead, I would just have my hand on it ready to draw if needed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:....The nice thing about pocket carry is you can basically get the habit and then even when you carry bigger stuff you still have the backup. It isn't even an inconvenience besides taking up a pocket.

Front pocket carry is the only pocket carry

I generally only draw the gun so it is loose from the holster, not fully out of it, so the trigger is still covered. Then if the situation cools down I can just let it drop back into the holster. I also only use guns with long DA triggers or manual safeties for pocket carry. I had a Glock 26 for a while as a pocket and summer IWB gun but it made me uncomfortable due to the short/light trigger, lack of safety, and the important things it'd be pointing at.
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 6:05:48 PM EDT
[#49]
The owner of the company told me to bring mine to work.
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 1:38:42 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:Front pocket carry is the only pocket carry

I generally only draw the gun so it is loose from the holster, not fully out of it, so the trigger is still covered. Then if the situation cools down I can just let it drop back into the holster. I also only use guns with long DA triggers or manual safeties for pocket carry. I had a Glock 26 for a while as a pocket and summer IWB gun but it made me uncomfortable due to the short/light trigger, lack of safety, and the important things it'd be pointing at.
View Quote

Actually, I know of several individuals (some who still carry a Keltec bug in their rear pants pocket in a pocket/wallet holster and others who used to carry in a rear pocket).  That is why I intentionally made the distinction between front pocket carry as opposed to the rear pocket carry......
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top