Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2005 2:51:31 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:20:58 PM EDT
[#1]
That's because no one carries small of back.  My glock 19 doesn't print with shorts and a T shirt IWB at 9 o'clock (lefty).  It's all how you carry it and your body type.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:10:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:52:13 PM EDT
[#3]
alright, calm down.  The reason very few people carry small of back is because it inacessable while on your back or seated and uncomfortable in a car.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:51:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:27:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Excellent discussion

Agreed, tell the cop you're carrying unless your carrying illegally.  Cops appreciate this as no  criminaly inclined person would reveal that they're packing.

Also agreed, open carry is the most accessable but we have to make trade-offs.

here's where i give my vehicle tactics lesson.  I recently had an excellent course and i'll impart on you some of the knoledge i picked up in that course.

I do not have issues drawing while in the drivers seat from 9:00 while seat belted, but i see where righties run into this problem.  Having fired from vehicles in both positions starting from buckled in, the easiest solution for a lefty in the passenger seat or a righty in the drivers seat is to unbuckle your seatbelt.  This is a neccecary step anyway, let me explain why.

When confronted with a potentially life-threating situation while in a vehicle there are three things you can do.  Listed from most preferrable to least preferrable:

1) Run over what it threatening you
2) Drive away
3) Get out and fight

Unless you vehicle is disabled, do not do number three.  cars are better weapons than guns and leaving alive counts as a win for good guys.  If your vehicle is disabled or stuck in traffic and you have to get out and fight...you have to get out, therefore, you have to unbuckle your seatbelt.  Cars are not cover.  a 9mm will go through both sides of a car easy.  Cars are also bullet magnets.  Get out of the car and get to real cover or if no cover is available use the pseudo-cover of your cars wheel wells.  Front wheel well is the best, rear is the quickest (rolling out of the door angles you towards the rear.)  Always exit from the side away from the threat, dive over your center console if need be.

Fist fights are more common than gunfights period, hence the need for a force continuum.  If you carry a gun, carry pepper spray and learn some basic combatives.  It's not as good as being a martial arts master, but some basic moves and a little hot sauce can go a long way in turning the tables aginst Joe average road rager.  In this situation the best thing to do once again is to drive away, however if you're stuck in traffic, or the car is disabled this isn't possible.  Note that a fender bender does't mean your car is disabled.  If somene gets confrontational at an accident, drive away and dial 911.  It's not a hit and run if you can articulate that you left because you felt threatened.  Being the first to call helps with that as well.

As a note, stuck in traffic isn't always stuck in traffic.  leave ample room when you stop and always think about escape routes in the back of your head.  Know what is drivable terrain for your vehicle.  A sidewalk or someones lawn (even through their bushes) is drivable terrain for many vehicles and is fair game if you are in danger.  If you are in mortal danger, don't be afraid to ram other cars to make an escape.  You can explain it to the insurance company if you live.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:22:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Lots of good suggestions in this thread.

I carry my XD-40 SC at about the 5:00 position, most of the time IWB tucked.  I do not find it uncomfortable to drive  with a gun in this position.  Drawing from this postion would be very difficult however.

I have sewn velcro onto a couple of nylon holsters and then stuck velcro on the underside of the dash just below the ignition switch.  This enables me to put either my pocket carry or my hip carry gun in a place that is a very quick draw and secure from bouncing around the cab, seat, GC , wherever.  It is also almost impossible to see unless your are actually in the cab.

Cheap solution that works for me.

Seydou
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:06:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:59:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Lots of good suggestions in this thread.

I carry my XD-40 SC at about the 5:00 position, most of the time IWB tucked.  I do not find it uncomfortable to drive  with a gun in this position.  Drawing from this postion would be very difficult however.

I have sewn velcro onto a couple of nylon holsters and then stuck velcro on the underside of the dash just below the ignition switch.  This enables me to put either my pocket carry or my hip carry gun in a place that is a very quick draw and secure from bouncing around the cab, seat, GC , wherever.  It is also almost impossible to see unless your are actually in the cab.

Cheap solution that works for me.

Seydou

I like this or at least a variation of it.  I think I will velcro in a universal holster into the console of my cars to prevent bouncing.  I actually wrap the guns in napkins now.  This would allow for a faster draw while being more secure from damage.

Thanks for the idea.

Tj

Happy to share, lord knows I have gotten quite a bit from visiting this site.

FWIW I had a local seamstress at a cleaners sew on the velcro.  I figured she had the right equipment and skill.  I knew she could do a better job than I could, plus it only cost a few bucks.

Good luck.

Seydou
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:15:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I like to take my gun out of it's holster when I drive and make believe I'm shooting at others on the road
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:22:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:39:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Seydou;  has your velcro'd holster under the dash ever fallen off, say while going off road or any bumpy trail or even speed bumps?  I like the idea and have thought about doing that myself, I've just never got around to trying it out.

Sorry for the hi-jack

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:42:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Seydou;  has your velcro'd holster under the dash ever fallen off, say while going off road or any bumpy trail or even speed bumps?  I like the idea and have thought about doing that myself, I've just never got around to trying it out.

Sorry for the hi-jack

jollyroger

No it has not.  However, the gun fell out of the holster during serious off-roading once, but then I remembered that the holster came with a velcro strap thumb break.  So for around town or dirt roads it is fine as is.  If I go off-road then I just use the thumb break.

I should say that the underside of my dash has a slight rake to it that facilitates retention.  That is to say it is not completely level which might necessitate the use of the thumb break all the time.  Even with the thumb break it is still a very quick draw though.

Do make sure to solidly affix the velcro to the dash when you decide its location.  Do not depend only on the adhesive of the velcro, if it is that type.  Use some strong glue.

Good luck.

Seydou
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:46:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks, I'll see what I can come up with.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top